PDA

View Full Version : Searching for short words

Bob Kittredge
09-07-2005, 11:40 AM
The site search facility seems to want character strings that are four or more characters long. I've had occasion to search for "OJI" and "GPS", and been told my search argument is too short.

It is perhaps a settable parameter?

arghman
09-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Tip: Add an asterisk, e.g. "GPS*".

David Metsky
09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
It's a restriction of vBulletin, based on the way the search index files are created. There may be a settable parameter to allow for smaller search strings but it will be fairly inefficient.

-dave-

Chip
09-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Tip: Add an asterisk, e.g. "GPS*".

This suggestion appears to work well.

darren
09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Putting short words into the search database eats up server space and more importantly server time. It would really slow things down logging and searching all of the "a the an of and" etc. on the site.

The * hint does work in some cases.

- darren

DougPaul
09-07-2005, 05:23 PM
A better approach is a stop list for function words (eg of, the, etc). The list would be short and relatively easy to implement. This would allow important acronyms such as GPS to be indexed and used in searches. Perhaps beyond the capabilities of the vBulletin software.

Doug

David Metsky
09-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Perhaps beyond the capabilities of the vBulletin software.
If it ain't already in the software, I don't think Darren is going to implement a new feature.

-dave-

DougPaul
09-07-2005, 08:02 PM
If it ain't already in the software, I don't think Darren is going to implement a new feature.
I never expected him to. I have always assumed that Darren was using a commercial package. (Seems to be confirmed by a search on vBulletin.)

I'm just pointing out that there is a much better method which is easy to implement and the software maker has chosen a poor method. Something that is worth considering for any future BBSes or upgrades.

I have some professional experience in this field--word length is a poor method of eliminating low value words from a search engine.

Doug

BrentD22
09-07-2005, 10:15 PM
If you have the google toolbar you can type in a search term like

GPS (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DVXA,DVXA:2004-49,DVXA:en&q=site:www%2Eviewsfromthetop%2Ecom+GPS) then click search current site. Might not be perfect, but see for yourself.