Favorite handsaw.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new handsaw, and given the number of blow downs everyone has been encountering lately, I need a good one. Any thoughts?

Last year at thebackpacker.com's FYAO I used a sven saw, and some other folding contraption. The sven saw cut like butter, and the fact that I don't recall the name of the other saw says something about it...

-percious

I have an 8" Gerber saw with two blades on it. Comes in a it's own case and I use it for Trail Maintenance in the catskills.

It was $25 at EMS... Works great on anything smaller than 4 or 5" in diameter.

EMS Link

Jay

Last edited:
Are you thinking of a saw for your car or your backpack? I bought a Sawvivor but then a member here posted that it was not very good and recommended the Sven Saw. For the car I would recommend a big bucksaw and some rope! :)

Picture is a bit out of focus, but you can get an idea from:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/sawman.jpg

What do you want in a saw? One that is good for blowdown, or one that is small and you hardly notice that you're carrying it. What thickness wood are you talking about. In general, the better a saw is, the tougher it is to carry, unless you're talking about small things. Things like loppers or an axe may be better as well.

I have used a 21in sven saw for trail maintenence for several years--works great. (There is also a 15in model--haven't tried it.) Also tried a sawvivor--poor (flimsy frame flexes and blade binds)--returned it immediately.

I have tried the Gerber folding saw at home--looks like it has potential. Probably not as good as the Sven saw, but smaller and lighter.
BTW, only $15.95 at REI (wood blade only).
BTW2, I have also tried a friend's look-alike--didn't cut nearly as well.

There is also a "bicycle chain" saw which can be useful for a log on the ground that you cannot cut all the way through from the top with a regular saw. Looks like a piece of bicycle chain with teeth on one side. Can be theaded under a log and used to cut from the bottom. A specialty item--I wouldn't carry it on a normal hike.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=13553

I have also used a 3ft 2-person saw. Worked nicely for big stuff, but I wouldn't want to carry it on a hike. (Like Pete's saw, only shorter...)

Doug

Last edited:
When I do trail maintenance on my trail (Webster Cliff), I usually carry my loppers and a handsaw from the AMC’s tool cache. As of late I’ve been thinking of carry a folding saw for my winter hikes when I encounter a pesky blow down or for some other annoying obstruction that I might happen upon. Nothing too large, but large enough to saw through a few irritating branches.

Pete_Hickey said:
Picture is a bit out of focus, but you can get an idea from:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/sawman.jpg

What do you want in a saw? One that is good for blowdown, or one that is small and you hardly notice that you're carrying it. What thickness wood are you talking about. In general, the better a saw is, the tougher it is to carry, unless you're talking about small things. Things like loppers or an axe may be better as well.

now how did I know this was going to be an interesting pic! nice one!

I've got a Silky Gomtaro I really like. Not too expensive at ~$40. They make many other models, including some that fold. Price around on the web, good deals come up from time to time.
gomtaro210lt.jpg

http://wesspur.com/saws/silky-hand-saws.html

VT

I posted awhile back about my saw. I have used it quite a bit this year and am still very pleased with it. It can handle 6"-8" or more with no problem. I have it protected with a folded piece of leftover house siding when I'm carrying it in.

Quietman: I always carry this one on hikes.

I used to carry that one, I got it as a well intentioned birthday present. First hike out I hardly got to cut anything before it bound up and the el-cheapo blade snapped off in the time it took me to blink. I think the problem was that it had hardly any spring to it, i.e. much too brittle. Hopefully they've improved the blades in the interim.

My blade has been bent many times, I just bend or hammer in back into shape. It maybe a different brand.
Actually my favorite saw is the one on my swiss army knife. It's small, but it cuts through a 2x4 like butter.

My fiancee insists on packing her SvenSaw anywhere we go.....be it with the hope of an allowed campfire, or the guise of trail maintenance. ;) When forced to use it myself I've found it more effective than hiking companions alternatives, comparitively speaking.

I've used a sven saw for many years now and still have the same blade. It works very well and is very light.

BUT more Importantly Why do we ALWAYS get Pictures of PETE HICKEY Shirtless and Brandishing implements of Mass Destruction?????? :D

I agree with Quietman on the Sierra Saw that is for sale at Campmor. It has worked for me for 5 years and the only problem is that it bends, as previously mentioned. It is very sharp and weighs only 5 ounces.

BUT more Importantly Why do we ALWAYS get Pictures of PETE HICKEY Shirtless and Brandishing implements of Mass Destruction??????

Because we don't dare question Pete and his axes... I mean, you HAVE seen his avatar...

Repeat after me:

I have nothing against Pete and his implements of Mass Destruction.... I have nothing against...

:D

Jay

Rick said:
I've used a sven saw for many years now and still have the same blade. It works very well and is very light.
I'm still on my first blade too, but if you need a spare/replacement, REI carries them. (You may have to mail order them.) There are both large and small tooth versions.

Doug

Rick said:
IBUT more Importantly Why do we ALWAYS get Pictures of PETE HICKEY Shirtless and Brandishing implements of Mass Destruction??????

I blame it on my son. Here is a picture of a bunch of his friends (names changed to protect the innocent):

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/axeall.jpg

So, I let the kid take a picture of me. Then Rico talked me into posing for this one:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/tw8.jpg

I'm just easily led astray by others.

On the topic of saws, I like tools that will definately do the job. I don'T want to, in order to save weight, take a tool that may not work. If I'm going to take a saw, I'll at least take a bow saw that will cut through something 12 inches. An axe is essential, because a saw can bind. Axes don't bind.

If I have only one thing to take, it will be an axe, not a saw.