PDA

View Full Version : Avatar's too big

ecc
11-04-2003, 05:26 PM
I used to have an avatar before the site crashed. Now I can't get any of my pics small enough to use. Even my old avatar is too big. I'm using the Jpeg format. When I get the file size down small enough to be accepted by the program, is is a mere speck. What am I doing wrong?
ecc

rdl
11-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Describing how to make your image small enough to work as an avatar really depends on what graphics editing software you use. In general terms, starting by reducing the dimensions of the image to something less than 150x150 pixels. Save the image and see what the file size is in bytes. You can do this either within the graphics program you're using, or from Windows explorer by selecting the properties of the file. If the image is still greater than 20,000 bytes, you can either reduce the color density or reduce the dimensions again. Continue until the file is less than 20K bytes.

el-bagr
11-05-2003, 08:06 AM
Increase jpeg compression rate! My digital photos come out at about 900k taken at my favorite settings. Playing around with Photoshop, the effective jpeg compression rate at those camera settings is 90%. You can increase compression to 50% and save size tremendously (decrease to 90k) without giving up much quality for web viewing.

Combined with the other approaches, you can make it!

ecc
11-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks, guys. What I ended up doing is using the "Save for web" function in PhotoShop. It feels good to have an avatar again!
ecc

ecc
11-06-2003, 08:39 PM
Yes, I do like to show different paintings. This is Slide Mt with Giant Ledge in the foreground as seen from a shoulder of Panther (Catskills). See the posts about "Best views in the Catskills". Thanks for noticing.
ecc

HikerBob
01-20-2004, 09:18 PM
For a simple image editor that is free! Try Irfanview which can be found at www.irfanview.com (http://www.irfanview.com/)

I use PhotShop for most of my image editing needs but Irfanview loads quickly, handles resizing in a snap and when you save the image you can uncheck all the additional info boxes!

I had the hardest time trying to get a decent looking avitar image and kept playing with jpeg compression. I finally remembered all the additional info my camera adds to an image file, things like exposure, focal length, phase of the moon (just kidding)

Saving without this excess baggage made for a MUCH smaller file.

Bob