PDA

View Full Version : Fatality on Champney Falls

Mike
08-10-2015, 12:14 PM
http://www.wmur.com/news/hiker-falls-to-his-death-while-climbing-near-waterfall-officials-say/34631276

DayTrip
08-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Not sure where historical info can be found on accident stats in the Whites but this seems like it has been a pretty bad year for fatalities and accidents. Not sure if it is the availability of so many media sources now or if it really was a bad year. Where does one find a log or record of such incidents on a year to year basis? Does that even exist?

Becca M
08-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Not sure where historical info can be found on accident stats in the Whites but this seems like it has been a pretty bad year for fatalities and accidents. Not sure if it is the availability of so many media sources now or if it really was a bad year. Where does one find a log or record of such incidents on a year to year basis? Does that even exist?

I would guess the accident rate increases with usage. There has been an increase in usage - I read recently that applicants to the 4000-footer club have doubled in the last 12 years. I would guess that correlates to general trends. We can also see the accident info from online sources such as FB such as the Pemi Valley Search & Rescue postings.