Novels: White Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
wondering if anyone can help here - a while back I was told of an author that has a few novels/mysteries set in the white mountains. since I have no author or titles I couldn't track it down on amazon - wondering if anyone is familiar with this author.

thanks.

There's "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King.... I think that starts on the AT in the northern Whites and is about a girl who gets lost in Stephen King land.

I vaguely remember an author with some stories set in the Whites. Can't remember the name...... ouch! One reading suggestion I have if you're interested in New England legends is to pick up a book called "Passing Strange". It's very entertaining.

Try Peter Pinkham maybe? I read one of his called Hidden Mountain I think. It wasnt bad I guess. It was evident from the descriptive way he wrote that he had hiked extensively in the area.

Jack Ketchum does a bunch of horror type stuff like Stephen King almost soley based in the New England area....

Dont know if thats who you're looking for..but he's one..

M

We've enjoyed Eslick's books.

On a related subject, don't forget to read "Look to the Mountain" by LeGrand Cannon -- pioneering in Tamworth in the shadow of the Sandwich Range.

Enjoyed his (Tom Eslick) novels very much. He also has/had some records that he put out in the mid 1970's that are very good. I have them on vinyl, don't know if they were ever put out on CD or if he released more since then.
Acoustic singer/songwriter type of stuff.

You might also enjoy a book I'm reading now: Tales Told in the Shadows of the White Mountains by Charles J. Jordan.

Mr. Eslick has a website.

Steve

Last edited:
Tom Eslick

has a few. A quick search using his name in this forum found 3 threads.

I was thinking about his books just last weekend while descending South Tripyramid because one of his books talks about the Kate Sleeper trail, one end of which is on the slide. That particular book also features a "cliffhanger" ending... on Bondcliff!

misc. hiking related books/stories

There was a post a whille back from a gentleman in the hospital looking for reading material.......see attached MS Word file for the list of all authors/books recommended by the VFTT crew.

keepin' on, thanks so much for providing that word document of recommended reading from VFTT! In the past two months or so, I've started getting back into travel/adventure reading, and so I was just recently re-reading that very thread, thinking I should type out all of the books into a list like yours...I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. thanks!
-katie

bruno said:
dude's name is (i think) tom eslick. mysteries set in da whites.

Argh! Well, so much for *that* writing idea. I don't want to be a copycat. Time to come up with something different.

(no, SherpaK, I'm not going to write the book on privies)

I'll toss in one of my top favorite New England authors to the list, Howard Frank Mosher.

bunchberry said:
...thinking I should type out all of the books into a list like yours...I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. thanks!
-katie

That list is a direct result of a slow day at work - no way would I have the discipline to do it at home on my own time.....If anyone has any suggestions not listed, I'd love to hear 'em. I'm always in the mood for a good read!

Everyone in this group should be familiar with the works of Stephen W. Meader, whose "King of the Hill," a 1932 novel of "the Passaconaway stag" that takes place in the Conway/Wonalancet region, is by far my favorite of his many books. I guess they'd be classified as "young adult" or teenagers' books nowadays... written at about the same level as the original (not, emphatically, the new) Hardy Boys or Nancy Drews.

A couple of his fans have secured rights to a number of his books. (I haunt library sales, etc., and have collected probably 35 of them over many years.)

Anyway, quite a few of his books are set in New England, and specifically New Hampshire.

This is the link of the fellows who are reprinting them. I've bought only one (T-Model Tommy), and its quality was outstanding.

http://www.southernskies.com/

I'm working on one of my own. I'll let you know when the publisher has it ready. ;)
Lately I've been reading a healthy doese of Joe Simpson for my 'adventure novel' quota. Touching The Void down, This Game of Ghosts up next. I thought South by Shackleton was fascinating, as well as Eiger Dreams for a bit of a shorter read. Although, for a true survival story, I'd also recommend A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn.

course the best hikin' book of all time is local boy jack kerouac's "dharma bums". hands down the best. may be the best book of all time--hikin' or otherwise. read it and you'll agree. :) :)