When Are Stabilicers Not Enough?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
After trying Stabilicers this past weekend, and being extremely impressed with their performance, I've been starting to wonder when stabilicers aren't enough and crampons should be used.

I'm thinking about doing my first 4K in wintry conditions, and I'm curious as to whether or not Stabilicers are good enough to go above treeline for a short while (some mtn like Moosilauke or Eisenhower or something similar).

Anybody have any thoughts as to when you have to make the switch to crampons? Are stabilicers suitable for above-treeline?

Thanks!

I think it would have more to do with the steepness of the trail rather than above or below treeline. In full winter conditions and on a steep trail, I'd want those front points to aid me to the top. Stabilicers look like they would be very nice for that inbetween time where the ice isn't thick enough for full crampons.

Until they break...
I see that some people use them so I often wonder how they hold up. Are they good for a couple of times or a couple of seasons?

Last edited:
Impressed

I used them many times last winter and they look as good as new right now which shocked me as they don't look particularly sturdy (velcro straps?). As far as when to use them? Well, they are definitely suited for those freeze/thaw conditions (like now) where you get the mix of rock and ice and snow and mud. I think many people carry crampons but never put them on because they're a pain and people don't want to stop especially if you're on ice one minute and rock/mud the next. The Stabilicers handle this situation nicely. You just put them on and forget them. Having said that, once you're in the depth of winter and on a steep, ice-covered trail - I'll take the crampons and use them.

I would suggest buying them from Bean - that way if you don't like them or if you break a strap, take them back, no questions asked.

Also, I believe they're made in Maine so it's a New England product which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy for a moment.

There, feeling's gone now.

I don't know if you are using the newer model. They are rubber and fit very snuggly over your hiking boot. They really stretch to fit.
They also come with velcro strap that you can use if you plan on being in a more precarious position and are concerned that they might come off. I never had one come off. The original ones were not as stable and I did have some of the straps wear out.
As described in previous posts, I would change to crampons if the need arose.

Maddy said:
I don't know if you are using the newer model. They are rubber and fit very snuggly over your hiking boot. They really stretch to fit.
They also come with velcro strap that you can use if you plan on being in a more precarious position and are concerned that they might come off. I never had one come off. The original ones were not as stable and I did have some of the straps wear out.
As described in previous posts, I would change to crampons if the need arose.

Maddy - Didn't know about that newer model...looks interesting. My questions would be does the rubber make them harder to put on as you have to stretch it over the boot for a tight fit? And how durable is the rubber?

have not used them but the take from my friends who use them is that slick glare ice(no powdery cover) dictates that crampons should be used.

I am personally at the 6 point or bareboot phase, have not felt the need to go up to 10, or down to stabilicers.

I have worn my (new model) Stablicers over ten times. they are made of Vibram rubber and hold up very well. The rivets are just starting to show some wear, and they are easily replaced (about $4.)
Nothing against Bean service wise, but I would buy them from Campmor as they are about $15 cheaper there.
I think full crampons are more desirable on steeper terrain (as mentioned) and when there is thick hard ice...

These are the originals Stabilicers:

HERE

and even cheaper HERE

And shown the best HERE

And these are the "new" slip on kind which I don't see enough traction or strap support:
New Stabilicer

I have the original model and I modified mine with better cinch straps and buckles (I modify everything I own)
And I changed several screws under the ball of my foot with sharp pointy Track Spike inserts, which was a major operation, but worth it. ;)

Bluethroatedone said:
Third time I used Yaktrax rubber snapped on the pieces of sh*&!

That seems to be normal. I got 3 uses out of them too. Even when they don't break they don't stay on very well. They do work traction-wise pretty well, but overall they are not worth it, in my opinion.

Mine Broke Too...

Bluethroatedone said:
Third time I used Yaktrax rubber snapped on the pieces of sh*&!
I got about 5 uses out of mine and they broke. The rubber snapped. I'm going to get a pair of stablicers...

-Dr. Wu

Jeff-B said:
And these are the "new" slip on kind which I don't see enough traction or strap support

Interesting, I own the 'new' model, and it is not a substitute for crampons, unless you just want to keep from falling on relatively level ground.

I was wearing them last year and the guy in front of me was bare booting. When we got to some icy rocks, he slipped, fell on his a$$, and slid off that rock down about 3 feet onto another rock! :eek: OUCH! He was ok, but he limped out of the woods. He noticed that I never fell, and I told him about the stabilicers. They do tend to slip off my boots, usually from the back. I think they are optimized to a few different shoe sizes, and mine is not one of them. :( But you can make them tighter with the use of home made straps.

spaddock said:
Even cheaper: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=40911&cat=2,51676&ap=1 $37 CDN.

Are "Icers" and "Stabilicers" the same thing?

-Shayne

Looks like the same thingies.
The Vibram sole is the same, the straps look the same too, but funny how the logo is hidden.
Could these be counterfits? :rolleyes:

Tom,
I sure won't make a claim that these are substitutes for crampons, I have both 'pons and Stabilicers :)

One thing to note about the straps on the original:
The velcro closure is a "one to one" ratio which is subject to peeling apart around the ankle when under load.
I stitched a rectangle buckle on one side and lengthend the strap so it passes through the buckle and back onto the velcro. It's the same design as the toe strap.
This makes for a solid fit around the ankles too.

Last edited:
I find the stabilicers helpful this time of year -- though I wasn't smart enough to bring them on my last adventure! In this in between time, I find that for the most part, on most trails, the ice isn't thick enough or consistent enough to warrant crampons, and that wearing crampons would basically be a pain since the spikes would likely get tripped up by the jutting rocks.

Soon enough though ... it'll be crampons de rigueur!

Used "originals" this weekend

Five of us hiked Algonquin and Iroquois last Sunday with the warmer temps. three had stabilicers and two with crampons. In the thin ice conditions and a lot of bare rock the stabilicers clearly were the better choice. They were more versatile as we alternated from ice to rock around every turn, were pretty good on the less steep spots of thin ice and were fine on the dirt, rock and snow. Didn't loosen up or fall off of any of us and only required one or fewer adjustments over about six miles. Able to wear longer down the mtn when conditions more variable where crampons were a liability. I have seen the other new model (? referred to by Maddy) - they look like an overboot with the same soles as the original. I too wonder if they will be a crampon replacement in more rigorous conditions of colder temps, thicker ice and steeper grades. In the softer ice I could stomp down and get a bite but if it's minus 15deg?
That said I was very pleased with their performance and would highly recommend them for this season with the variety of conditions which change at every turn in the trail.

I've got 12 points, I prefer bigger.

I'm in the degree of steepness, not sure about Ike but Pierce via C-Path okay, anyplace where snowshoe cleat or less would be manageable

DougPaul said:
Looks slightly different--compare them to the picture at REI:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...9&parent_category_rn=40003537&vcat=REI_SEARCH
The Stabilicers have a strap over the front of the toe. Otherwise they look the same to me.

Doug

Doug is correct!
If you look carefully, the vertical toe webbing wrap is missing on the "icer" brand.
These are not the "official" original Stabilicers for sure....
I could easily see the "icer" brand getting the toe jamb-flip-flop effect and maybe injury.
damn counterfits!

The models shown at REI and LL Bean sites are the real M'coys. ;)