New Shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quack

Reaction score
Anyone have a good "1st time on showshoes" hike? Something uphill would be cool....

My first snowshoe hike was up Mt. Morgan, fit perfect after a big snowstorm, nice views but just becareful if you go midweek after a snowstorm, that parking lot doesn't get much attention from the plowtruck until after all the roads are clear, we had to do a little car pushing after our hike!! :)

But Willard is a great straightforward uphill hike too!

Have fun!

five_head said:
Any suggestions for the ADKs?

1st time on snowshoes hike? Mt Jo or Noonmark are fun if you don't care about a 46er. A snowshoe to Marcy Dam is good for beginners, and you can always continue on to hike Phelps if you are feeling good. Or head into Avalanche Pass for spectacular scenery. The Copperas Pond area is another option. Cascade is an easy summer hike, never did it myself in winter, ........ so that may be another choice if you want a 46er. You can always turn back if conditions are too tough.

i12climbup said:
1st time on snowshoes hike? Mt Jo or Noonmark are fun if you don't care about a 46er. A snowshoe to Marcy Dam is good for beginners, and you can always continue on to hike Phelps if you are feeling good. Or head into Avalanche Pass for spectacular scenery. The Copperas Pond area is another option. Cascade is an easy summer hike, never did it myself in winter, ........ so that may be another choice if you want a 46er. You can always turn back if conditions are too tough.

Cascade (and a quick side trip to Porter) are not too bad in Winter. There is a fair amount of elevation gain, but the whole round trip to both peaks is just over 6 miles.

I just want to point out that every dog has its day. Any mountain can be a tough, treacherous hike in the Winter. Do not underestimate them, be prepared for the worst.

If you want to read more about 'lowly Cascade', click here:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4593&highlight=lowly+cascade

If anyone is interested in Winter Catskill hiking, there are a lot of 'easy' (in comparison) winter hikes down here.