Watatic & dogs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watatic is one of my favorite hikes.

I have seen no signs prohibiting dogs but there are signs reminding hikers that the area is open to hunters. (But I think there is no hunting in Massachusetts on Sundays.) There is some use of the area by four-wheelers, especially on the Wapack Trail, north of the Watatic summit.

You can do a nice loop over Watatic then north on the Wapack to the NH state line then back on an old road (that used to be the Wapack trail route). There is a map posted on a sign near the trailhead. PM me if you want more info.

Pat T

Thanks Pat T.

I've actually done Watatic several times myself.
I was going introduce some friends to hiking, who have children of all ages
and a dog. I could'nt remember if dogs were allowed or not.

We'll turns out they just cancelled.
Looks like a good day to head for Monadnock! or any other peak for that matter.
Have a great day!

Steve

Warning!

Yes, dogs are allowed on Watatic.

However, as you approach the summit, look around VERY CAREFULLY for broken glass. If you visit the small knob to the side, watch your dog carefully while heading over there too.

I like Watatic but don't go there much because I don't want to risk cutting Dugan's paws on the glass shards.

The last time we were on Watatic, July 2004, there were a couple ATVs roaring around the summit, so I doubt very much that anything is prohibited.

I think there's a sign at the trailhead cautioning about hunting season, but it appeared to me that every day of the year was in some hunting season or other.

Steve, I just noticed that you live in Acton. Did you grow up there (here)?

Last edited: