PDA

View Full Version : info about....

Cactus Jack
08-14-2005, 11:36 PM
...hiking in the Colorado Rockies? I see a lot of stuff about the hiking back east, but very little (if anything noticable) about the mountains here in Colorado. With that in mind, would you consider a section for the mountains in different areas or perhaps different states? I know a number of hikers here where I'm living and I think there could be some traffic if there's a place for it.

Perhaps I'm a bit wierd, but I love desert mountain hikes. The Uncompahgre Plateau, Grand Mesa, Bookcliffs, Roan Cliffs, White River Basin, stuff like that. Some are desert some aren't. All are hikable though. Maybe I'm half blind, but I never did see an info section for hikes/trails, either.(?)

Peakbagr
08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
The General Backcountry forum is for Non-Northeast questions. There are often posts about other areas of the country there.

darren
08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Been there done that. This site has been online for just over 10 years. Way back in the day, I used to have sections for other areas of the country and had gear reviews and ice climbing info etc etc etc. The site got way too big for two reasons: 1) cost - there were over 45,000 users (compared to a couple thousand now) and the traffic charges were huge and 2) time - I did not have enough time to keep up with the site (I have a real job and I like to get outside too). I ditched a bunch of the sections of the site to knock it down to a reasonable size. So, if you weren't here 6 to 8 years ago, then I'm sad to say that you missed the boat. I can not expand the site. Even though the site just focuses on the Northeast, it's current growth rate has me wondering if I will be able to keep it under control in the years to come.

- darren

RGF1
08-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I often post about Colorado and answer questions about both Co and WY I spend time near Aspen as well as NH .
You might have to do a seach or ask a question . I am happy to answer
I think my Avatar gives it away .

Cactus Jack
08-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Aspen, you say? I'm just over the hill (SE) from you then.

RGF1
08-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Cactus Jack that would some hill then or a number of them over 14,000 .

Cactus Jack
08-17-2005, 12:53 AM
Figuratively speaking, of course.