PDA

View Full Version : Jigger Johnson

Maddy
09-19-2005, 07:39 PM
I would like to camp at Jigger Johnson arriving Oct 3. It appears that they operate on a first come/first serve basis. What are the chances of it being filled up five days prior to the holiday weekend?
Are there any "special" sites I should check out?
Also, are dogs welcome there???

Waumbek
09-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Also, are dogs welcome there???

That is one of the very few NH campgrounds I've stayed at. Dogs are welcome--on leash.

sierra
09-19-2005, 10:44 PM
No info on camping, but a little Jigger Johnson trivia if I may. Jigger Johnson was a tough SOB, a great logger and a mean son of a gun, stood about 5 ft tall but liked the bottle and was mean as any bear in the Whites, personally I liked the guy, ( though I never did get to meeet him),

TenPeaks
09-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Since you are arriving on a Monday I would doubt you would have any problem getting a site. The campgrounds on the Kanc are usually only full from Friday's to Sunday.

Maddy
09-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Sierra...I hope to meet the "ghost" of JJ in October. Souns like quite the character.
Looking forward to the expedition.

forestgnome
09-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Agreed, You should have no problem on that Monday. Keep in mind the crowds do spike in October, but probably not until that Friday. I guess JJ is first-come-first-serve, but you can reserve sites at Covered Bridge campground. My wife and I will be staying there 9/30th. Site 49 is nice and private. ;)

Passaconaway Road is nice for walking and Kodi can swim in the Swift River.

Happy Trails!

hikeritz
09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Jigger truly was a character. Here's a link (http://www.conway.lib.nh.us/history/recenthistory/jigjohnson.htm) with some info.

rup
09-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Is that bear still making the rounds after dinner??

KayakDan
09-27-2005, 09:25 AM
We just stayed at Jigger Johnson this past Friday and arrived around 6:30. No problem getting a campsite,so I imagine a Monday would be very easy.
New prices for Kanc campgrounds-JJ is now $20.00,but for $2.00 you can have a nice hot shower,and the bathrooms have flush toilets! Way too cushy for me! :D