Sign on top of Aziscohos Mtn

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Today I bushwhacked to the summit of Aziscohos Mtn - 3215' - up near Rangeley ME. It took me a while to find the "right" summit bump. Just above the jar was a small wooden sign with the words "GAS 86" routed into it. The sign was difficult to spot as it's up quite high and faces towards the thick of things.
Does anyone know what the sign means and who might have placed it there?

Onestep, it was there in 1987 when I did Aziscohos, but I never have been able to discover it's meaning, maybe Roy S. or Dennis C. has an idea. Another mountain mystery to baffle us poor peak baggers!

maybe...

that's how much gas was per gallon when it was put up!! he he he
or it could mean... gained asiscohos summit 1986 :D :eek:

New theories needed

I just checked my summit pics and notes, the sign reads Gaz, not Gas!!

goin' once......twice.....

sold!! to the guy with the orange shirt!!! :D

onestep, from what I've found out, the "other" peak on Aziscohos Mountain, which btw is far from being an obscure peak, where the fire tower was formerly located, is known as "Lower" Aziscohos, and is shown as that on local maps. The sign "Gaz 86" means "Greater" Aziscohos, and was placed there in 1986 by a local trail maintainer, who wanted to show that it is the true summit. Sounds logical to me.

Last edited:
If it reads GAS

Then it probably stands for "Geriatric Adventure Society". A group of middle-aged Dartmouth College affiliated individuals who like to bushwhack.

VT

The "GAS 86" sign was there when I did the peak too ... in 1986. I always thought it was a GAS that someone would put that up there ... ;) How about that porcelain sign that adorned Vose Spur for many years ... "Calle Ensenada" .... or something like that. I occasionally put things in the register jars I placed on bushwhack peaks also. How many of you remember the Pillsbury Dough Boy on BAKER Mtn in Maine? Or ... Joe Camel on PUFFER Mtn in the Adirondacks?