When Are Stabilicers Not Enough?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have stabilicers, Yax Tracks, and crampons, and each have their use. I wear the crampons when it's deep enough, steep enough, or cold enough, and the others the rest of the time, but I do find they slip off my boots easily.

Come to think of it, I think I did break a Yax as well.

I also have a pair of stabilicers (the blue ones). I found they worked better on the uphill terrain. A few times, on the steeper downhills, they would slip off my heel. In one incident I slipped and fell. I solved this by attaching a small bungee cord or velcro strap from the heel to toe over the bootlaces. This seemed to help a lot. My advice is to buy a smaller size, since they can be stretched to fit. A good tool for those in between times, but will never replace my crampons.

Evolutionary Stages in the Ascent of Humankind

Yaktrax, Yaktrax Pro, and their ilk -- What you wear crossing the parking lot to get into the store to buy something more substantial and durable.

Stabilicer Lite (rubber slip-on-straps, lighter sole, fewer screw heads) -- What you wear on slopes where a slip and slide won't result in fractures, internal injuries, or brain injury, and you're too cheap to buy:

Stabilicer (Velcro straps, honkin' Vibram sole, lots o'screw heads) -- Ditto on where you wear them but they're tougher, grip like rabid monkeys, and twice as much money as the Lite version. As to when to trade up to the next stage, ask: "What happens if I fall?" If the answer is, "I slide a piece and strike something (tree, rock, bottom of cliff face) with enough force to disable me," then buy:

Crampons. What you wear when the ice, etc. is deep enough for them to grip and a slip and slide could disable you, not merely bruise you or your pride. Personally I don't hold much with four- or six-point versions, but some like 'em. Ten points are best for walking, some like twelve points for versatility and don't mind walking in them.

If you're wearing Stabilicers because there's not enough ice to hold a crampon and you're on something steep enough to hurt you in a fall, how will you self-arrest? In other words, if it's too thin for crampons plus ice axe but too steep for Stabilicers alone, find some other route.

Last edited:
Jeff-B said:
damn counterfits! The models shown at REI and LL Bean sites are the real M'coys. ;)

Not sure who's counterfeting who. Just did some research and found that "Icer's Inc" has been in production since 1989. Couldn't find a date for Stablicers.

But I do agree that the toe strap on the "Stabilicers" looks much more secure.

-Shayne

Tom Rankin said:
Now, be nice, I would have bought the better ones, if I'd known they existed! :eek: :D
The heavy ones look more reliable, but they are also rather heavy: REI lists 1 lb 12 oz. REI lists the lightweights as 10.5 oz. (Don't know if these are shipping or field weights.)

Looks like the heavies weigh as much as a decent pair of steel crampons.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Cotton straps. They will turn into a ball of ice.

Seem to remember seeing some 20-25yrs ago. Never saw anyone use them...

Doug
Gaiters over the whole set-up will cover most of the canvas straps.
No bots, obviously, so the build-up certainly may occur in the metal. But probably about the same as 6 point crampons.
What prevents build-up in the stabilicers, just their flexibility ?

spaddock said:
Not sure who's counterfeting who. Just did some research and found that "Icer's Inc" has been in production since 1989. Couldn't find a date for Stablicers.

But I do agree that the toe strap on the "Stabilicers" looks much more secure.

-Shayne

Well, I am interested enough to go to the company direct and ask, "who was first".
32North

Official weight is 24oz. and yes DP, that is nearly the weight of a standard crampon.

DougPaul said:
The heavy ones look more reliable, but they are also rather heavy: REI lists 1 lb 12 oz. REI lists the lightweights as 10.5 oz. (Don't know if these are shipping or field weights.)

Looks like the heavies weigh as much as a decent pair of steel crampons.

Doug

I don't have a backpacker's scale, being too "cheap" to own one.
;) (Sorry for any unintended offense with the earlier, offhand reference.)

So, I resort to waving around a pair of Stabilicers (Velcro version) in one hand and a pair of ten point crampons (with point guards attached, plus a spot of anti-snow duct tape in strategic places, but no anti-botts) on the other. Then I switch them back and forth between hands a few times. The 'pons feel a few ounces heavier, and the weight of their bag isn't even in the calculation yet.

I did think the Stablicers looked heavy when I first saw them and picked them up in the store. But when they're on your feet they're pretty light.

Jeff-B said:
Well, I am interested enough to go to the company direct and ask, "who was first".
32North

I did find their website, just no company history unlike: http://www.icers.nb.ca/history.html

If you contact Stablicers I'd be curious to know. Interesting that "Icers" are from New Brunswick, and "Stabliicers" are made just over the border in Maine.

"Icers" seem to be marketed more towards the elderly, and hunters rather than hikers.

-Shayne

spaddock said:
I did find their website, just no company history unlike: http://www.icers.nb.ca/history.html

If you contact Stablicers I'd be curious to know. Interesting that "Icers" are from New Brunswick, and "Stabliicers" are made just over the border in Maine.

"Icers" seem to be marketed more towards the elderly, and hunters rather than hikers.

-Shayne

WARNING: Geeky info ahead.... :eek:

OK, I did some research and more is coming. Here is the deal so far.
Stabilicers have been made in Maine since 1992, 13 years according to todays Email reply from 32 North .
They are aware of many "knock-offs" as well.

But the website you sent for Icer's Inc. certainly lays some claims to history & invention and reference US Patent numbers.
A quick search at US Patent site shows this CLAIM filed in 1990 and awarded in 1994.
Note: Stabilcers were already in production and fall outside the patent claim by Icers.

There is a lot to read and understand here, and I have some limited experience with patent info, so my take on it is they have a patent on the "curled toe" and option for "curled heel" while they reference all the other previous patents worldwide for spikes and studs.

All of the other "stud" patents are expired, past the 17 year window of royalties allowed, from what I understand.

If Stabilicers are copying anything, its just the Vibram sole, but the strap on method and studded screws are in the "public domain" for reproduction.
In fact I'll bet Vibram sells this sole to many other fabricators worldwide for varoius applications.

I Emailed back to Stabilcer at 32 North to ask specifically how thier product relates to patent info filed by Icers.
I will wait thier reply.

I always hold high respect for those inventors who seek to patent thier ideas, but only ideas which are without question unique and original.
Cleated soles, however, have been around for a very long time.

Jeff

Reactions: dms
I've used ice creeppers for a number of years for some moderate hikes & it always seems like they need to be re-adjusted every now & then. They due give a good grip & are also good for hard packed snow.

For the record, today on Cannon were perfect conditions for something more than bare boots, but where the amount of still-exposed rock and patchy snow cover would have made full or instep crampons a hinderence or danger. I spent much of the trip planning to buy Stabilicers at the spring clearance sales. :)

Chip said:
These are new GI Ice Creepers.
7 spikes, steel, cheap. I think these would be better than yaktrax or stabilicers, but not yet a full crampon.

I have a set of the full boot ones, which are the same but with the heel portion attached. They are all steel and have no toe points, which makes walking up hills interesting. On flat surfaces they're great, the points dig in well, and once they're snug, they stay in place.

I've had stabilicers for a good number of years now. I recommend them highly, for their use. Strapping them on does not equate to strapping yourself into a tank.

They are excellent for secure footing on ice and wet ice up to a certain grade. I have found that "certain grade" to be essentially whatever I would normally walk or hike over in dry summer that I could place my feet securely on the rock surface. Basically, if I can't bare boot this in summer, the stabilicers won't won't be effective.

Additionally, they are not crampons and I am not about to try to klimb an ice wall as there are no ice picks on the toes.

The main reason I like them is ease of use, just strap them on and go. They strap on securely. They are fairly small and lightweight, and hang from a toy carabiner on the outside of my pack. It's easy enough to velcro them to each other, sharp side against sharp side.

Yesterday on Big Slide my wife had the Stablilicers, I had full crampons, and I gave my 6 pointers to someone else on the trip. Stabilicers were the way to go, I only put my full crampons on at the very top where I would have put a pair of Stabilicers on much earlier.

-Shayne

Stabilicer tip

I've been using Stabilicers for about three years now. Here's a tip: when the screws wear out, replace them with the screws made for racing motorcycles on ice. They are the same size but hardened and much more durable.

IMHO Stabilicers are no substitute for crampons, however, so when the ice gets thick and hard, I switch to my 12 points.

Jeff-B said:
WARNING: Geeky info ahead.... :eek:

OK, I did some research and more is coming. Here is the deal so far.
Stabilicers have been made in Maine since 1992, 13 years according to todays Email reply from 32 North .
They are aware of many "knock-offs" as well.

But the website you sent for Icer's Inc. certainly lays some claims to history & invention and reference US Patent numbers.
A quick search at US Patent site shows this CLAIM filed in 1990 and awarded in 1994.
Note: Stabilcers were already in production and fall outside the patent claim by Icers.

There is a lot to read and understand here, and I have some limited experience with patent info, so my take on it is they have a patent on the "curled toe" and option for "curled heel" while they reference all the other previous patents worldwide for spikes and studs.

All of the other "stud" patents are expired, past the 17 year window of royalties allowed, from what I understand.

If Stabilicers are copying anything, its just the Vibram sole, but the strap on method and studded screws are in the "public domain" for reproduction.
In fact I'll bet Vibram sells this sole to many other fabricators worldwide for varoius applications.

I Emailed back to Stabilcer at 32 North to ask specifically how thier product relates to patent info filed by Icers.
I will wait thier reply.

I always hold high respect for those inventors who seek to patent thier ideas, but only ideas which are without question unique and original.
Cleated soles, however, have been around for a very long time.

Jeff

OK, here is the final follow up info direct from 32 North and makers of Stabilicers.
Hats off to Icers, Inc. and Ross Hanson as original inventor! :cool:

Email sent to Jeff-B on 11/18:
Icers actually invented the original STABILicers and we formed a licensing agreement with them to sell them too. We then developed the other products to round out our product line.
David Washburn
32north

Last edited: