PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Avatar posting

Strummystick
07-12-2005, 07:57 AM
I did what I thought was a posting of my first avatar but nothing happened. Does it have to wait for an administrator's OK after I log out, or did I just screw it up in some way? I did read all the Avatar directions in the Help section [FAQ] but it didn't mention anything about a delay before changes. I clipped the "custom" button, "browsed to the picture I wanted to post, and entered it in. Any ideas on where I could have screwed up, or will time take care of my problem? Strummystick

spencer
07-12-2005, 07:59 AM
I've never experienced a delay. In fact, I just switched my avatar a few minutes ago and it worked instantly.

Did you get an error message that your avatar was too big? It has to be at or less than 150 x 150 pixels and 100 kb.

spencer

MichaelJ
07-12-2005, 08:21 AM
The browse only picks the file name. Did you submit the change? There's another button...

Strummystick
07-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Maybe it was too big, but it didn't send me any message to that effect. I submitted a picture that I had. I'll try again, looking for other buttons (although I did hit the "change" one at the bottom. I'm off to work now. Anybody with other ideas?

MichaelJ
07-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Well, if you did {Browse} to pick it, then did {Save changes} that's the right thing to have done.

As long as you met the requirements for size (both file size and pixel dimensions) it should have just worked, or given a clear response as to why it didn't.

Strummystick
07-13-2005, 05:45 AM
I tried again ... and this time it did indeed say that my picture was too big. That kind of surprised me, because it was taken at 1.3 mp. Does anybody know how to adjust a picture so it meets the pixel and file size standards but still looks as sharp as the Avatars I'm seeing here. (I have Microsoft Photo Editor) Strummystick

MichaelJ
07-13-2005, 06:55 AM
I have no idea how to do it in Windows, only on Linux and on a Mac.

The thing you need to do is crop as desired, rescale (may also be called resize with resampling) to no larger than 150x150, then save withOUT any of the EXIF info.

EXIF info is the thumbnail of the picture that you see on the screen of the camera, plus all the information about the shot (date, shutter speed, etc.)

If nobody has a Windows answer for you, feel free to email it to me (msaletni at yahoo dot com) and I can hit it over the head and make it work.

bobandgeri
07-13-2005, 06:57 AM
I tried again ... and this time it did indeed say that my picture was too big. That kind of surprised me, because it was taken at 1.3 mp. Does anybody know how to adjust a picture so it meets the pixel and file size standards but still looks as sharp as the Avatars I'm seeing here. (I have Microsoft Photo Editor) Strummystick

You need to resize the pic to be no larger than 150x150 pixels. If you can't do it with the software you have, we would be glad to ressize it for you - just email us the photo.

Quack
07-13-2005, 02:07 PM
All you have to do is open the picture in Photo Editor, click on image (in the menu bar) and select resize. Then use the up/down arrows to adjust the size of the pic. You can select the size to be displayed in pixels in a small drop down menu at the bottom of the resize window. Then all's you gotz to do is save as and post away!

Good luck.

dave.m
07-13-2005, 02:49 PM
And be sure to use the following Photo Editor feature:
Image/Special Effects/Demullet

Quack
07-14-2005, 06:43 AM

Boooooooooo! Don't EVER use this feature!

Mr. X
07-14-2005, 10:56 AM

That's a Camaro mullet!

dave.m
07-14-2005, 11:01 AM
No, no. It's a clearly a soccer-mullet. You know, sort of the male version of the women's-softball-mullet. The shirt is a dead give away. Plus, no shell necklace is visible.

Now, for the person who gave me a red square for my post to this thread, could you pretty please explain why? Seriously. I *think* I know, but it would be real helpful if you could be more clear.

LenDawg
07-14-2005, 06:45 PM
I have used paintbrush to resize it. Not sure if that is the best way, but it works.

Strummystick
07-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Thank you all for these ideas. I'll be giving them a try ASAP (or at least when I get around to it). Keep your eyes open for a silly looking guy in his 50's playing a tiny travel guitar on top of Stratton.