Shawangunks in the News

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
It's starting to look more and more like the Open Space Institute is going to acquire an important part of the Shawangunks that has been threatened by development for a while. If OSI does acquire this parcel, they likely would eventually pass it on to NY State and it would become part of Minnewaska State Park. Here's some pieces from the Poughkeepsie Journal:

This on discusses the above info, and the Gunks in general:

http://www.pojonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051113/NEWS04/511130356

A side story on prescribed burns, due to take place this week:

http://www.pojonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051113/NEWS04/511130358

And an interactive map detailing different parcels of the Gunks:

http://www.pojonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051111/MULTIMEDIA/51111002

Matt

Thanks Matt. The link on the first article seems to have gone bad, although it worked last night. An earlier Poughkeepsie Journal article contains much the same info:
http://www.pojonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051109/NEWS04/511090314/1008/NEWS04
Hopefully the sale will go through this coming spring.

That interactive map is nice. It shows the current the current Long Path route between the Shawangunks and the Catskills which is a long road walk. But it also shows that green corridor to the west which is the proposed new Long Path route - between Verkeerder Kill and Vernooy Kill waterfalls. I have not yet heard any specifics from the NY/NJ trail conference on when the new Long Path section will be built.

There was also an earlier thread with additional news links on the Awosting Reserve parcel.

Timely posting mcorsar. I just hiked from Sam`s Point to Lake Awosting and was highly impressed with the area. I`m glad so much is being done to perserve this area for the future generations of hikers.

Deanmacg, I'm glad you enjoyed your (first?) visit to the Gunks. Amazing place.

Mark, I don't know how, but I somehow missed that earlier thread you started. In any case, it's good news. Hopefully it happens. I didn't know about the proposed Long Path re-route leading north from High Point. This would of course render the section between Mud Pond and Verkeerderkill Falls a moot point in terms of LP implications. It will still be great to have direct access between those two points. I've walked to the end of the line at both sides and it looks to be some fine country in between.

Anyhow, back to the LP re-route. Mixed feelings about that.

Pro-eliminates the road walk

Con-Takes the LP down off the Ridge considerably sooner, and the Path looses good stuff like Rainbow Falls, Jenny Lane, and the wonderful Castle Point.

As much as I hate road walks, this is a tough call. Regardless where the LP ultimately ends up, the important thing is we get to hike to all these places, whether or not there are aqua blazes along the way. I guess it boils down to this-should the Trail Conference and hiking community get really serious about making the LP into something that could potentially be thru-hiked, or should we just accept the LP as a mish-mash of nice trails suitable for dayhiking and section-hiking?

Matt

LP closed section

mcorsar said:
Hopefully it happens. I didn't know about the proposed Long Path re-route leading north from High Point. This would of course render the section between Mud Pond and Verkeerderkill Falls a moot point in terms of LP implications. It will still be great to have direct access between those two points. I've walked to the end of the line at both sides and it looks to be some fine country in between. Matt

I'm not saying that I did it - that would be trespassing, but the views are good and I have pictures to prove it!

Fred

mcorsar - Would you believe - I`ve done the Catskills (in winter too), the Whites, and the `Dacks. I live in Poughkeepsie and that was my first trip to the southern Gunks. I`ll certainly be back next summer. It`s tele season now.

deanmacg said:
... I`ll certainly be back next summer. It`s tele season now.

Hey... what kind of attitude is that?!?! I learned the tele turn on old 210 cm woodies with lignite edges in the Gunks!