Mt Watatic - Watchusett Mileage?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a dayhike from Mt Watatic – Watchusett and I was wondering if anyone knew the mileage? I looked an a old version of the Midstate trail book and it showed it being in and around 20 miles, but I know the trail has changed several time since then. Thanks

Excellant, thanks guys. This should be a good day trip!!!

you will need written permission to cross some private property on the northern end. check out the webpage listed above for who to contact. Also, there are a few loggging operation along the way where following the trail gets pretty difficult. If you are going to the summit of Wachusett via the midstate it crosses the by the ski lodge and thru the parking lot (I only mention this because it got me pretty turned around when I did that section).

If you continue on past Wachusett, the Audubon Society is awesome (no dogs). After the Audubon there is a LONG roadwalk, bring sneakers.

keepin' on said:
you will need written permission to cross some private property on the northern end. check out the webpage listed above for who to contact. QUOTE]

I thought I saw on the website that they redirected the trail around this area?

As well thank you for the heads up on the logging areas. I do the section between Crowhill and Watchusett as a training trailrun about once a week so I have become rather familiar with it through trial and error. I do agree though, I have gotten myself very lost on that section.

Unless it has changed since this you still need permission. Here is the wording from the official website (you could email Don and ask him):

"Trail Conditions

Email Don with any updates of conditions along trail you may encounter.

June 7, 2005

This is to notify you that my family & I have come to the decision to post our property to anyone without express written permission to be on the land.

It is unfortunate that the Mid State trail crosses the property in the town of Ashburnham on the western side of Stodge Meadow Pond & the Northern side of Mount Hunger.

The Property being reffered to belongs to George, Karen & Steven Young. No Trespassing signs will be posted this coming weekend.

The reasons behind our decision are the numerous confrontations we have encountered from the Stodge Meadow Association regarding the logging operation that we had undertaken this past winter.

So as not to discriminate against anyone we feel it proper to restict access to anyone that has not obtained our written consent to be on the property.

Violators will be prosecuted if caught.

Sincerely
Steve Young

Steve Young will allow traveler's to cross his property if they send a self addressed stamped envelope requesting permission to:
George & Karen Young
15 Fred Smith Rd.
Westminster, MA 01473

Travelers will be issued a "pass card".