MSR's new Lightning Ascents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYBRAD

Reaction score
After years of using my trusty Sherpa's, I'm considering getting a new pair of shoes. :(
I really like these, but I'm wondering about the durability of them.
http://www.snowshoecenter.com/shop/product.cfm?p=804

Has anyone put them to the test yet? I don't mean on the trails, but in the thick unruly spruce trap stuff yet? I'm always a bit put off when I hear the phrase "revolution in snowshoe design". And “lightest in their class
:confused:

i've heard they're poor quality and break quickly. just by lookin' at them i wouldn't buy 'em!! :D

I have a pair of Ascent Evo's and they have been great. I've never had a piece of MSR gear let me down and I can't imagine that these are of poor quality. Just my opinion on MSR stuff in general as I don't have first hand experience with this particular model.

Last edited:
Used them last year and loved them - no issues at all.

I use these on days we think the trailis packed but want to take something along just in case. For days that we know we will be breaking trail I use a pair of the Tubbs Mountain 30

I love msr denali's.lots and lots of hard use.the newer ones have beefed up metal crampons.even beter than the old ones.I looked at the new asscents they don't look like they have as good bindings and the frames look very fragil.look for denali's on ebay on big snow days put on the removable tails.the tails make great snow stakes for winter camping.I have 5 pairs I've had for over 6-7 years only one break after 5 years HARD use free parts replacement from msr.everyone that I lend mine to or go on a trip with buys a pair.PS I've climbed the ribbon slide on gothics with my son and ran into two other guys also in msrs,we all had crampons but never needed them that day.All snowshoes will eventualy break in the field the msrs break less and are easier to repair imho.
crippled but free
I was blind all the
time I was learning to see.(GD)

Saw a few people with them last year, all who loved them. I use Redfeathers as well as the MSR Denali Ascents currently, and if I can scratch together about $200 bucks, I'll be getting a pair of the Lightnings. On another note about quality, I got my wife a pair of the Tubbs Avalanche (I think?). They were Tubbs version of a composite snowshoe similar to the MSR and the Solomons. Well, I used them one day up and over Algonquin and Iroquios and I destroyed them. Northern Outfitters sent them back to Tubbs, who took off the binding and mounted them on a new base? I thought they'd just send a new pair. Bottom line, I think the new Lightning is high quality, and I would never have concerns about them standing behind the product.

Heel lift

I tried both MSR Denali and Lightning and the major difference is that the heel lift is much higher on the Lightnings. It is good for steep slopes, but you certainly have to take it down as soon as it gets more flat. Heel lift can be useful, but it is not indispensable.

Thanks for the feedback

I have used the Denali's and although they had good traction I didn't like the stride of them. Felt like my feet were too far apart. I've tried Crescent Moon Gold series and thought the binding was the best out of all the shoes but not enough traction for steep icy slopes. They also felt great, but they were like skis on the way down in powder and ice. My wife has Atlas 1222 and I also use those when doing packed trail stuff, it's a nice shoe. I've also used Tubbs Mountain 25's and the crampon is nice. The front points are so long, it takes a bit to learn how to walk in them. I kept catching the 2 front points in the snow when on the flatter terrain. I'm sort of leaning toward them.

I'm finding it hard to part with my Sherpa Mountain Foot's with the Bill Prater step in binding. I'm just tired of fixing the lace every year. I guess what I'm looking for is a solid shoe that I can rip the binding off and retro-fit my Praters on them.
:eek:

Last edited:
I used these shoes a few times last year and found them very durable although they just don't look it. I'm very rough on equipment and these held up well. I was surprised that I have not yet broken the fabric area (fabric doesn't do the material justice). I've been using Denali's for quite some time; the Lightnings are a couple of inches longer, so after the switch I've had quite a few stumbles/trips.

I would recommend the Denali over the Lightning. I've mangled them and they keep plugging along. And nothing beats a foot raiser (well, maybe a couple of things, but not as far as shoes go).

Just for the record, the Lightning's also have foot risers. I've used mine only once and they worked well, but they were also the first shoe I used so I have no frame of reference. The build quality seems to be top notch though and I like the sheer simplicity of the bindings.

nazdarovye said:
I tested them along with two other folks for backpackgeartest.org. You'll find the reviews here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Snow Gear/Snowshoes/MSR Lightning Ascent/

They're not my favorite snowshoes, though I think they're a fine choice. I still prefer the Evo Denali Ascents, or my Northern Lites.
Naz, I have the Northern Lites too. JimB turned me on to them. Incredible shoe, huh? I was skeptical about the crampon but with a little extra care they work real good. They're so light I even took one as a spare on a rough hike with a large group and ended up lending it to someone. Have you had any problems with the heel strap?

I also have the ever present MSR Denali Ascents and they have proven to be very good in the ADK's so far. Those kick-ass crampons beat the hell out of a pair of Atlas series 10's on some steep ice last year.

I adjust the heel straps on my Northern Lites at the start of a trip and leave them fixed at that setting, as they tend to collect moisture and freeze up. I don't find it a problem since the other straps are so easy to use (pretty much the same as the MSR ones). Have you had other problems with them, or was that your observation, too?

I'm with you—the light weight is just so great, and the traction is surprisingly good with these shoes.

By way—to the person mentioning the "foot risers" on the Lightnings: only the Lightning Ascents have the televators; the new Lightnings don't have them (and thus are a few ounces lighter). I like the bars, and they are one of the things that were improved over the Denalis (a lot easier to deploy and stow).

MSR's New Lightning Ascent

I sell mSR's Tubbs , Atlas for an Outfitter, personally own Denali Ascents for my winter mountaineering set up with a pair of 8" deatachable tails. Compact lite and climb well. Tubbs are more bulky, and have seen returns come in the shop with broken bindings, blown out decking rivets, etc. Big thing I don't like about Tubbs is what they did to their Vt. based factory last fall. Sold out to K2 , moved to China & put dozens of loyal american employees on the unemployment rolls. I sell 'em cuz I have to. :

Thumbs up for the Lightning Ascents

I liked the concept -- that vertical frame components with all of their 360 degree grippiness -- and bought a pair early last season. I used them a fair amount (as often as possible, but then again there was not a lot of snow in January) and thought they were great. Where people were unintentionally surfing in their various other snowshoes, I usually had traction up and down (and it was not technique, I assure you, it was the shoes).

I used the heel lifters a couple of times and they were great as long as the slope was consistent and straight up, like the Ammo trail, but if the terrain varies they aren't worth the bother.

With my pack on I was right at the edge of the weight rating for these shoes. No problem there either. They seem plenty durable to me.

I see a similar model, without the heel lifter, is out in a 30 inch model this year.

These were just used on a bunch of White Mtn trails, so I can't tell you a whole lot about spruce trap diving with them, but I don't see any reason not to trust then there too.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I love em!

I got mine last year and seriously they've changed my winter hiking life...the quality is really really good!! The traction things help too...light too!! :D

My own snowshoe system involves two shoes. I use Denali Ascents and bring along the 8 inch tails for unbroken trails and difficult conditions. But I have a pair of these: Redfeather that I first bought for running, but have found that they work for all sorts of conditions, basically all but the most extreme. They're incredibly light, easy to use, have a great binding, have an amazing, aggressive, strong titanium crampon, and allow for a very natural stride. The pointed tails really do act like a rudder going down steep slopes, you can really move right along. They do kick up some snow onto the backs of your legs, but that can be dealt with by crampons and good tights or pants. And, if there is tons of unconsolidated snow, it's pretty hard going. But again, I am surprised how much I take these and do fine, versus the Ascents.

And you can run in these, particularly on the flats and downs if the snow is right and you are so inclined.