Heublein Tower, Connecticut: Nov. 26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
I'll be sorta leading a hiking/walking trip on Saturday, Nov. 26 to Heublein Tower in Connecticut, just outside of Hartford, among some old high school classmates. This is not in any way, shape, manner or form an arduous hike _ especially for those of us who are used to hiking in northern New England or the Daks. But it does offer some really nice views along the "ridge," looking down at Farmington Valley, and there's a cool house/tower, the Heublein Tower, that was built as a summer home to one Gilbert Heublein (the famed liquor distributors).

The last time I was there was probably more than five years ago, and I wouldn't have noticed this so I can't attest to it, but supposedly you can make out the form of Mt. Monadnock from the top.

If anyone is interested in joining, drop me a PM. We'll likely take off from the trailhead around 10 a.m. It takes all of about 40 minutes to reach the tippy top of Talcott Mountain/Heublein Tower.

Directions and other deets are here: http://dep.state.ct.us/stateparks/parks/talcott.htm

Alpinista,
This is 10 min from my house and I go there all the time, hike, run, snowshoe when I can, etc. Don't know if I can be there on Sat 11/26 though... Just a suggestion, perhaps you already know. I often do a variation of the standard hike which is super short and real crowded.

I park over in the Penwood parking area, slightly before you get to the road to the trailhead off route 185. Then I walk or run up the road, all the way to the end, past the usual signed trailhead. There's a helicopter landing area at the end of the road and a trail picks up form there and follows the ridge, eventually joining the main trail. Then you get to a viewpoint, launch area for hangliders and another small trail heads off along the ridge, that also eventually re-joins the main trail. There are lots of nice views from this section while the main trail goes in the woods. Then, once you get to the tower (it may still be open to walk up), and head back down the way you came, about 100 yards from the summit the blue trail takes off to the right. Well blazed, but not signed. This winds through some really nice woods. Only one tricky part: eventually you will climb down one large boulder, a slightly scrambly section, then go for another 100 yards or so, then the blue trail heads pretty sharply right. You stay straight or take a rough trail to the left . Either way will take you back to the main trail. In winter you can actually see the main trail through the trees here. If you stay on the blue trail you will go a much longer way back to route 185/Simsbury Road, but this can be confusing.

This whole route is about 4.5 to 5 miles and very nice. Perhaps you already know it.

There are other ways, somewhat longer, to get to the Tower starting at Albany Ave (Route 44) and going around MDC Reservoir #6 first too...

Thanks for the info, David. That actually is the way I used to hike up to the tower. It's a nice walk in the woods, and I hope the hangliders will be T'day Saturday! But I've always taken the same route down so I am hoping to find an alternative route to travel back.

Howack: When I used to live in CT, I biked occasionally at Penwood. But my fave was always the West Hartford Reservoir. I grew to know that place like the back of my hand, and haven't found another place since that I love as much to go mountain biking. :( :)

West Hartford Res is probably the best place to ride in CT. Nepuag(New Hartford), Nasahegon(Burlington), and Gay City Park (Hebron) are also up there on my list. Are there any places like West Hartford in MA??

I hear that Lynn Woods is one of the best. But I guess I grew so spoiled with the Res in West Hartford that I can't think of any other place being as good, so I've yet to explore it. I went to a couple of places in MA, the names of which escape me, but they were in Melrose and some spot off of Route 1 a few years back. Since then, I've basically done rail trails around here -- then headed north to get my outdoor fix.

BTW, I used to live in "charmington" -- right on Main Street kitty corner to the Highland (?) Market. Sweet mansion that was carved up into apartments.

Update

An update and reminder: We will be hitting the trailhead around noonish. All are welcome, and this is a great hike for kids, non-hikers, pooches and the like. This is also a great hike if you happen to be in CT and are dying to get outdoors but can't make the trek to more challenging terrain. Great views into Farmington Valley!

I live in CT, and have Hiked here about 50 times. Maybe more! If you'd like to do something different than the same route you have already done many times. I suggest you continue South on the Metacomet Trail after visiting the Tower. When you reach the Reservoir #6 parking lot, leave the Blue Trail and continue doing the Loop around the Reservoir. On the opposite end (far end) of the Reservoir. You'll find a Red Blazed Trail. The Blazes are light because this Trail is no longer maintained. Follow this Trail to the end, when you reach the Power Lines turn Right and continue along Power Lines until you reach the Blue Trail again. You won't be far from the Penwood Parking Lot when you reach the Blue Trail.