Mt Holyoke on Sat 12/3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
I climbed Mt Holyoke for the first time 3 weeks ago and then again yesterday and now I want to hike it again next weekend. Here's my plan so far:

Park at the Mountain Rd lot and take the Two Forest Tr with a side trip down and back to Devil's Football. Then up the steep trail along where the cog rail used to be, to the summit. Take the M-M east to Black Rock Tr. There's a trail off BR that heads south east to Lithia Springs Res. It's on the AMC map but not the DCR map. On my first trip, a solo, I'm pretty sure I found where that trail started but it was unblazed, so I opted to stay on the BR Tr, which was an awesome trail in itself.

From Lithia Springs, I've got two options. With a car spot at the private rd entrance south of the Visitor Center, I'd want to continue east on Lithia Springs Tr to the Mt Hitchock Tr. Then up to Hitchcock, over to Bear and down on the Bare Mt Tr back to Lithia Springs and on to the car.
Without a spot, I'd head south after checking out Lithia Springs, check out the trail to the small pond and then take Lithia Springs west to the Dry Brook Tr. From Dry Brook I might try bushwacking over to Titans Piazza. Then M-M west to the one-way rd and a roadwalk back to the car.

In either case, this will be a relatively short hike, and I want to take my time and enjoy it. Start time is 8am so there's pleanty of time before sundown.

Anyone care to join me?
Anyone have suggestions on finding Titans Piazza?

ps - yesterday's 'southbound' westbound on the M-M with Dugan Six Legs, Jade and Carmen, and KenC was a blast! Favorite scenes? "Dugan Four Legs Tackles the Horse Caves" and "Carmen Leads the Way"

more info

So, I've researched the area a little more and have a few changes to the plan:

First off, it seems that Devil's Football is uphill from the junction of Two Forest and D'sF Trs, so I wont be heading down the D'sF Tr. Secondly, I'm leaning more toward the loop version from Lithia Springs Reservoir instead of the Mt Hitchcock/Bare Mt trip. Lastly, from reading HikerBob's trip report from his trip to Titan's Piazza I now know it's west of the M-M on an unmarked trail that can be found off Mountain Rd, so I'm planning to head west on the Dry Brook Tr to the M-M, down to the road and look for the trail for an up-n-back to the Piazza. I'll see if I can spot it from the road as I head to the parking lot.

Anyone interested?

Any VFTTers ever hiked the trail that heads from Black Rock Tr to Lithia Springs Res?