Montrail Insulated Kenai GTX question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Having a difficult time deciding on winter hiking boots so i bought these for app $140 and wondered if i made a mistake. I checked out the columbia bug(something) and thought they were not solid enough, the Montrail is rated to -25f...I checked out the boot threads and it is packed with info...thx..

spaddock said:
I like Montrail boots. I hike year round in my Torre GTX's. I would probably look at their winter offerings for those really cold days.

-Shayne

I second this.....

David, just because you didn't any specific replies, doesn't mean the boot is no good. There are thousands of various boots from all the mfgrs, and not everybody gets to try every one of them. My first pair of hiking boots was a set of Vasque Exodus IIs that I got cheaply at Campmor. Thought they were the best and nothing better til I tried these Montrails Torre GTX which I thought was better, so if the boot fits and works for you, great. I hike in the winter with these and have even done a couple overnighters, but a better winter boot is preferred if you are going to be doing a bunch...

Jay

Just wanted to note in case you go back to considering the Columbia Bugabootoo's again that they come up really high on the back of your shins. I can't wear mine for hiking because I get majorly chaffed there, even after a short walk. They are very, very warm though... I often wear them to work on the slushy snowy days as long as I'm not walking around too much. I've seen plenty of people wearing them so it's not an issue for everyone... but walk around a bit in them and make sure it doesn't happen to you.

- Ivy

Montrail makes great boots.they have been around for years.untill the torre gtx they tended towards heavier mountaineering boots.Their overall line is known for a narrow heel and wide toe box.fit a broad range of feet except for very narrow or low volumn feet.I have the montrail couloirs,they have a one piece seemless glove leather heel insert ie no blisters.I wear the couloirs for late fall and late winter.I wear koflach plastic in mutiday below zero conditions.

Coldfeet,
Just to throw you off a little more I went with the Columbia Icedragons that were recommended on the boot thread I started. I give them 6 stars out of 5 after our hike in the Sawtooth Range. Amazing warmth and dryness with an awesome tread which gripped like glue to wet rocks.