PDA

View Full Version : Your NE67 Finish

hiker0200
03-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Calling all New England 67 finishers:

I hiked the Bigelows yesterday, which puts me at 64/67 on the NE67. Now I gotta start thinking about the big finish :D . I know it's gonna be in Baxter State Park, most likely on North Brother, but I have a lot more planning to do.

My question(s) to you good folks:

How did your finish go? What mountain was your last one? Was the finish epic or something you wish you could have done on a better day? A lot of people or just a close few? Now that I'm on the home stretch, so to speak, I'm curious :) .

KPMMBM
03-21-2016, 06:15 PM
are your 3 all in BSP? if so you gotta finish on Baxter peak (Katahdin), that's were I finished, its in my top 5 hikes of all time

bikehikeskifish
03-21-2016, 06:28 PM
My NE67/NEHH finish here

Due to weather and popular demand, I reversed the desired order to finish on North Brother/Fort rather than Baxter Peak.

Tim

weatherman
03-21-2016, 06:32 PM
IMHO, every hike is great. North Brother's very nice too- just as pretty and a lot more solitude. Everyone's different- for me it was who I was with, more than anything. Finished my 67 on Ellen with my Dad, a few yards from the top of the ski area, nothing special about the peak or anything but it was with someone special. A month later I was with him on Bondcliff for his NH 48th, well into his 70s. Weather was great for both but it didn't really matter. Champagne and cake for both, though... :)

So cool that you got your 67 and 100HH on the same trip!

peakbagger
03-21-2016, 07:00 PM
North Brother is definitely a nice place to finish. At some point I expect BSP will throw a trail crew at the final approach trail and do major rebuild or relocation as its deeply eroded, in some spots 4 to 6 feet. There is a long term plan to install a new traill From Center Pond to the NW basin between Fort and Mullen and I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately the trail to Fort will be made legit and connected to the new trail.

Raven
03-21-2016, 07:07 PM
How did your finish go? What mountain was your last one? Was the finish epic or something you wish you could have done on a better day? A lot of people or just a close few? Now that I'm on the home stretch, so to speak, I'm curious :) .

My 67 finish was on Redington. It went fine and was a lovely day out. It was not epic. It was solo. I would not recommend Redington as a final peak, but I was looking at finishing the 67 as a step along the way to the NEHH, so didn't really plan an epic 67 finish.

Good luck!

Edit to add other lists:

AT Springer (2001)
NH48 Moosilauke (2001)
NE67 Redington (2005)
NEHH Boundary (2010)
NH48W West Bond (2011)

Other rounds of the 48 have finishes on Moosilauke again, Galehead, and at least one or two I can't recall....I don't plan for specific ones now to complete rounds.

hiker0200
03-21-2016, 07:17 PM
are your 3 all in BSP? if so you gotta finish on Baxter peak (Katahdin), that's were I finished, its in my top 5 hikes of all time

Two of them are in BSP- Hamlin Peak and North Brother. The other one is Spaulding Mountain. When I do Hamlin, I'll probably tack on Katahdin Baxter Peak, just 'cause :cool: .

bikehikeskifish
03-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Can't say much about Spaulding, but if all goes according to plan, I will finish my winter NE67 on North Brother in 2017.

Tim

JustBob
03-21-2016, 08:11 PM
I finished on N Brother, solo.

I spoke to the guy who runs trail maintenance in the park this past summer. He said they that their plans to relocate the upper section of the Marston Trail to N Brother where delayed due to the fact that they had to divert the crew to repairing the more popular Abol Trail. They did relocate some of the lower portion in 2014.

brobichaud
03-22-2016, 12:38 AM

Finished on Mansfield this past October with my buddy Mike. I don't think I could have made the finish any more epic if I tried... reaching the summit ~200 miles into a northbound Long Trail thru-hike. Wouldn't change a thing! :D

Summerset
03-22-2016, 06:29 AM
My son and I finished our 67 on the Bigelows. We had originally planned on finishing on Baxter, but due to scheduling issues, we ended up going to Baxter in early July of 2014 and bagging the three peaks there. Then, much like brobichaud's very cool finish, we backpacked the AT from Gorham, NH to the Bigelows and bagged all of the remaining peaks in Maine along the way. Details: here (https://nh48.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/finishing-the-ne67-an-at-backpack-part-four-7-26-14-8-10-14/). It was just the two of us at the end, and a few hikers who showed up at the summit just after we did were really kind and took our picture together on the summit. We had a gorgeous sunny day, and although not quite the Baxter finish we had planned, the Bigelows were a great finish.

peakbagger
03-22-2016, 06:59 AM
Spaulding is definitely not a special summit to finish on. Its just a spur path off the AT with an obscured view. Of the two remaining both North Brother and Hamlin are impressive but Hamlin has a nice loop. If you have chance, try to descend Hamlin Ridge Trail if its a nice day. While heading up most hikers focus on what is immediately ahead of them and miss some of the wide vistas behind them. Hiking down, the views into the North Basin and the Chimney Pond area are hard to beat anywhere in Northern New England.

Trail Boss
03-22-2016, 08:04 AM
My NE67 was also completed on Redington but I wasn't aware of it at the time. I was focused on the NE111/115 and didn't know which peak had completed the NE67 until I reviewed my list.

If you want the final peak of your NE67 to be something special, I'll concede Redington might not be the one.

sdways01
03-22-2016, 08:07 AM
I finished my 67 with a winter hike of Mansfield. I was finishing up my NE67 in a single year and as I neared the end, I wanted to finish that goal at the same time as finishing my first visit to each of the 67 (I had done all the NH48 before trying for the NE67 in one year). As with almost all my hikes, I hiked solo. I did summit with a nice man from Maine that was skiing/hiking up for a nice ski loop back down. I told him what I just finished up once we were at the summit. It was a great day and nice way to finish, but what would make it the most "epic" would be the conditions. I didn't have crampons for the expected ice above Taft Lodge, so I went up the Profanity Trail. That turned out to be a bit hard to follow and very soft down low and only used by skiers coming down. It was steep and I was periodically postholing to my knees even with snowshoes. I came down the path the skiers use from the slopes to get to the summit and asked permission to hike the ski trail until it's a short distance through the trees back to the LT.

Given your options, I'd finish on Hamlin Peak. Even though my hike up the Saddle then down Hamlin Ridge was in the clouds, you pass over some great terrain and will have plenty of views. North Brother is nice and would be a quieter hike though. And I'll agree that Spaulding is probably the most lack luster of the 3. It has some nice trails leading to it, but the view is as stated, a bit obscured.

The Sikes
03-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Both times ended on Abraham in Maine. Wasn't planned that way...just the way it worked out.

IQuest
03-22-2016, 11:56 AM
I finished on Redington in '09. I was stuck on 63 for 4 years until I dove up with my dog, hiked Sugarloaf, Spaulding, & Abraham the first day, slept in my truck at the AT crossing on Caribou Valley Rd, then hiked the Crockers and Redington on the second day. It wasn't very epic but I was glad to finally finish that list and enjoy some quality time with my dog. I think we only saw a couple people the first day near Spaulding Shelter and none on the second day. It was memorable none the less.

DMOutdoors
03-22-2016, 12:46 PM
I finished my NE67 on North Brother, with my brother in June 2013. It was pretty awesome. We had hiked every single one together. We stayed at Neso. Campground for two weekend nights...it was the weekend of a Super Moon. Although we had a little bit of overcast and a passing shower during the day (we did the whole 4-pack), that night, it was clear and we watched the Super Moon from the campground with a nice cold beer.
A brotherly NE67 Finish (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-brotherly-new-england-4000-footer.html)

My winter 67 finish was a solo trip to North Brother.

Peppersass
03-22-2016, 12:52 PM
#67 was North Brother. A beautiful day and two days after Baxter/Hamlin. We wanted to enjoy the stay up there and not be too burnt out.

1SlowHiker
03-22-2016, 02:50 PM
North Brother for me too (090513). Not planned - It just worked out that way. Actually finished 15 minutes before Tim :D because he skirted NB before he did Fort so he could finish his 67 and 100 together.

bikehikeskifish
03-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Who left you a beer, Marvin?

Tim

hiker0200
03-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Interesting stories, everyone!

If I can, I'm gonna do the 4-pack. Depends on who goes with me and how physically fit/accustomed to rough trails they are. Hopefully the climb up Mt. Coe isn't too rough...

akafuzzjones
03-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Finished the first round of 67 on Sugarloaf, then finished the second round of 67 on Sugarloaf, and will finish the third round on, you guessed it, Sugarloaf (only have Abraham, Spaulding, and Sugarloaf left). None of them were "planned", they just happened as other trips got planned and cancelled.

1SlowHiker
03-23-2016, 06:05 AM
Who left you a beer, Marvin?

Tim and it was good after that long day - tanks

yogi
03-23-2016, 06:26 AM
I finished the 67 and 100 on Fort in June 2005.
We spent the first night at Roaring Brook and looped both Katahdin peaks on day one, including a slick trip over the knife edge.
The second night we stayed at Kidney Pond, and then looped Coe (up the slide), the Brothers and finished on Fort and out Marston.
It was wet all weekend, especially soaking on the route to Fort due to the scrub.
There's nothing quite like spending 4 hours with 5 hikers wearing stinky wet clothes and boots, partially dried next to a damp smoky fire pit.

Mike P.
03-23-2016, 08:41 PM
Finished the 65 (at that Time) on Moriah finishing NH & NE. Had done Spaulding on the Way to Abraham from Sugarloaf. Had my mom & wife join me on Moriah & it was a hike both could do. Had initially thought of the doing the ADK 46 first. In order to do the 115, I had to go back & do Redington, so that ended up as #67. Love the view from Hamlin.

When I did NH, round two, I ended on Cannon where non-hiking family members got to ride the tram. As I finish the 46 some day, I'll end on Nippletop as it was the last of the 15 or so I had left with a trail that the kids could hike. Just a few left, keep going back & doing favorites. (it's an old avatar, they will be 13 & 16 by the end of school)

The three you have left all have decent hikes. I don't recall if they run the chair up Sugarloaf like they do Killington, if they did a less fit hiking friend not interested in the 67 could ride up and then just do the walk out to Spaulding. The knees might have to tackle the downhill as they likely could not ride down the chair.

Stan
03-23-2016, 11:04 PM
We finished the NE 67 on Killington ... just worked out that way because it was Columbus Day weekend and we had a soccer tournament on Saturday in western Mass. and headed north afterwards. It was the only peak we hiked that we spent the afternoon at a bar on the summit watching the Patriots ... it was 1998 and watching the Patriots was still an exercise in futility. We concluded that no matter how the Patriots did, we'd rather spend the day on an uncivilized summit.

OnAClearDay
03-24-2016, 08:58 AM
North Brother for the NE67 and NE115 finish because it was the most Northern peak on the list(s) . It was a toss up between finishing on the most Northern or the most Eastern (I had been hiking my way East) but the most Northern won due to it's remoteness and lesser traffic in comparison. Added neighboring Coe, S Brother and Fort on that day because there's always another worthy list to work on.. (turned out I enjoyed Fort the most in BSP due to the challenge of reaching it, it's even greater remoteness and the great views)

Tom Rankin
03-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Regular: 48 / 67 / 115 - Carrigain - A great place to finish!
Winter: 48 - Adams, 67 / 115 - North Brother - Nothing wrong with finishing on either of these, as long as it's a nice day above tree line!

Cumulus
03-24-2016, 08:36 PM
I finished the NH4K on Moosilauke with a lot of friends and family. I finished the NE4K on Bigelow-Avery with a through hiker who happened to be taking a break there. I finished the ADK46 and NE111 on Whiteface with a few friends and family. I finished the NEFF on Gore alone. I finished the Catskill 35 on Blackhead with one friend.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 33/115 (25/67, 8/46, 0/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 39/48; NEHH 81/100
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get [i]somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Daniel Eagan
03-25-2016, 09:35 AM
NE111 on Lafayette, after Lincoln; NE Hundred Highest on Baldpate.

Ending on North Brother would be great, but if you're there you may as well go over to Fort.

Anywhere you finish will be worth it.

Bombadil
03-25-2016, 07:26 PM
My NE67 finish was a triple finish of NH48/NE67/NEHH on W. Bond in the Winter of 2011. It was my first time up the Bonds so breaking trail between Bondcliff and Bond was interesting. We got off route staying along the ridge instead of making the right hand turn into the trees. A broken snowshoe thanks to a spruce trap goblin made it interesting. We only wished we had brought 2 bottles of champagne for the walk from Bondcliff to Lincoln Woods instead of 1.

My NE67/NEHH winter finish was on Moosilauke in the Winter of 2013. Pretty straightforward and nice to finish on one of my favorite mountains after going to school nearby.

Enjoy your finish, they're all special in their own unique way. Except for Cabot--everybody has their own least favorite. I never liked that mountain and a close encounter with a bear cub and momma bear are not easily forgotten.

Pat

maineguy
03-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Killington...yawn
Just worked out that way

una_dogger
03-27-2016, 08:44 AM
I saved the Bonds for last so I could finish the 67/48/111 all on W Bond. It was a beautiful early autumn day in 2008. I hiked it just with my husband and my dog as a LW>Z Rd traverse. I'm not into big parties :)

Well it seems everyone else has added so my other finishes were:

W48 Adams and Madison -2010 - ended up being Mad because the weather was iffy so Ad was a reasonable choice for a first get that day

NEHH - Chain of Ponds Snow 2011 (?). Just such a long drive for one peak, I left it hanging a few years until finally we decided to knock it off on a weekday.

ADK46 - Saddleback in 2007. What a great day and definitely a choice to save the best for last. Memorial Day weekend, lots of rotted snow, a group of maybe 5 went with me?

Have finished 6 rounds of the 48: 2nd on Moriah, 3rd on Tecumseh, 4th on Passaconaway, 5th on N Tripyramid, 6th on Isolation. None really planned, just ended up that way.

Tahoma
03-31-2016, 07:40 AM
I finished my 67 on North Brother in winter with only 1 friend. It was a clear day but windy and very cold. For me, this was a great way to end it, gazing upon my favorite and what I feel is the most majestic and unrivaled mountain east of the Rockies (Katahdin).
I would say you cant go wrong finishing on any of the peaks you have left. Certainly Spaulding lacks some of the grandeur of the other 2 but the experience is all inside you.
go with what the weather, the mountains and your ability say is right and it will be soecial.

Seeker
04-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Finished my 67 in 2004 on Old Speck with Metsky, who sweetly surprised me with a split of Champagne. It was a beautiful day with terrific views. Great place to end, but there are so many good ones to choose from. I think my favorites are the Bigelows and Hamlin peak. The views from Hamlin are like no others IMO.

Finished my 48 in 2000 on Carrigain also with Metsky (who finished his 2nd round at that time), another friend who was finishing his 4th (5th?) round, and 2 other friends who also finishing their 48 for the 1st time. It was late October, and we were surprised by a snowstorm, so no views for me! Still a very fun hike.

rich99
07-06-2016, 07:04 AM
My NE67 finish was this last march 18th on Owl's head at midnight after a snow fall, by moonlight, without using the headlamp. Whacked the black pond trail without finding the herd path and broke trail to summit, it was much longer than I thought. The next day and 5 hours after I finished the hike, it was the 19th, last of winter. I was surprised by 6 friends that joined for Tecumseh. We then went to Moosilauke where we celebrated the finish of the W67 and W115 on a perfect sunny day. We took the wrong route up and followed an abandoned trail on our knees most of the time. It was awesome, we drank 4000'er IPA at the summit and had to run away from the frigid winds.

On another note, my ADK46 finish was on Blake, pretty deceitful summit, not much views, not even an indication of summit. I came back to it two days ago and felt how special this summit is now.

Enjoy your finish!

Tom Rankin
07-07-2016, 05:41 AM
Not to be too much of a buzzkill, but are glass bottles allowed in the WMNF? They are not allowed in NY State Forest Preserves. And before someone asks, yes, I've been guilty of this sin a few times, but now that I know the regs, I try to observe them. And besides, cans are lighter, pack down more easily, and unlike years ago, the beer tastes great!

jniehof
07-07-2016, 07:45 AM
Not to be too much of a buzzkill, but are glass bottles allowed in the WMNF? They are not allowed in NY State Forest Preserves. And before someone asks, yes, I've been guilty of this sin a few times, but now that I know the regs, I try to observe them. And besides, cans are lighter, pack down more easily, and unlike years ago, the beer tastes great!
Yes, they're permitted. I'm surprised NY bans glass and not cans (like the BWCAW).

Stan
07-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Buzzkill from a bottle or buzz from a bottle? We save our celebration 'til the trailhead because that's when, technically and practically, the fete is accomplished.

Tim Horn
07-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Mine was on Baxter Peak. My constant companion Marie finished on Hamlin. We did not really "save" Katahdin for any reason other than we hate crowds and it is always just a bit too busy for my taste. Still the beer when we got back to the camp site was awesome.
We still have Panther hanging over are heads for the HH finish. I would like to finish but not from the swath or the provincial park side. Has to be a clean bushwhack finish from the US side.
When we finished the 48 we shared a small bottle of bubbly but since then we wait for the return to camp to celebrate. Our worst injuries have all occurred at the end of the day, usually in sight of the road. :)

Tom Rankin
07-08-2016, 06:39 AM
Yes, they're permitted. I'm surprised NY bans glass and not cans (like the BWCAW).Cans don't shatter into lots of small, sharp pieces.

Stan, I was just trying to say that it's ok to celebrate, but follow the rules.

Most of the time a bottle of champagne or beer is passed around several people, not a lot of chance for a buzz from that.