PDA

View Full Version : Linking an avatar?

Doc McPeak
08-23-2005, 09:07 AM
I made a little 150x150 .gif "movie" avatar and tried to link it from an external website to use as my avatar, for it is larger than the usual 25k allowed. Are all avatars uploaded, or can they be linked?

darren
08-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Avatars can be linked. Go to User Cp and then click on Edit Avatar on the left. The screen will say:

Use Custom Avatar
You may upload a new custom image using the controls below. Either enter the URL to the image you wish to use, or use the upload control to upload an image directly from your own computer.
Enter Avatar URL:

[blank field for link to other server]

Upload an Avatar From Your Computer:

[blank field for location of local file]

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 150 by 150 pixels or 24.4 KB (whichever is smaller).

The reason for the 25k limit is twofold. First if it is on my server, it saves disk space. Second, it prevents large files from slowing down page downloads for people who use dialup access to the internet. I do not know if you can link to a file bigger than 25k (I haven't tested it), but for the sake of people with dialup connections, please do not exceed 25k too much.

- darren

Doc McPeak
08-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Second, it prevents large files from slowing down page downloads for people who use dialup access to the internet. I do not know if you can link to a file bigger than 25k (I haven't tested it), but for the sake of people with dialup connections, please do not exceed 25k too much.
- darren

It won't allow over 25k, probably for the above reasons. I hadn't thought of the download slowing the whole page down, especially if you have posted more than once in the same thread.

David Metsky
08-23-2005, 10:05 AM
It won't allow over 25k, probably for the above reasons. I hadn't thought of the download slowing the whole page down, especially if you have posted more than once in the same thread.
Actually, if you post multiple times in a thread it won't change the load time, as subsequent uses will just hit the cache. But graphics intensive sites tend to bog down rather quickly under load.

-dave-

Jay H
08-23-2005, 10:16 AM
..and if you are on dialup (like I am at home), you can simply turn off the avatars if you feel like it in your "User CP" page...

..but then why would not want to see our pretty faces or lobster chefs or shaking moose... :D

Jay

Pete_Hickey
08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Avatars can be linked. Go to User Cp and then click on Edit Avatar on the left. ......

Not exactly. The machine hosting this site ALWAYS provides the avatar. There are two ways in which an avatar can be loaded onto this machine. One is by direct download from a user's machine, and the other if from the user providing a URL of the link, and this hosting site obtaining it from there.

Thus, the size limit set by this site, is maintained, since it is always this site with the avatar.

PROOF: Submit an avatar by providing the URL. Change the contents of that URL. Your avatar does not change.