PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Basics Sticky?

MattC
08-23-2005, 06:39 AM
Just throwing this out there. It seems there are frequently threads by "newbies" wanting to know the basics. Would it make sense to have a short, locked, sticky thread at the top of each forum stating the basic stuff?
Nothing specific to an area, just the "Ten Essentials", that kind of stuff.

Matt

Blue
08-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Maybe a link to Dave Metsky's website too in the thread? When I was new, it meant more to me than the WMG because it had pictures and trip reports. It also has suggestions for beginner hikes and a description of each 4K.

dr_wu002
08-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Just throwing this out there. It seems there are frequently threads by "newbies" wanting to know the basics. Would it make sense to have a short, locked, sticky thread at the top of each forum stating the basic stuff?
Nothing specific to an area, just the "Ten Essentials", that kind of stuff.

Matt
This would be an endless debate about what the "Ten Essentials" should be. Based on the last post where someone asked a question, I'd say that 10 people had 10 unique "essentials."

People should just do a search or post a question.

My Ten Essentials would start off with Brain, move on to Watch (http://myteacher.dvusd.com:81/pictures/Rschulz/CLOCK.jpg), and end with appendix. I don't think the sticky would work. Shoot, I don't even have an appendix anymore! Waaahh!

-Dr. Wu

sapblatt
08-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Have to agree with the good Dr. Wu...it would get out of hand quickly, and we would scare away a lot of people who could learn from this site.

Let's see...for summer dayhikes *... :D

1 - 14 - point, front-pointing crampons
2 - Ice Axe (and back up)
3 - Headlamp with four back ups (plus a few dozen lithium batteries, just in case)
4 - Extra food for 1-2 months
5 - Snake bite kit
6 - Bear cannister
7 - Axe
8 - Toilet paper
9 - 200 feet of rope (not sure what to do with this :confused: )
10 - Assorted pitons, carabiners, jumars, ascenders, etc. (definitley do not know what to do with these, however, the carbiners seem to be great at clipping hats to my pack) :p

Be safe out there.

* This is humor...relax! :)

The real Ten Essentials, which I actually do carry:

AMC Ten Essentials (http://www.outdoors.org/activities/hiking/hiking-essentials.cfm)

DougPaul
08-23-2005, 11:33 AM
IMO, some links to info sources and a list of good howto books might be appropriate. Trying to provide all the info ourselves is likely to be overwhelming.

Doug

Rick
08-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Does anybody else besides me have cupcakes on their 10 essentials list??? :D

Warren
08-24-2005, 07:07 AM
I would love to see a modern updated version of the old Distilled Wisdom FAQ.

I never really thought that VFTT would be the best forum for that (It's something like 13 chapters or longer). Partly because the forum gets old posts flushed every year or so, old questions get asked again and again. It used to be annoying but I think it gives the new comers a chance to raise the question for themselves. Since off topic and chat type threads are disallowed reviewing the old topics allows the newer members something to post or ask about without being perpetually told to read the FAQ.

Though I've wandered from the original idea for a hiking basics sticky, I have a similar opinion on it, I don't think the board is noisy with such questions that a sticky is needed and to have some of the same topics come up from time to time has it benefits.

DougPaul
08-24-2005, 01:04 PM
I would love to see a modern updated version of the old Distilled Wisdom FAQ.
The Distilled Wisdom is still being posted to Rec.backcountry. Still lots of good info in them. One chapter (of 28) is automatically posted every day by (a bot run by) Eugene Miya.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are available on a website somewhere.

Doug

Warren
08-25-2005, 07:18 AM
I haven't looked for it in about a year, and I did find it on web site, but it did not seem to be updated. It was pretty much the same document I came across in the early 90's. What I'd like to see is one that is revised every year or so. Also while I didn't state it above it's a distilled wisdom with a NE emphasis that I'd like to see.

BLE
08-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Maybe a link to Dave Metsky's website too in the thread? When I was new, it meant more to me than the WMG because it had pictures and trip reports. It also has suggestions for beginner hikes and a description of each 4K.

I completely agree with Blue's comment. During the mid to late nineties, I too found DM's site to be a *gold mine* of information. It was my primary introduction to hiking in the whites.

Mr. X
08-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Maybe there could be a general "Links" area on the site. You do realize we're basically planning work for Darren & Co. I would set this at low priority for now.

imarchant
08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Maybe there could be a general "Links" area on the site.

Actually there is one. It can be accessed from the main page. It is a little outdated, but as you said this is and should be a low priorty.
LINK (http://www.vftt.org/info.html)