PDA

View Full Version : Speck Pond in Winter

MindlessMariachi
01-01-2019, 10:00 PM
I want to do a simple out-and-back from Grafton Notch and winter camp at Speck Pond. I've been up Old Speck a bunch of times in winter, although it's been a looooong time. I remember once trying to hike down to the Pond, and things got nutty steep, and I lost the unbroken trail, wound up waist-deep in snow and then bailed on the whole thing. I can't really find much by way of winter trip reports of people descending into the Pond from the Old Speck summit. Anyone done this in the winter? Any tips?

egilbe
01-02-2019, 04:53 PM
It's something I always wanted to try, but after climbing up old speck from Speck pond last year during the remnants of Hurricane Harvey, I can't imagine the descent into the pond from that side. Might be easier from success Pond road.

MindlessMariachi
01-02-2019, 08:47 PM
do you have any reason to believe Success Pond Road is passable in my wife's Subaru??? I've never done winter trips there because I never wanted to show up and find I couldn't get down the road.

(Short of buying a snowmobile, what I should be doing is getting a pulk and upping my XC skiing game ... but for now, can the Subie get down that road?)