PDA

View Full Version : I am new here and I have a question?

crystaljc
08-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Hello everyone. I was wondering why some of you have a photo posted and some of you don't and how do I post one if I want to have one?

Thanks,

David Metsky
08-26-2005, 10:03 AM
On the menu bar up top there's a link called "User CP". Click on that and go to Edit Avatar. You can upload a small picture (there are size restrictions) that will be included on all your posts.

And welcome aboard.

-dave-

shamples
08-26-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm a relative newbie also, but my guess would be to better recognize people out on the trails if they remember your avatar photo. I've been meaning to find the time to hunt down a good picture to throw up, but just either haven't had the time or keep forgetting... or like now, I'm posting on here from work when I shouldn't. HAHA

HockeyPuck
08-26-2005, 10:16 AM
There is also very helpful Avitar info in the "cool Picture under user name (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7764)" thread in the Site Feedback adn Help forum

WhiteMTHike
08-26-2005, 11:35 AM
I use this guy as my avatar because he's much cuter than I. :)

Clown
08-26-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm also a newbie here. I posted a photo, but you can't really see me anyways.... I think it's interesting to kinda put a face to a user-name.

ripple
08-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I think it's interesting to kinda put a face to a user-name.

I swear I don't look like my avatar!!!

WhiteMTHike
08-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I LOVE beautiful kitties and I encourage everyone to follow suit, if applicable.

cantdog,

He's no kittie, he's a 25 pounder. He's currently on the South Beach Diet for felines. :)

LenDawg
08-26-2005, 07:19 PM
My avatar is me driving a car.

WhiteMTHike
08-26-2005, 10:56 PM
... Is that a second kitty I see in the upper right corner?

Yes, that's his brother in the background. I call him the "lightweight", he's only 23 pounds. I couldn't get the avatar the right size to get both of them in the picture. It ended up being too big. Eventually I'll re-crop it so the other guy can get his fair share of publicity. :)

Clown
08-27-2005, 08:05 AM
I swear I don't look like my avatar!!!

I was going to say, you might need a shave or something.... :)

crystaljc
08-27-2005, 08:18 AM
I KNOW IT IS NOT A HIKING PICTURE BUT IT WAS THE ONLY ONE I HAD ON MY COMPUTER! Thanks for helping me figure out how to post one.

ALGonquin Bob
08-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Welcome, Crystal! Good to see that you have your avatar. Keep hiking and taking pictures, and maybe you'll find another photo that you'll want to use, although your current avatar is fine with me. It's good to see photos of the VFTT members. I change mine regularly - my current one is an abstract-high contrast view of the ground taken from the top of Blue Mountain's (NY) fire tower. Bob (ALG)

RoySwkr
08-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Hello everyone. I was wondering why some of you have a photo posted and some of you don't ...
I used to have a photo posted but I don't anymore. The moderator of this board pays for it himself with the help of donations and the bandwidth of transmitting photos is a substantial part of the bandwidth of the site. Last time he had a fund-raising campaign I didn't contribute because I was unemployed but I removed my photo to save him some $$. Photos also cause a page to load slower on dialup connections.

Someone was going to look into whether you could link into a photo elsewhere (like a free photo site) but never got an answer. You can also post a link to a photo in your profile and only those who want to see it will look at it.

ALGonquin Bob
08-27-2005, 10:25 AM
These avatars are a max of 150x150 PIXELS - a very small file size. If Darren requests that we discontinue the use of avatars, I'll do so. Otherwise, I think that the little photos add much to the enjoyment of this web site.

Undershaft
08-27-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm a newbie to this site too. The information I've gotten is top notch and I can't believe how friendly everyone is on these forums. One of the reasons I think it is such a great site is the avatars. It adds something unique to the posts and allows members to become more than just a username and an opinion. I hope to post one soon (if I can get some good self pics when I go on my hiking trip next month). Thank you Darren for allowing us to have these avatars!

audrey
08-28-2005, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't mind looking like my avatar. Welcome, Crystal.

bobmak
08-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Welcome Crystal! Enjoy the site!

My avatar is a picture of a dog that thinks it's a human that has been reincarnated as a goddess (most likely Artemis)!

Double Bow
08-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Mine is me at work 9-5 (or later) M-F... and you wonder why I enjoy bushwhacking!

Pete_Hickey
08-29-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't look anything like my avatar. You see, in reality, I'm a dog. I run into a lot of prejudice here, being a dog, so I make believe I'm human....

My real name is Rover.

una_dogger
08-29-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't look anything like my avatar. You see, in reality, I'm a dog. I run into a lot of prejudice here, being a dog, so I make believe I'm human....

My real name is Rover.

OMG, you crack me up! I keep coming back for my daily dose of Pete Hickisms, errrr...I mean Roverisms.... :o :o

bobmak
08-29-2005, 08:32 PM

My real name is Rover.

Rover... Chica is looking for a macho shirtless dog that weilds a mean ax! :D

Periwinkle
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
I am my avatar. :)

But, it my next life, I want to be Audrey's avatar. I'll be blonde (always wanted to be blonde!), beautiful, trim and athletic -- full of joy and enthusiasm -- bounding up the trails. And I'll hike all the coolest places with Pat & Audrey while they haul my food and water. :D

--M.
08-30-2005, 11:42 AM
You know, you guys crack me up.

Darren, I want to complain about all this useless dribble [SICK!].

Enjoying y'all today,

--Mike.

ps: I have approximately 200 photos from the Franconia-to-Madison hike you guys provided info for (esp. you, DM). Once I shrink one or two, I'll change my avatar. Meanwhile, guess how many people are at the other end of the bridge in my current one and I'll, I don't know, aim red squares at the villain of your choice. Cheers.

Puck
08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
I am hiking in my avatar. The water is pure and does not require treatment. The brook crossings are never dangerous. There is alway M&ms left in the trail mix. Nobody snores in the shelters. And the trail have no litter.

I am dead and this is heaven

Dugan
08-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Rover... Chica is looking for a macho shirtless dog that weilds a mean ax! :D

Chica may want to ask if he's neutered...