PDA

View Full Version : What do the blue rep points mean?

una_dogger
08-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi;
I recently found my rep point list (and thanks to all the kind folks who have voted little green dots for me!).
I've read the info on rep points and have a pretty good grasp on how it works. I see I have a bunch of green rep rating dots :D , and one red one :( (sorry!).

Today I received a blue rep rating; what does this mean :confused: ?

How do we find out the reason for a negative rating, and rectify it; or is that not part of the system :o ??

Thanks,
Sabrina

Artex
08-30-2005, 06:38 PM
If someone gives you rep and they have less than 50 posts, it'll show up as a blue square and won't count for or against your total number.

Rik
08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Sabrina,
Don't pay too much attention to the anonomous red square. Without a comment at least they aren't of much value. I would suggest not paying too much attention to the whole system. Read a bunch of threads and you start to see pretty clearly who is "reputable".

ADK4Life
08-30-2005, 08:40 PM
We need to get rid of the square system. This is so biased and keeps people from sharing an opinion. Someone may have extensive knowledge of the hills but get a red square because another person got offended. If anything this creates hate amongst mountaineers..we should all be friends considering this fine sport/way of life we love so much.

clg898
08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
I was the blue square! Giving you rep for a thoughtful exchange on the Grizzly Man film. I used to post occassionally years ago before the board changed formats... have been lurking lots since.

Brownie
08-30-2005, 09:49 PM
How do we find out the reason for a negative rating, and rectify it; or is that not part of the system :o ??

Thanks,
Sabrina

Humm...that is a rub here isn't it?
If only you knew who the red came from you could communicate a polite exchange to sender.
But the anonymous sender chooses to cowardly hide.
Therefore, ALL anonymous red squares are totally meaningless to the issue.
So, why bother? :confused:

Anger is the most debilitating to the person who bears it, let them suffer alone!

Meanwhile, Stay on the bright side of life :)

Brownie

una_dogger
08-31-2005, 06:16 AM
Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for the blue dot, C'! :o

Hmmmm....maybe the issuer of red dots should be required to cite the issue.

Internet communication really does require a different/new set of skills; eh? It took me a while to learn to not piss people off, mainly because I use direct subject/verb statements when I communicate face to face (chosing to avoid "I" and "you" statements to maintain neutral) but when I started posting on forums I was actually criticized for this!!! Guess the internet is so intangible that some people want a little touchy feeliness....go figure!

sapblatt
08-31-2005, 06:55 AM
Hi una dogger -

Many of us put comments when we give rep, and a growing number of us sign them with our names...I know a lot of us feel like "if it is not something you want to put your name on you should not write it!"

Tom Rankin
08-31-2005, 07:45 AM
Many of us put comments when we give rep, and a growing number of us sign them with our names...I know a lot of us feel like "if it is not something you want to put your name on you should not write it!"

I don't give out a lot of reds, and I admit I do not sign them. No one has signed one for me yet, and some were just blank. I think at least some text should be required.

I could sign my name 'afka_bob', and no one but Darren would know the difference, although if he found out, I might join Bob on the banned list! :D

I agree there are problems with the system, but if you sort the users list by rep, you will see that most of those people are the ones you would expect to see up there.

I have not gotten many squares in the last month. Are people just not using it anymore?

alpinista
08-31-2005, 08:08 AM
I have only once thought about giving someone a red square. But I don't believe in doing so anonymously. I asked myself "am I willing to sign my name to this?" When I answered "no," I decided not to award the red square. I figure if you're not willing to own up to it, just pass.

dr_wu002
08-31-2005, 08:26 AM
I still get red squares occasionally but don't really give them out anymore. I enjoy giving green squares to people because I think it's fun... especially if you can write something weird in the comment section.

However, why are we still all talking about this? What is the big deal? Sure, I get unjustified red squares (some are justified though) but the ratio of unjustified red squares to unjustified green squares that I receive is quite low! I get tons of ridiculous or unsigned green squares or ones as 'repayment' for giving someone a square. I'm not asking anyone to stop because I think they're funny and I find it all amusing and plus, it's a nice way to say 'hello' to Dr. Wu. Red Squares are usually unsigned and usually I just smile because I figure someone is probably messing with me. There was an occasion where someone was giving me red squares daily for over a month and I complained to Darren about it and he rectified the situation.

The system is supposed to be fun and people make it seem like it's the gallows if you get a red square. Who gives a damn!?

Here, Mr. Jackson (http://sf.indymedia.org/uploads/so_what.jpg) has something to say about Red Squares! :D

-Dr. Wu

Double Bow
08-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Dang it, doc! Ya got it all wrong!!! THIS guy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/940000/images/_944938_stalin300.jpg) has something to say about Red Squares!

Seriously though, I can't believe people are STILL are worked up about this. It doesn't matter! Even when things were really heated on here, the reputation system didn't make a difference. I agree that it's fun to give greenies to folks. Sometimes I'll sign, other times I won't. No particular reason.

Brownie
08-31-2005, 10:24 AM
The reason we are still talking about this is because a new member asked.

Itís easy for long time members to shrug off the red squares because you have had time and experience on this site to asses the value, (or lack of it).

New members are put-off by their first experience and only ask why.
Give them (us) a break.
Try to see it from a new memberís perspective and maybe you will understand.

I agree, itís WAY more fun to give greens with silly comments.
Those are the moments I remember. :)

Brownie

king tut
08-31-2005, 10:56 AM
I agree w/ others, if you give out a red square, be a big enough person to sign your name. I rarely see a thread that is malicious enough to warrant a red square, and if i do see it, chances are darren has already locked it. If one person gives out anonymous red squares and then others follow the "if others do it, i might as well logic" one red square turns into 30. I enjoy constructive criticism, so if someone gives a red square w/ good feedback and signs their name, i think that's great. It seems like some people just give out red squares and write "you're stupid" and don't sign it. I would say that 95% of the people here focus on the positive, and that's great. It's only the minority that are angry people. But people tend to be drawn to the negative more than the positive, like not being able to look away from a car wreck. Oh well, green squares for everyone.

Mac
08-31-2005, 12:27 PM
I have received 1 red square and even though it was anonymous, I deserved it. IMHO, the rating system has helped me refine my internet communications skills. :)

ADK4Life
08-31-2005, 12:29 PM
I just got a red square for making my comments that I do not like red squares

The comment was Yada, Yada, Yada

Does the coward want to present himself to explain the point of giving the red square?

Pure stupidity.

una_dogger
08-31-2005, 12:38 PM
I have received 1 red square and even though it was anonymous, I deserved it. IMHO, the rating system has helped me refine my internet communications skills. :)

That's exactly why I was curious. I tend to operate from the principle that most people are well intended and make mistakes, criticism is constructive and useful, and that I'll benefit from it. So that was why I asked. When I went to the thread that I received the red dot on, I felt that there were a number of people engaged in a non inflammatory discussion, there was no diatribe, and people were acknowledging other's opinions prior to offering their own. In short, I felt pretty good about the discussion then and now, so I was wondering if the anonymous red dotter was not dotting in the spirit of rep points.

Puck
08-31-2005, 12:49 PM
sometimes I give somebody a green square to offset an unjustified red square they may have recieved. Perhpas I am abusing the system.

ADK4Life
08-31-2005, 12:51 PM
I like the thought of signing the squares, this allows for some maturity.

Neil
08-31-2005, 01:05 PM
IIRC the system was meant to help people determine whose beta was best. The idea/hope was that people who dished out good info would get green squared. While that may be the case to a certain extent it looks like other factors play a more determining role. Not that I mind one bit but I get green squared mainly for funny posts and only sometimes for good info or good thought provokers.

(OMG! Maybe this means I have nothing worthwile to contribute to the forum other than a few quickly forgotten chuckles. :eek: )

The threads I have started that IMO have contributed most to VFTT in the sense I think intended by the creators of this space have been info requests that have yielded tons of really valuable (at least to me) info. I would not expect to get a green square for an info request but I in the future I will give them out for good thread starters.

And thus terminates the last post I will ever send regarding the rating system. :D

SAR-EMT40
08-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Never underestimate the power of a good laugh. :D

Keith

chomp
08-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Does the coward want to present himself to explain the point of giving the red square?

Pure stupidity.

I like the thought of signing the squares, this allows for some maturity.

Hmm... asking for maturity while engaging in name calling.
:confused:

Double Bow
08-31-2005, 01:55 PM
The reason we are still talking about this is because a new member asked.

A new member asked, but existing users keep harping on it. Let go already. It doesn't matter. Red squares don't hurt anyone and green ones only make people feel good, if anything. There's really no reason to get all up in a tither about them. If someone gave you a red for no reason and it hurt your feelings, let me know and I'll give you a green but if there's no harm done, there's no issue and no sense in rattling on and on about the color of a square!

The poster learned what a blue square means 14 posts ago. Now please, can we get back to talking about something relating to outdoor activities?

ADK4Life
08-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Here is my latest red square and the comment from it, also not signed.

"wah wah wah - stop crying about red squares and you might stop getting them"

Nice Maybe the more I dislike red squares the more I will get. After time I will learn to love and understand the negative comments.

darren
08-31-2005, 05:36 PM
OK, she got her answer. Thread over.

- darren