PDA

View Full Version : Best wa from Route 2 to Underhill State Park for Mansfield

Mike P.
06-21-2005, 04:55 PM
It's been almost 12 years since I've been using Rand McNally as my guide, 13 since they were my trai guide but that's another story.

I recall getting off Exit 11 & driving into Essex Junction so I must had taken 117 & then 15 to River, Pleasent Valley & then Mountain Road.

Thanks to DeLorme it looks like jericho Road, thru a place called Jericho Center is shorter but not the same type of road. appears much shorter.

Comments thoughts? Want to spend my time hiking, possible loop up Sunset & down Halfway with soem time along teh ridge would be preferred to additional driving.

bobandgeri
06-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Here are the directions we posted on our Trip Report (http://rbhayes.net/mansfield.html) from last Fall:

Directions to the trailhead:Take Exit 11 off I89 onto Rt 117. Almost immediately take a right on Governor Peck Road. Follow it to the end and take a left onto Brown's Trace Road. Follow this to the end and take a right onto Rt 15. Go a short distance to a fork, take the right fork (River Road) to Underhill Center. There the road continues with a new name, Pleasant Valley Road. After about a mile Mountain Road forks off to the right, follow it to the park.

Waumbek
06-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Don't go to Essex Junction. Go straight north through Jericho Center. I'm doing this from memory so bear with me (pun intended). Get off I-89 at Exit 11 (Richmond). Make a right at the end of the ramp and then the very next right. Don't miss that second right. It comes up fast. A few seconds, literally. Follow that road (I believe it's Gov. Peck) until it tees with another road. Make a left. This will take you into Jericho Center. Keep on truckin' through until you reach Pleasant Valley Road, another tee junction. A time-temp sign will be on your left. Make a right onto Pleasant Valley Road. Follow that a few miles until you come to Big Mike's (or Big Somebody's gas station--it's the only station on that road). That's on the left. Fork right there and follow PVR into Underhill Center. Here's the part I'm less certain about--I think you follow PVR until you see a right for USP. Would that be Mountain Road? Don't even think about speeding anywhere on this route after you turn off I-89. They really mean 35! It is patroled all the time.

Mike P.
06-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks folks, both of you seem to agree with the going through Jericho Center. I'll try it

Don't speed, now I think I may know why I went the other way :p