PDA

View Full Version : deliverance moments

king tut
08-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Alright, after replying to a previous thread, i was just wondering are there any moments in the wild when people have just been scared out of their u know whats while camping or hiking?

cp2000
08-26-2005, 08:57 PM
well there was that one time with the midget and the billy goat, but.....................................I dont wanna talk about it.

:eek:

una_dogger
08-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Alright, after replying to a previous thread, i was just wondering are there any moments in the wild when people have just been scared out of their u know whats while camping or hiking?

Yes, when I was on the Long Trail solo last year I kept crossing paths with a couple of guys who really made me nervous. Not your typical hikers, poorly equipped, out of shape, wearing camo.
One guy starts barking at my dog, who was a young adult at the time and on her first long trip. Don't ask me why he was doing this, but it has taken me about a year of counter conditioning to train her not to bark at men on the trail.

Mark Schaefer
08-27-2005, 01:32 AM
In 1990 I was solo camped at Flowed Lands in the Adirondacks, part of the bear alley. I was about a half mile from the nearest lean-to. Twice during the night I was awaken to blood curdling human shrieks from the across the lake. Campers at those lean-tos were fending off bear raids. The shrieks were unnerving, but I immediately recognized what was happening. I was not particularly worried as I kept a clean campsite, having neither cooked nor eaten at my site. And I was glad that I had camped away from the lean-to sites.

teejay
08-27-2005, 04:19 AM
Devil's Toooooooombstone. Not scary, but definitely, and doubly "wierd."

teejay

Dalraida
08-27-2005, 05:49 AM
On my second trip to Scotland I was doing a BP from Glasgow to Ft William on the 90 mile West Highland Way trail when I made a wrong turn and ended up at a farm where they were "barning hay". When I asked the guys which way was the "West Highland Way" I immediately knew I had asked the wrong question.....

Rob S
08-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Devil's Toooooooombstone. Not scary, but definitely, and doubly "wierd."

teejay

Got that right! WR1 and WR2 ..... :D :D

I still laugh when I think about Darren's impersonations of them ...... :D

Undershaft
08-27-2005, 03:48 PM
What is the "Devil's Tombstone"? I've never heard of it. Is it in the WMNF?

sierra
08-27-2005, 05:50 PM
When I first moved to Co and started hiking and spending time out in the woods I was a little nerved. I was unfamiliar with the land, the campsites are far in even on the dirt roads and I was soloing. so after growing up in the Whites and always being around people it took getting used to, besides I had heard in alot of areas there are plenty of "yahoos" roaming around.
Well anyway one night Im hanging out near my truck, 10 miles in on a lonely dirt road when a pickup approaches and stops. This dude gets out looking way ratty, complete with HUGE hunting knife on belt and shotgun in pickup window. Anyway I offer him a beer (peace offering) and he sucks it down, then says" IM going to meet some buddies we will swing by later and hang out. Now what am I to say, no thanks Im good, to be honest he didnt look that understanding. He left and I stewed on this for 10 minutes tops, I jumped in my truck and moved camp to a completly different area even climbed a different mountain, the way I saw of it nothing good was going to come of hanging with these good ole boys, one more note, I do keep a side arm when that far out but the thought that I might need it didnt work for me either, I guess at my age I rather avoid a fight then win one.

blacklab2020
08-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Not human encounter related... but stories with enough concern to be related...

First night out on an 8 day trip... we are hiking after dark and are taking a rest on a log... For some reason we had started talking about the blair witch project and some other witch related things... Its pitch black and after about a couple minutes of conversation we heard this insanely loud crashing sound... I tried to take off running with 50 lb pack on my back... didnt get far. Thought it was a rock slide... In reality... it was a tree, about 100 feet off, that came down.

Second instance... rappelling off Baboquivari... we were sitting below a headwall with a rock shute above us... The ropes were tied together and thus we had to pull the knot down this couloir filled with loose rock... well of course there came a point when we thought the knot had hooked on something.... We gave it a good yank and it came free... within a few seconds we heard this thundering sound....So i yelled for everyone to get in agains the wall thinking all the loose rock in that couloir had been set free.... 20 seconds later i am wondering why there were no rocks splintering to pieces off the ledge we were on... just then a little cesna flies around the southeast arete of the peak. It was the sound of the airplane all along.

sp1936
08-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Spend some time in the Great Gulf. It's haunted. Just listen.

Steve

Rob S
08-27-2005, 07:49 PM
What is the "Devil's Tombstone"? I've never heard of it. Is it in the WMNF?

Nope. It's a campground on Route 214 in the Catskills famous for it's dynamic duo caretakers. :D And it was the staging area for Jay's 2004 "Devil's Path Charity Hike" for TBTS.

Neil
08-27-2005, 08:00 PM
I've got one.

This came right on the tail of being charged by a grizzly while solo hiking in the CDN Rockies.

Somewhat jittery I strolled into the designated backcountry campsite and happen upon a guy standing around like he dosn't quite belong there. He's sporting army fatigues, big leather gloves and his neck is covered by some sort of kerchief. Me, I'm wearing jean cutoffs and nothing else. He has a big hat and sun glasses on.

"So, this is it", says he with finality in his voice.

"Yup, this sure is one nice place", says I with a chipper tone to my voice.

"This is it", replies my back country buddy.

"This is it all right" Now I really wonder what the hell is going on.

For a third time, "This is it"

Being nerve wracked from the grizzly charge I wonder if this weirdo is about to out with the old equilizer and do me in but no, he's just another hiker. The next morning he came to see me and tell me that all his food got eaten by a wolverine during the night.

Tuco
08-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Sapblatt posted this in a trip report, but when we got two minutes into a pitch black night hike on the Valley Way trail this "thing" comes charging us- my first thought was that it was a wolf. We could only see its eyes shining. There was a moment when I thought he wasn't going to stop.

He finally stopped, but until daylight I kept looking over my shoulder to see if he was coming :o Turned out to be a dog. Barely into the woods, and thats how a 13 mile day started :)

Darwin
08-27-2005, 09:21 PM
It was in early November 2003 on a weekday and I pulled up to the edmands path trailhead to hike Mount Eisenhower. It was snowing at a pretty heavy clip with very little visibility. When I got out of my car I realized there was a car right next to mine with a man sleeping across the front seats. He was dressed in a t-shirt and blue jeans and sneakers with no visible signs of hiking gear. It just seemed odd to me so I was a little nervous. I donned my pack and started hiking as fast as I could. I reached the summit had a bite to eat and reluctantly turned around and sped down the same way I had come. I never saw the car or the man again but what did kind of scare me was the fresh foot prints in the snow right beside mine up until treeline and then they seemed to just turn around and go back down the trail. The fact that there was fresh snow and I Knew that I was the only one on the trail atleast to my knowledge, was a little creepy. When I got down to the parking lot the guy and the car were gone,and there were no other tracks or signs of any other vehichles or hikers around. I don't know, I guess I get freaked out easy somtimes, but that time I think it was really somthing wierd!

Periwinkle
08-27-2005, 11:04 PM

The "Deliverance Moment" is a different story -- being creeped out by an odd person my dog didn't like (the dog's instincts are better than mine). That gave me the willies, but as for being really scared...

(Okay y'all, skip my campfire story if you've heard it before)....

On my first "true" solo (without a dog), I decided to do Jefferson via the Caps Ridge Trail on a partly cloudy day. As is my usual, I got a late start. As the clouds rushed up from the west across the Presis, I had windows of view. I kept going up even after meeting the last group before me heading back down. When I arrived at the summit, the clouds cleared again as I walked around checking out the views from every direction. I didn't see another soul for miles.

When I walked back to the cairn near the summit to take some pictures, I heard horrible, evil laughter that made my hair stand on end. Knowing I had just walked around and hadn't seen anyone in sight, I tried to tell myself I was just hearing things and continued doing my thing, taking my summit pictures. Then I hear the laugh again, just below me towards the Monticello Lawn. There was no one there. It creeped me out so badly that I grabbed my gear and started running back down the trail.

Common sense overcame irrational fear quickly. I forced myself to sit down and get myself together. Snapping my leg in half rock hopping at top speed running from nothing? Nah, didn't want to have to explain that to S&R. I had a harsh chat with myself and headed down at a normal pace.

What really gave me pause was later seeing a picture I took at the summit. There is a large glowing green spot in the picture I was taking when I first heard the lunatic laughter.

I've never been so scared since, even solo night hiking. Never want to be either. It's the weirdest thing I've ever experienced.

HighHorse
08-28-2005, 12:20 AM
yo periwinkle, any chance you'd post that photo?

AntlerPeak
08-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Back in the 90's my son and I were hiking south along the ridge below Mt Success toward Gentian Pond on the AT. We saw this large long haired unshaven fellow hiking toward us. He was wearing one of those string tee shirts and scruffy work boots, nothing else. He simply grunted something inaudible and keep going. We crossed over a nameless bump where we encountered a solo female hiker moving toward us at a rapid clip. I asked her if she were trying to catch the fellow up ahead. She said no why, I answered at your rate of speed you will catch him soon enough and I don't think you want to. She inquired why, I described the fellow, in general terms. She paled said a nervous thank you and walked very slowly.

Head
08-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Heres our Deliverance moment on Bearpen Mountain :o (http://www.birdheadstudios.com/funsite/video/catskills/bearpen.wmv) :eek:

Maddy
08-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Deliverance x2
I was camping and staying at the "winter cabin" Grout pond area of Southern VT. My Akita was with me and we were sleeping in the bunk room. In the middle of the night I hear this incredible amoun't of noise, like someone is trying to destroy the cabin with an ax or a sledge hammer. I grab my headlamp and put my Kita on a leash. She was not a barker and for this I was grateful. It took about 15 minutes but finally Bob emerged. He had taken down the front door which had no lock. He walked into the bunk room and his first words were "you have a dog." He tried to befriend the Akita but she would have none of that. She maintained her flat affect. Then came..."hi, my name is Bob, what's your name? Do you want breakfast?" He must have said this 100x. Drunk as a skunk. I showed no fear but was truly terrified. I grabbed my pack, jeep keys, and started to walk out keeping Kita between him and I. She was incredible. She never growled or went for him but I knew if he made one move to grab me it would be a sorry day for Bob. I believe that even in his deranged mind he knew enough to stay clear. I walked out to my Jeep, jumped in, and now Bob wants to come to. I start to drive off and I run into the "caretaker" who had heard the noise and he is walking up the road with a very large knife!!! I stop, tell him to put the knife away. (He had already lost one eye in some altercation). The two-way radio had no reception so we decided to try to find the sheriff. The fog was so dense that visibility was approx 1 foot. We finally found Matt Dillon on a back road but that took about an hour. HE knew right off who Bob was. He had personally dropped him off with his tent at Grout telling him to go to bed and stop causing trouble. Bob had been beating on his significant other earlier that evening and I guess she didn't press charges so the sheriff took him away to Grout for a campout. By the time we got back to the cabin Bob had burned all of my belongings, the shelves, and anything else he could round up for a fire.
Matt Dillon takes him away and I take the caretaker out to breakfast.
On our way back to Grout, we see someone lying in the road. Can you guess who it was? Our Bob....again! By now I am screaming at him to get out of the road before someone runs him over. He can hardly wal We got him over to the ditch and left him there. I don't know what became of him but we never saw him again.
Part 2
Camping at Grout again. Middle of the night I hear a vehicle driving around, stopping, and two men are at my tent. I open the door just big enough for Kita to stick her big black bear like face out and I hear..."oh, you have a dog"!
End of discussion. They leave. Goodnight boys!
I would sooner have seen a bear.

I went back there several times but finally gave it up. Didn't feel quite safe. Not sure why. :eek: Have been back recently hiking in the area and I would go camping there again. It seemed pretty safe now but be assured that my Kodi (Kita's replacement) would be my constant companion.
Kita passsed on several years ago and I owe her big time. I am sure she is in doggie heaven getting her reward for a job well done.

una_dogger
08-28-2005, 07:34 PM
I was backpacking a section of the Long Path in NY with a friend and we had just reached a stretch before Schenemunk where the trail follows three miles of railroad track. Just before the LP turned into the woods, we see a guy coming down the track, really muscled up and wearing leather pants and bullet belts slung over his chest. We started hotfooting it to the turnoff as fast as we could (on railroad tracks with packs!) but we didn't make it in time and suddenly he's right in front of us. He just smiled and walked on by. To this day my friend and I recall him as "Rambo".

ExploreTheEast
08-28-2005, 07:47 PM
I had a Deliverance moment a few months ago, but I guess it doesn't really fall into the type of moments you guys are looking for. I went hiking along the Chattooga river in South Carolina. As I'm sure the ww crowd in here is well aware, that's where it was filmed. It was a beautiful place. I made camp near the river, talked with many of the local fisherman, visited a really nice waterfall, and took what I think is my favorite photo of the year (so far).

But no one told me I had a purty mouth. How disappointing.

Periwinkle
08-29-2005, 02:57 PM
As requested, here is the picture I took on Jefferson that day.

While looking for the picture, I also found an .mpeg I took from the summit. I had forgotten all about it. It's not terribly interesting, just clouds racing across the rocky landscape and the sound of the wind gusting, but in the background I can hear the sound of my scared hitching breathing as I scan the horizon looking for something I can't see. Sorta like something out of the Blair Witch Project. I still can't decide where it's funny or simply pathetic! If you'd like to judge for yourself, PM me.

Puck
08-29-2005, 03:36 PM
I was bicycling cross country. it was mid Nove and we were dropping south from ME to GA as fast as we could so that winter would not overtake us before we headed west. We crossed into North Carolina from Virginia, the Kerr Resevoir area. It was well after labor day and the campgrounds had long been shut down. We headed into one to stealth camp. We had spent a lot of the trip just pulling off the road aways and my friend and I were never bothered. However, as we went down the access road we past a house that was run down and lots of trasha dn stuff in the yard. Somebody watched us..we could see curtains moving.

We pitched our tent by the water in a hidden area. I made a yankee pot roast for dinner. We were cleaned up and in that sack after dark. About ten a pickup truck was driving up and down these dirt roads around the camp site looking for us. The headlights stopped and shown on our tent and held for five minutes before driving off. there was also a dog sniffing around the tent. My friend and I laid there all night waiting for the good ol boys to jump out at us...Nothing ever came of it.

una_dogger
08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Its the Glowing Jefferson Starship!!!

woodstrider
08-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Once fainted when a bear stuck it's head in the tent that my boyfriend and I were sleeping in. Boyfriend still does not believe it was a bear that caused me to scream and fall into a dead faint. How dainty of me. Oh, this was at the Livingston Pond Leanto in the 'Dacks

Once was sleeping in a hammock and in the middle of the night some animal was walking underneath me make the most G..-aweful sounds. I lay in terror, not sure what it was, too afraid to move. Finally, stoic camper personality took over and I plugged up my ears and forced myself to go to sleep. I figured that it would either kill me or not, but in any case I needed my sleep.
This was on Bellarye Mt., Catskills. I now think that it was a porcupine. It's always better to know what it is that haunts your campsite.

Once while camping in NJ I was having my sleep on when some plane flew overhead- it sounded so loud that I was sure that it was going to crash on top of us. I think that campground was close to some airport or military base.

Once I was sleeping and a deer ran down the ridge, right for my tent. I thought for sure that it would trample me to death, but instead it leaped over my tent. I've had all kinds of animals run at my tent. This always causes me to snap awake in a heart pounding, momentary, panic. But I always go back to sleep easily- I do need my sleep, afterall.

king tut
08-29-2005, 06:21 PM
I guess i'll add a moment, since i started the thread.

About 6 weeks ago i was camping out at my favorite painted rock secret hideaway in Big K and it was about 10 p.m. and i was setting up my tent in the gravel pit. Out of nowhere comes this pickup truck w/ some dude and his chick, peeling off the road and heading onto my dirt road territory, and they start chatting w/ me about the Big K and all kinds of other inconsequential things. freeked the heck out of me. The dude seemed real sketchy, asking weird questions. The other weird part of it is that just an hour or two before then, a freak storm had hit the roads between Baxter and Millinocket. There were trees all over the road and lots of branches. The road ws barely passable. Not exactly a night to just go out for a nice drive w/ the woman. So the guy is just looking at my tent and my car, and i have a weird feeling about him. A few minutes later they just left. The next few hours i was just laying in my tent waiting for a pickup truck to come back. This wouldn't seem too weird, but everytime i camp out there, there is always a truck that drives off the road and shines it's headlights onto my tent there for a few moments.

One other humorous/scary moment i will mention about wildlife. A few years back i was camping out at Mt Philo in VT, just 20 minutes south of Burlington, w/ a girlfriend. We were staying in a lean-to and I had cooked some steaks on the fire pit for dinner and had some sun chips as well w/ dinner. This being our one day off from work, naturally i was drinking some ice house beer i believe. The great thing about Mt philo is that it has the most beautiful sunset from the top of the 600 foot tall or so summitt. So we brought beer up to the summit, drank, watched the sun go down, and then watched the traffic down in the valley going towards middlebury. After this, we hiked back down to our lean to and went to sleep/passed out. Around 5 a.m., we heard this blood curtling screech. WHat the heck is that? Suddenly there were 3-4 very large 30-40 pound raccons eating my leftover steak, chips, and opening my cooler and swimming in and drinking the ice water. They were extremely loud, and appeared very rabid!They were also fighting each other for the food very intensely. The picinic table was maybe 10 or 15 feet from the lean to. We had some close up coon action. I think i was cowering inside the lean to, praying for them to leave. After a while they went away for a few minutes, and we quickly threw our things in the car, and flew out of there around 6 in the morning.

Snowshooz
08-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Periwinkle,

Your Story AND Your PICTURE absolutely Creeeped me out!! :eek: Thanks for sharing a great story!!

Snowshooz :eek:

sierra
08-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Not mountain related but' I took my younger brother to a cemetary in town, this cemetery has graves going back to the 1700's. After we walked around awile then we rode our bikes home( 2 miles), he had left his outside so I said "you better go bring it in" moments later he came running in the house, he looked scared out his mind and white as a ghost (bad pun) he said with complete honesty" I just saw a half woman floating by me in the yard" :eek: I did not doubt him and although his bike remained outside we both remained inside!!!!!

darren
08-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Periwinkle,

You are not going to believe this, but I was up on Jefferson solo once and their was no one around. I mean no one. I was really happy to have the summit to myself. I pulled out my camera and was going to get some nice pictures looking over at Adams and suddenly I heard a bone chilling cackle of a laugh that went right up my spine. I could have sworn it was right behind me. I spun around and there was nothing there. I was kind of freaked out and when I looked back towards Edmonds Col I didn't see anything either. But after I got home and checked out my pictures, I really freaked out when I saw this one. I am never, ever going back to Jefferson solo again.

- darren

Jean
08-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Nothing is scarier than seeing Harryk skinny dipping at the end of a hike. :D

keepin' on
08-30-2005, 08:54 AM
I have no really scary moments....well, it was scary for me. A few years back a buddy and I were camped in the parking lot at Cannon and wired for an early morning scoot up into the hills. His wife had us all ramped up about the bears needing their last meal before winter hit and how there was a drought so the bears were really hungry - she basically told us that we were going to be eaten if we weren’t careful. Anyway, sometime in the middle of the night I was half awake/half asleep and heard something rustling outside of our tent....it sounded HUGE! Freaked me out! I think I was dreaming because all I can remember is thinking there was a bear sniffing loudly outside the tent. I spent the rest of the night tossing and turning. We ended up making it to the Greanleaf Hut (I think) and turning back because we were unprepared for the conditions. To this day I wonder if the dream was a “warning” to keep us out of the hills and away from the bears......

Periwinkle, When I zoom in on the orb I see a child crouching in the circle part. Anyone else?

Does anyone know of any books about hauntings in the Whites or haunted mountains in general?

injektilo
08-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Periwinkle,

You are not going to believe this, but I was up on Jefferson solo once and their was no one around. I mean no one. I was really happy to have the summit to myself. I pulled out my camera and was going to get some nice pictures looking over at Adams and suddenly I heard a bone chilling cackle of a laugh that went right up my spine. I could have sworn it was right behind me. I spun around and there was nothing there. I was kind of freaked out and when I looked back towards Edmonds Col I didn't see anything either. But after I got home and checked out my pictures, I really freaked out when I saw this one. I am never, ever going back to Jefferson solo again.

- darren

:eek: is all I can say.

That was pretty funny.

dr_wu002
08-30-2005, 09:41 AM

While looking for the picture, I also found an .mpeg I took from the summit. I had forgotten all about it. It's not terribly interesting, just clouds racing across the rocky landscape and the sound of the wind gusting, but in the background I can hear the sound of my scared hitching breathing as I scan the horizon looking for something I can't see. Sorta like something out of the Blair Witch Project. I still can't decide where it's funny or simply pathetic! If you'd like to judge for yourself, PM me.
Man, I would lose my padlock if this happened to me. And then when I saw this photo that I had taken, I'd lose it again & it would rust too.

You get some award for this!

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002
08-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Periwinkle,

- darren
I lost my padlock for real. That's a crazy ghost you saw!

-Dr. Wu

DougPaul
08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Hate to be a wet blanket, but it looks to me like it might be lens flare.

Doug

KMartman
08-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Periwinkle,

- darren

Is that REALLY A REAL PICTURE? I mean not photoshopped or anything? Did you see this person or did it just appear on the pictures? Does anyone know if a female hiker lost her life there?

Super scary...IMHO..

M

RGF1
08-30-2005, 10:32 AM
I have never had any "Deliverance " or other such incedent I did run into one of the survilaist types while hiking out to Granite Peak But then I was packing a .50 caliber hand gun ( Yes I own them and do not hike in the NE with a fire arm. It is very remote Grizzley country and anything less than a .40 caliber will not stop a grizzley) so I think he figured I was a gun nut and stated talking about the "New World Order "and how he was going to build some sort of undergound hide out. I just nodded and said I had to be on my way I really did not have time to listen to his in depth details and plans it was kind of funny. I think he would tryto convince every one that the UN was taking over the world rather than hurt any one.
As For Mt Jefferson . I do not know if people remember there used to be a metal shelter in edmmunds col about 15 or more years ago. I used to hear some people unverd after spending a night there. I still think it was wind and animals I have seen a fox roaming up there. and of course the ravens . . ....?
There is a a true acount about a person who was wanted for murder who was at Grey Knob years ago. I Wonder if Dave Metsky either knows about the story and can give a good acount or a link to it. Or a RMCer who know s some of the caretakes froom the 80's I cannot recall the caretakers name but it is a unnerving story.

Periwinkle
08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
OMG! I am so GULLIBLE! You actually had me going there for a minute, Darren, and I should know better. Remind me whack you one the next time I see you! Better yet, I'm gonna have Audrey give you the spanking you deserve! :D

As to the lens flare question: No, I don't think you're being a wet blanket. I asked the same question myself and actually had the original file and picture looked at by a few so-called "experts". Inconclusive at best without examining the camera and/or recreating the conditions. The only real oddity is that the light reflects into a place that should be in shadow, tho that isn't out of the realm of possibility. Given the light conditions on the summit that day, a beam of sunlight could have caused the reflection of the green moss on the rocks.

Overall, for me it was just a very odd coincidence to have that kind thing show up given what happened at the time. I've taken thousands of pictures with that camera all over the Whites in different weather conditions. There are a few other obvious lens flares in some other photos, but they're not as large or close by or that color intensity.

Whatever it is, I think of it as my souvenir shot. It just reminds me of a bizzare experience. On the logical side of the coin, it also reminds me to NEVER react like that again, no matter what. Whatever was there (bird, animal, spirit, mean-spirited hiker with a bad sense of humor and a good Dr. Evil imitation) stayed there. It wasn't chasing me. I could have gotten hurt running from nothing.

As for looking into the light and seeing things, lots of people have commented on seeing images. Reminds me of a Rorschach test. I see the same face five times in different positions (but that's from the original large file). I dunno. Somewhere I remember reading that it's some kind of brain function to see human images in the unknown. At least that explains the image of Jesus on toast that got Ebayed, I suppose!

Davehiker
08-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Periwinkle,
I remember seeing pictures posted a while (maybe a long while) ago that were taken in the Pemi, in the area of the railroad bridge, I think. There was a thread that discussed strange things happening in that area. There was a discussion about lens flair then, too. Does anyone else remember that?

DougPaul
08-30-2005, 02:55 PM
As to the lens flare question: No, I don't think you're being a wet blanket. I asked the same question myself and actually had the original file and picture looked at by a few so-called "experts". Inconclusive at best without examining the camera and/or recreating the conditions. The only real oddity is that the light reflects into a place that should be in shadow, tho that isn't out of the realm of possibility. Given the light conditions on the summit that day, a beam of sunlight could have caused the reflection of the green moss on the rocks.

Overall, for me it was just a very odd coincidence to have that kind thing show up given what happened at the time. I've taken thousands of pictures with that camera all over the Whites in different weather conditions. There are a few other obvious lens flares in some other photos, but they're not as large or close by or that color intensity.
Remember a flare is caused by internal reflections in the lens and/or camera. (Has nothing to do with light from the scene.) It looks to me like the sun is to the upper right out of frame. A possible scenario: the direct sunlight is diffused slightly by a thin cloud layer, hits the lens, and is then flared into a dark portion of the scene. Not sure how to account for the color except that there are 2 green pixels for each red and blue in most digital camera sensors (wild guess that it might be a cause). The flared light might also be reflecting off some camera internal structure and hitting the sensor from an unusual angle which might also cause some wierd color effects. And reflections off coated lens surfaces can impart some color.

The shape--a ball with a spray out to one side--is appropriate for a flare.

Doug

Seeker
08-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I think Doug has it right. Also, a group of us were hiking in that area and heard some very upset ravens that were downright creepy sounding.

Not to rain on your parade or anything...I can imagine being unnerved up there all alone.

dr_wu002
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Remember a flare is caused by internal reflections in the lens and/or camera. (Has nothing to do with light from the scene.) It looks to me like the sun is to the upper right out of frame. A possible scenario: the direct sunlight is diffused slightly by a thin cloud layer, hits the lens, and is then flared into a dark portion of the scene. Not sure how to account for the color except that there are 2 green pixels for each red and blue in most digital camera sensors (wild guess that it might be a cause). The flared light might also be reflecting off some camera internal structure and hitting the sensor from an unusual angle which might also cause some wierd color effects. And reflections off coated lens surfaces can impart some color.

The shape--a ball with a spray out to one side--is appropriate for a flare.

Doug
I can definitely see what you're saying. But I think what Periwinkle is trying to point out is that isn't it a coincidence that the flare thing happened the same moment when she heard that awful, screaming sound.

At least it wasn't the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (http://xenafan.com/movies/ghostbusters/crowd.jpg)!

hikeritz
08-30-2005, 05:44 PM
There seems to be three subthreads here: encounters with scary animals, encounters with scary humans, and encounters of "another" kind. I'll offer something for all three. For the animals, ironically it was my wife's first backpacking trip. I took her, our son and our dog (a semi-pampered but very trail-worthy cocker spaniel) in to Three Ponds near Rumney. A nice, short, easy hike and all went wonderfully until twilight arrived. That's when the pack of coyotes started their choir practice a very short distance from our tent (at least it sounded close). I don't know who was more spooked...my wife or our dog.

For the scary humans, I'm afraid it might have been me. Check out this picture from one of my trips:

http://home.comcast.net/~hikeritz/hike_pix/stupidsuits.jpg

For now, let's just say the suits were for bug protection. I know at least one man and his son hiked by and saw us dressed like this.

And for the "other" encounter, all I really have is a story (in saga form!) I wrote after many hikes to Desolation (shelter):

http://home.comcast.net/~mcritz/prose/songs/trail_tale.htm

DougPaul
08-30-2005, 07:10 PM
I can definitely see what you're saying. But I think what Periwinkle is trying to point out is that isn't it a coincidence that the flare thing happened the same moment when she heard that awful, screaming sound.

If the green spot is indeed lens flare, then it is coincidence, pure, simple, and meaningless. Since the optics and physics don't change, anytime that picture is taken under that lighting and with that camera, a green flare will appear in the picture.

Just because she heard a scary noise about the same time she took a picture with an optical artifact doesn't mean that there is any connection. A single co-occurrance does not imply a relation.

And, as Brenda (seeker) suggests, it is quite likely that the scary noise was just a raven screeching. If so, then there is no reason to be scared by the noise.

Looks to me like both events are probably just common, ordinary events that happened close to each other. The cure is just to look for a logical explanation before concluding that something strange is going on.

Doug

SteveHiker
08-30-2005, 07:32 PM
As for looking into the light and seeing things, lots of people have commented on seeing images. Reminds me of a Rorschach test. I see the same face five times in different positions (but that's from the original large file). I dunno. Somewhere I remember reading that it's some kind of brain function to see human images in the unknown. At least that explains the image of Jesus on toast that got Ebayed, I suppose!

The term for seeing faces where there are none is pareidolia.

Check out these for more information:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/lenin.html

http://www.skepdic.com/pareidol.html

as for the sound you heard, perhaps just over the other side of the summit, someone was greeted by Dr Wu and his secret sign. :p

Periwinkle
08-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Whoa....lots of comments. Sorry if this is sort of hijacking your thread, Tut.

Answering the last few questions/comments:

I don't remember the Pemi thread at all. Was it BC?
Flare Comments: The sun was in the upper right of the photo. The outline is visible in the original larger file. I'm sure that's part of the reason, along with the scattered clouds. I don't question that.
No "rain on [my] parade", Brenda! I'm very open minded about the whole thing.
Nice saga, Hikeritz.
The Coincidence: That was exactly my point, Dr. Wu. Glad to know that came across.

I don't question anyone's opinion about this. I'm sure there is probably some very logical explanation for the whole experience. Including the fact that I was so scared -- it was my first real 4K solo -- I was a little anxious to begin with and primed with adrenalin.

In the same vein, I am a logical and rational person. If I'm afraid of something, I make a determined effort to face my fear and try to conquer it. In this case, I didn't. I was truly scared. I tried to rationalize it at the time and almost convinced myself it was a bird, animal or person, anything rational or logical, until I heard it again. My hair was standing on end. Every bit of my genetic flight or fight response was screaming "FLIGHT, b!t@h, FLIGHT! Get Out of Here. NOW!" I cracked. I ran. Poor decision? Oh, yeah, I've admitted that. But that is how I felt. Utterly terrified, just needing to get away from there.

Ultimately, I think it all comes to down to the subjectivity of human experience. I know what I felt. It can be explained logically after the fact, and I have no problem with that. It's just that I remember what it felt like -- it wasn't rational or logical, and I can't say with any degree of certainty that it was one thing or another. As I've said, I'm open minded, including having no fear of acknowledging the unknown, whatever that might be.

Grumpy
08-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Looking over the image you posted, Periwinkle, I'm quite disinclined to think that green patch is caused by lens flare or a light "leak" of some kind in the camera. The type of lens flare we'd usually see under the generally cloudy conditions (but relatively bright sky) you had when the picture was shot would manifest itself as an overall increase of "brightness" and loss of contrast in the foreground shadow areas. The pattern is not characteristic of that caused by any light leakage that I've ever seen.

In nearly 40 years of doing photography professionally, the only time I've seen anything like that green patch show up "naturally" in an image is when there's visible patch of fog or cloud (water vapor) in the scene, with a fairly bright colored light illuminating it. In this case, if the illumination were sunlight, we might see the green predominate, but there also would be evidence of other spectral colors present.

If we were considering a film image here, my prime suspicion would be that we were looking at the results of a processing error of some kind. I've actually seen that color show up in shadow areas on color slide film (Ektachrome) processed in exhausted (or nearly exhausted) chemistry. I've seen all kinds of weird colors show up in digital images, but never quite in the way the green appears in yours.

So I'm baffled, in trying to produce a "concrete" explanation for what you captured in that image.

Sometimes the Mountain Spirits just visit, I guess. A few years ago my daughter (Primadonna Grumpy) and I were enjoying PBJ sandwiches for lunch while seated in a comfy spot just below the very apex of Wright Peak, in the Adirondacks. Suddenly, a strong wind blew through, accompanied by a pronounced and very eerie whistle. The wind picked up my bandana -- which I'd laid on a rock next to me to dry out -- whirled it around a few times, then dropped it, like someone doing the dance of the seven veils. And just as quickly as it came, the wind left us. It was a magic, if somewhat spooky moment.

G.

Puck
08-31-2005, 07:57 AM
I for one, am very happy to hear some logical explanations for this apparition, I mean aberration. I want to hike Jefferson next season with my son. I hope to bring trail mix and not Scoobie snacks. Perhaps I will post the trip and go with a group...safety in numbers right?

Sleeping Giant
08-31-2005, 08:13 AM
I believe the scientific method is the most refined way man has come up with to empirically prove or disprove hypotheses. I also believe most at-first-blush inexplicable phenomena have a rational explanation.

On the other hand, I also think that logic isn't necessarily the single, sole, "right" way to think about things. Rationality isn't, in my book, the only prism through which to view the world. That is, of course, conventional heresy. But so be it. Maybe I've read too much Carlos Castaneda. But I try to balance it out with a good dose of cosmology and string theory.

So much for discussing the mind. The body loves to be exercised as much if not more so. I'm planning on climbing Madison, Adams, and Jefferson two weeeks from today, and will be on the lookout for UFOs on Adams and green blobs on Jefferson. Madison has its own ghosts for me, and I expect I'll be communing with them too.

chuck
08-31-2005, 09:32 AM
I was on Jefferson the last week in July and the ravens were making all kinds of crazy noises. I bet a raven further down out of muffled in heavy fog or wind would sound like a sinister laugh. Either way being alone on Jefferson in the fog and hearing a creepy laugh would make me want to get down quickly too.

Eric Savage
08-31-2005, 08:23 PM
I was coming down off of Peaked Mountain above North Conway after watching the July 4th fireworks when from behind us (thankfully? I wasn't alone) came a noise like a group of young girls giggling. I would have sworn that some camp group was following us down the mountain. The other guy told me it was coyotes. Any chance that coyotes would be hanging out on Jefferson's slopes?

Lizzy
08-31-2005, 08:34 PM
secondhand story --- A couple of my friends were hiking near Dunbar Brook in the Berkshires. They took one trail to the top of a ridge, saw a clearing in the distance, and saw what appeared to be an abandoned camper. A couple of seconds later, two sketchy looking dudes with axes came out of the camper and started chopping down nearby trees. Mind you, there were no roads or houses within a couple of miles. Needless to say, my friends slowly and quietly backed up and went back they way the came.

blacknblue
09-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Two friends of mine who are sisters went camping together in the wilderness a few summers ago. While in their tent, they swore they heard footsteps in the woods around them--not animals, but human footsteps. Of course they got freaked out, but the rationality in them 'knew' that it was just their imagination, so they forgot about it and slept through the night.
The newspaper the next day reported an escaped convict (murderer) who was last tracked going through that very area.

cbcbd
09-26-2005, 03:06 PM
And for the "other" encounter, all I really have is a story (in saga form!) I wrote after many hikes to Desolation (shelter):

http://home.comcast.net/~mcritz/prose/songs/trail_tale.htm
This Summer I hiked the Pemi loop and towards the end of the day when I reentered the Wilderness Trail I looked down 50 ft and saw a tall big man wearing black and walking away. I reached into my pocket to grab my watch for a time check. Looked at the time, placed it back into my pocket, looked back up and the man was gone!
I walked up a little more thinking that he had stopped by the side of the trail by a log to rest. I was really surprised when I got there and there was no one around. That freaked me out a bit and even though some claimed that it was possibly the low blood sugar making me see things it didn't matter back then. The Wilderness trail is very freaky and endless... sucks your mind and sanity away.

keb
09-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Fun thread to read, some great tales. I have less of a ghost tale and more of a question prompted a little bit more by the original post, geared more for the Catskill folks. Bearpen Mt is one of the 3500 mts and one of the only ones on private property. But, as I understand it, the 3500 club has worked with the owners to allow hikers access. That is great. So a couple of years ago a friend and I make the trek. The property is owned by a hunting club, and they maintain a hunting cabin on it. That is fine. So, it gets use, and you are expecting to see signs of civilization. All good. The property is posted with the standard generic "No Trespassing" signs with a line to fill in the ownership. Each one is filled with "BOHC" on the line. As we are hiking along we have nothing else to do but to wonder about the name of the ownership. Knowing it is a hunting club, the last two letters are fairly obvious. Then we approach the hunting cabin, where a sign all too readily (and disturbingly) answers all questions. The sign says "Ben Dover Hunting Club". Now this is disturbing and bizarre. It doesn't take Howard Stern to figure out that there is no Ben involved in the HC (if you're still having trouble understanding what I am getting at, say the name quickly all together). Plus, the No Trespassing signs were clearly marked as BOHC, not BDHC. Now a little homo-humor can be funny in a juvenile way, but why would anyone want to be associated with a hunting cabin, tucked away in the woods, with a name such as that? Lets just say, I was glad I wasn't alone, we did not linger around the cabin, and we were very glad not to run into any of the HC members.

Maybe Head has some insight into the story behind (no pun intended) the HC? Or someone else? Not that I'm anxious to go back, but this topic did resurrect my curiosity. :confused: Needless to say, that is as close to a true deliverance moment as I would like to get!

Head
09-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Maybe Head has some insight into the story behind (no pun intended) the HC? Or someone else? Not that I'm anxious to go back, but this topic did resurrect my curiosity. :confused: Needless to say, that is as close to a true deliverance moment as I would like to get!
Actually, when we passed the camp, we joked and said, 'A Deliverance skit would be a pretty funny video', so that is what we based the video on! No idea what the story is behind the camp is...It was a weird little tar papered shack though, eh?

jeanvabu
09-29-2005, 09:05 AM
I was out for close to 2 weeks on the CD trail. Beautiful country I had never seen hiking like this before (or country like that either).

1) Coyotes are really really scary when you aren't familiar with where you are. It was a beautiful night. But those coyotes kept it up all evening.
2) That same night a herd of something really really big came running through our campsite. We were worried that we would be trampled. Never did see what it was.
3) The last night on this trip we debated about the bear bag hang. After an hour we finally got it done. The next morning the tree below our food bag was shredded and HUGE paw prints were beneth it.

In general I get really spoked hiking in the dark. I consistantly think of Blair Witch and any other movie that has scared me (most scary movies do :p ).

Jen

Umsaskis
09-29-2005, 10:02 AM
This was many moons ago and we were young, which is maybe why it scared us so much, but....

When I was in college I went backpacking on the Susquehanock Trail System with a friend. She couldn't get out of the lab until evening, so we didn't get started until 10:00 at night in the pouring rain. We hiked about 2 miles with flashlights and then set up camp a fair ways off the trail. After sleeping for a couple of hours we were awakened by the sound of 2 people arguing vehemently and walking rapidly past our tent, without any lights, and on the opposite side of the tent from the trail. After they had passed, we asked each other if we had both heard it, to be certain it wasn't a dream. And we checked out the direction in the morning, and they had definitely not been on the trail, but they were moving mighty fast for being off trail at night in the pouring rain without any lights....it was a little creepy.

GBKDalton
09-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Worst I've ever run into are drunk locals on ATV's.

A family friend was backpacking with the local outing club south of Mt. Abraham in VT twenty years ago. They reached thier intended campsite and found it already occupied by an extremely sketchy guy who he now thinks might have been on the run from the law or somthing. Everyone in the group decided to tent. The next morning, sketchy guy has two dead porcupines to eat for the rest of day-he'd clubbed them during the night. Those unfortunate to be tenting closer to the shelter heard him at it.

Umsaskis
09-29-2005, 12:05 PM
I already posted a "freaky" moment, but I just remembered one of the odder moments I had hiking, and thought I'd add it....

A few years ago I climbed Stratton Mountain in Vermont, went down the other side to Stratton Pond, over to Bourne Pond, back to Stratton Pond, and out. On the first visit to Stratton Pond I stopped for lunch, and happened to notice someone hiking on the other side who had stopped for a swim (since I could see minimal clothing even at that distance, this was my assumption). Thinking this was perfectly normal, I hiked on to Bourne Pond, took a break, and started back. I hadn't gone far when I saw a man (probably the swimmer, I thought) hiking toward me down the trail carrying a bag in front of him, not wearing a shirt. Thinking that his attire was also perfectly normal, I continued hiking. As he came closer I realized that what he was wearing, in total, was a hat and boots. At this point, all normal thoughts of the appropriate way to greet a fellow hiker ("Nice day, isn't it?") fled from my head as I tried to decide whether to greet him at all (which would require looking at him, and since I am female, I thought this would be quite inappropriate), to greet him while looking down, to dart into the woods until he passed, or to completely ignore him with my eyes glued to the ground. By the time I realized what he wasn't wearing, we were too close for an un-noticed escape into the trees (and he certainly hadn't fled into the woods, which would have made it much easier). Fortunately the bag he was carrying (presumably with his clothes inside) was held in front of him strategically, so I kept my eyes down until the last second, then look up at his face for a split second and said "hi," and immediately looked down again and booked it down the trail for all I was worth.

clg898
09-29-2005, 12:08 PM
I already posted a "freaky" moment, but I just remembered one of the odder moments I had hiking, and thought I'd add it....

A few years ago I climbed Stratton Mountain in Vermont, went down the other side to Stratton Pond, over to Bourne Pond, back to Stratton Pond, and out. On the first visit to Stratton Pond I stopped for lunch, and happened to notice someone hiking on the other side who had stopped for a swim (since I could see minimal clothing even at that distance, this was my assumption). Thinking this was perfectly normal, I hiked on to Bourne Pond, took a break, and started back. I hadn't gone far when I saw a man (probably the swimmer, I thought) hiking toward me down the trail carrying a bag in front of him, not wearing a shirt. Thinking that his attire was also perfectly normal, I continued hiking. As he came closer I realized that what he was wearing, in total, was a hat and boots. At this point, all normal thoughts of the appropriate way to greet a fellow hiker ("Nice day, isn't it?") fled from my head as I tried to decide whether to greet him at all (which would require looking at him, and since I am female, I thought this would be quite inappropriate), to greet him while looking down, to dart into the woods until he passed, or to completely ignore him with my eyes glued to the ground. By the time I realized what he wasn't wearing, we were too close for an un-noticed escape into the trees (and he certainly hadn't fled into the woods, which would have made it much easier). Fortunately the bag he was carrying (presumably with his clothes inside) was held in front of him strategically, so I kept my eyes down until the last second, then look up at his face for a split second and said "hi," and immediately looked down again and booked it down the trail for all I was worth.

Did it happen to be on the summer solstice?

Umsaskis
09-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Did it happen to be on the summer solstice?

It was August - why???

clg898
09-29-2005, 12:20 PM
It was August - why???

Naked Hiking Day... you won't find it on your calendar, but there are some who like to celebrate the summer solstice with a hike au natural.

Maybe he just hates tan lines????

Nessmuk
09-29-2005, 01:49 PM
A couple of years ago early one Memorial Day weekend morning I was enjoying a loon patrolling the shoreline on the Grass Pond extension of Low's Lake, I happened to be passing a campsite known to be popular with soon-to-be-banned floatplanes. Suddenly a plane came out of nowhere overhead at tree top level, circled around and landed, pulling up at a sandy landing a few yards away from me. Where a tent would be set up at the site was not directly visible from where they pulled up.

I was quite visible standing on the sandy shore at the campsite, but they could not have known whether I had my gear set up under the trees or not (I had in fact stashed my canoe some distance away). Didn't matter, the plane pulled up and without saying a word to me the pilot and 2 other guys began quickly unloading tons of gear, coolers and the like. I guess it didn't matter if I was camped there or not, they were claiming the spot. I donned my pack, tipped my hat and headed off for a bushwhack I had planned for the next few hours. I have never seen a loon attack anything before, but as that plane taxied out the loon swam/water-walked directly toward it madly squawking all the way. It definitely seemed to be chasing the plane away, probably away from a shoreline nest that it was protecting on its patrol.

When I returned from my bushwhack they had set up a huge tent and a sprawling tarp, and a very large fire was burning in the fire ring. I called out "hello, anybody here?" loudly several times before I figured I ought to think about extinguishing the unattended fire. I noticed a bottle of Wild Turkey, 3/4 gone, sitting on a stump. At that point I heard a radio squawk from inside the tent, some guy all excited telling the other guy "I got one, there's lots of 'em, get down here". I peered under the tarp through the tent netting to see 2 cots, one with a big guy laid out cold, the other with a rifle, looked like a .22, propped against the cot.

So I head back into the woods in the direction of my canoe. The second guy was on his way back to the campsite with a rather large smallmouth bass, but he didn't see me. Seconds later I stroll into the camp behind him, fish flopping on the ground by the tent, the sleeping guy just getting up. "Nice fish" I say, "but you know the season is not open yet". "Yeah, yeah, there's lots of them in there", he says, pointing to the cove where he came from. Without saying anything else I repeated the season was not open yet a couple more times, and oh, by the way, the ranger (who I know well) comes out this way often. He finally got the hint and tossed the fish into the water. It had been out of water quite a long time but it swam away. "Thank you", I said.

I head off for the afternoon on another planned bushwhack in a differrent direction. I just had to return to see the campsite... by now I'm sure these guys are wondering who in the heck I am. I see them gutting fish in a bucket. "We got bullhead". So they did... "you'll have a good dinner on those".

I set up my primitive camp on the side of a ridge a quarter mile away, within sight of the lake. I saw the ranger's motor boat head up toward them and leave a few minutes later. Then it started... I don't know how that plane ever flew with as much lead as it was carrying. Continuous firing of the .22 for an hour or more until dark. I wondered if that poor loon was still alive, but I did not go over there to find out.

The next day on my way out I stopped by to chat with the assistant ranger who normally inspects campers and campsites from her kayak. She was told by the ranger not to even bother going over to check them out. He did not see anything at the time of his visit that was illegal, but better to stay away from these two. Probably good advice given the circumstances.

sierra
09-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Not sure if this qualifies but it has stuck with me for many years. Back in the 80's, I used to snowshoe up to Carter Notch hut, hang out, drink scotch, read and explore. Anywho, I was leaving and the hut, just outside in the front of the hut, there was the caretaker, a fairly stocky, backwoods type doing her business right there in plain view :eek: I said "good morning" and she preceded to carry on a pleasent conversation, niether being embarrsed or making any attempt to finish on my account. After a few painfull pleasantries, I bid her farewell and hoofed down nineteen mile, ever see "A clockwork orange"? it was kind of like that. ;)