When Are Stabilicers Not Enough?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get-A-Grips???

Jeff-B posted a link for the Campmor page for Stabilicers. On the same page are three products by Get-A-Grip, the Ultra, the Advanced and the Extreme.
Has anyone tried these? What are pros and cons?
One of them is 25% off right now.

I have a friend who has hiked on Monadnock (once or more a week) using stabilicers for nearly 10 years. He had to reinforce the junction of the nylon straps to the vibram sole, as this area wore quite quickly. He used angle irons which had the added benefit of reducing the slop and slipping that is common between the bootsole and the stabilicer sole.

Another regular hiker (once a week) uses what I have observed to be a nearly ideal set up. He has stabilicers (yes with beefed up motorcycle racing screws), plus he straps a 4 point instep crampon over the whole affair.
The benefits of this set up:
1) The slop is limited as the instep crampon straps hold it all together very snug.
2) He is more comfortable on steeper sections as he can stomp in the 4 points to get extra grip as needed.
3) He is more comfortable with this set up as opposed to using the 4 points alone, which gives you no toe or heel traction.

I have yet to buy a pair for myself, as I have so many other varieties of creepers and certainly prefer skis!

Interesting Yaxtrax story I heard last year from I think it was a New Ipswitch, NH police officer. He had a call for a domestic disturbance at a residence, immediately responding from an icy conditions vehicle accident. He still had the yaxtraxs on as he entered the house and took one step onto the carpet and the coil stuck in the carpet. He fell forward and laid there until back-up and an ambulance arrived to save him from a broken limb!

Orsonab said:
Maddy - Didn't know about that newer model...looks interesting. My questions would be does the rubber make them harder to put on as you have to stretch it over the boot for a tight fit? And how durable is the rubber?

Haven't checked this thread for a while.
In response to your question, I find that they are harder to put on so I bought a bigger size for my hiking boot. Much less struggle putting them on and they still fit tight. I wear the smaller size on different shoes... for parking lot and driveway emergencies.
The rubber seems very durable. Have not had a problem and the straps work well.
I don't likle yaktrax. They just didn't last long.

Well you good folk helped convince me to buy a pair of Stabilizers.
I just returned from Kittery Trading Post ( Maine) with them.
They were in the Fishing Dept popular with the people who like to go ice fishing I would imagine.
I saw the need for something other than crampons this Sunday . Though we came across a lot of ice, conditions were still to 'bony' for the crampons which I carried.
My friend tried out her stabilizers with pretty good results, though we wondered how long they would hold up. I think she was under the impression she was purchasing Stabilizers at the time, so it is possible that the store clerk themselves were not altogether clear on the subject.
The Stabilizers were a little heavier than I thought they might be but they certainly pack up nicely.

never used them - so don't know - but I have a nice old dull set of moser 10 point encrins that I use on my leather boots in conditions like this time of year. I have a developed the skill of "cramponing on rock" with little problems - but I thinking of maybe trying these stablizers - probably safer - just a matter of time before I take a good spill on the rocks with the spikes.

Stabilicers

Two other qualities of Stabilicers besides providing ample traction on most terrain are:

1) Having an extra 3/8 inch of rubber under your feet helps protect them from snow and water thus keeping your feet warmer.

2) No points means less chance of puncturing your pants, gaitors, or an artery. :eek:

Pro's and Con's

I just (Wednesday, Nov. 23rd) got back from Monadnock and I wore my Stabilicers (original model, 3 years old) from the spring on the White Dot Trail up and all the way down. I was thinking about this thread as I was hiking and I have the following thoughts.

Stabilicers are great for conditions like today when there is ice on rocks but it isn't thick enough for crampons. However, the steeper the terrain, the balance shifts towards crampons. Moreover, anytime you are trying to get a toe hold on a rock face, stabilicers are useless.

Ok, so what about using them for things other than hiking?

I ask because I was out shoveling off my roof last night at ten pm, and under the snow was a thick layer of very smooth ice. I had a few scares, and I really don't want to fall off my roof at any time, but the idea of laying in a pile of snow in my front yard in my pajamas didn't really appeal to me much. :eek:

Sooo, just wondering if anyone thinks that stabilicers would ruin a shingled roof... I have checked all the web sits and understand that for legal reasons they probably don't want to list 'safe for walking on your icy roof' as one of the things they are good for.

Just curious. :confused:

chinooktrail said:
Ok, so what about using them for things other than hiking?

I ask because I was out shoveling off my roof last night at ten pm, and under the snow was a thick layer of very smooth ice. I had a few scares, and I really don't want to fall off my roof at any time, but the idea of laying in a pile of snow in my front yard in my pajamas didn't really appeal to me much. :eek:

Sooo, just wondering if anyone thinks that stabilicers would ruin a shingled roof... I have checked all the web sits and understand that for legal reasons they probably don't want to list 'safe for walking on your icy roof' as one of the things they are good for.

Just curious. :confused:

Being a builder, I think I can answer that. First, it depends on the condition of the ice. If the ice is such that a layer of ice will always be left, obviously, no problem. If you are able to clean the roof right to the shingles, this is where it gets dicey.

We always tell the new guys when shingling the roof the following: Place your feet on the roof and do not move them. Place them squarely on a full shigle, not the edge of the shingle. All movement when your feet are placed is to be in your knees and ankles. Do not shift your feet. Do not scrub the roof with your feet by shuffling them along. Pick your feet straight up to move them and set them back straight down, squarely on a single shigle, not the edge. On hot days, this is so important. The shingles are softer and damage easier.

At the end of the day, you can invariably see where the new guy has worked. The edges of the shingles are all scuffed and chewed. It takes a little practice.

That being said, if you can place your feet squarely on a shingle you may well be okay. They shingles are cold, so you won't poke thru them to easily. Nothing I am saying is absolute here (Lawyer's disclaimer). Probably, you will be okay, if you can keep from shuffling your feet, and your shingles are not on their last legs. And ultimately, you gotta balnce off the possible damage to shingles verses falling off the roof.

Thanks, I will give it a whirl.

Probably looking at a new roof this spring anyway, but this ice damming doesn't help matters any. :(

Sometimes being a home owner just doesn't seem worth it...

chinooktrail said:
Thanks, I will give it a whirl.

Probably looking at a new roof this spring anyway, but this ice damming doesn't help matters any. :(

Sometimes being a home owner just doesn't seem worth it...
Iffin you own an animal, owning your own home gets more important. Many rentals do not allow dogs, and more and more do not allow animals of any type.

Ultimately, whereever you live, you are paying the mortgage and taxes and upkeep. If you rent, it is called rent, and the landlord makes a profit on top to boot. Where they really make their money is when the mortgage gets old and the payments are lower, yet he can charge the current going rate.