PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a relaxed camping spot 2 hours from Boston

shimooka
04-27-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm new to Boston and looking for a nice camping spot for an overnighter for my girlfriend and I this weekend. Either car-camping in a nice spot or a short hike in to a backpacker campsite. Nothing too hard-core. And within about 2 hours from Boston if possible.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Any waterfalls or rivers? Nice peaks? Thanks much.

pbernard
04-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Most, not all, private and public campgrounds in MA,VT, and NH do not open until just before Memorial day. You could try a BP to one of the shelters on the AT in the Berkshires or just over the line in VT, that would be about two hours from Boston. I think the cabins are open at Mohawk Trail State Forest in Charlemont, MA (Rt. 2 west) also. Worth a try and not far from Greylock.

KayakDan
04-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Monadnock State Park (http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/Monadnock/Monadnock.html) is just what you're looking for. Short hike in,or the road may be open by now. Lot's of trails,and of course there's the summit.

jfb
04-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Hancock Campground on the Kancamagus Highway is about 2 hours from Boston, has car camping or you can hike a few yards to a site along the river.

woodstrider
04-27-2005, 03:12 PM
The AT runs thru it and there is a rather new shelter on the trail. I thought it was a lovely place. No challenge as far as hiking- it's rather flat.

shimooka
04-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the info. Monadnock State Park looks really cool. I did a search for Hancock Campground but couldn't get a real sense of what it is like. I also found a site in Mass that is Army Corps of Engineers land, Tully Lake, but I need to call and see if they're open. Sounds a bit more secluded, campsites around a lake, a waterfall nearby... anyone try this place?

Thanks again.

jfb
04-28-2005, 07:17 AM
Here's a map of Hancock Campground. It's just east of the Loon Mountain ski area. Hancock (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/white/recreation/camping/maps/hancock.gif)