PDA

View Full Version : Trail conditions on Old Bridle Path

sli74
05-24-2005, 07:59 AM
I am curious if anyone has any idea what gear will be needed to get to Greenleaf Hut . . . Thanks in advance.

sli74

nartreb
05-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Still plenty of snow on the ground as of Wednesday, from about 3500 feet up to the hut. Above treeline is totally dry. Didn't do the OBP but got a good look at it from above - lots of snow-free patches in areas exposed to sunlight. You should be able to reach the hut in bare boots, but consider bringing lightweight and easy-to-remove traction aids if you've got 'em. Definitely bring poles, but I wouldn't bother with snowshoes.

sli74
05-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Thank you . . . hopefully we'll be able to bareboot it.

sli74

Mike P.
05-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Should be abe to bare boot as hardest features below hut, the Agonies get ample sunshine. Have not been this year but in prior May's open areas on ridge & agonies clear before snow in woods & above hut. Snow above hut is usually in easier places too, & by now should be packed so should be able to bareboot it.

I'd only bring crampons if I wanted to carry them (I may Saturday) or I was planning to descend Little Haystack either by Franconia Ridge Trail towards Liberty or Falling Waters & even on Falling Waters you'd probably be fine without them.

nartreb
05-24-2005, 05:27 PM
There's a new condition report (http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/3496.html) for OBP. Looks like it's been getting some snow the past few days.