Slide - catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic108

Reaction score
Planning either Friday or Saturday hike. Have not been done to Cats. since August. Did not see a recent trail report, wondering if anyone has an idea of the trail conditions, if there is any snow/ice etc.
Much thanks for any information.

medic108 said:
Planning either Friday or Saturday hike. Have not been done to Cats. since August. Did not see a recent trail report, wondering if anyone has an idea of the trail conditions, if there is any snow/ice etc.
Much thanks for any information.

I was on Belleayre Friday. Less than an inch of snow and no ice.

It looks like there will be some wet stuff of some sort Tuesday and Thursday, what it will be higher up is uncertain so far. Yesterday in the Blackhead Range there was less then an inch of snow above 3500feet, mainly in sections that face north, very little ice.

I would expect some snow and ice build up starting soon...
Kevin

MCorsar was on slide, on Sunday, Nov 13th, you might want to PM him, but probably not necessary.

Although you might want to keep an eye out on this week's weather, it is supposed to snow perhaps in upstate NY either Wednesday night or thursday...

Jay

Trail Conditions

I was on Hunter Mtn. (also a 4000'er) yesterday. The trail was in excellent shape. There was some snow, mainly a dusting, at about 3750'. Also there were some icy patches where standing water on the trail had frozen, but not a big deal.

Weather

May have to pack a broader range of gear. Looks like some snow pack for certain.

Its very rainy here in Alb. today, same south - maybe ice as well.

Thanks for all your help.

Slide

Cancled the Slide hike for 11/26 - hiking partner had limited time to hike and return for a family event. Instead went down and di North Mt. and Stoppel Point accessed off CR 18.

Found 12-14" of snow at the summit and ridge, especially on Stoppel and there was additional snow fall during the hike. Made the going a little tough. Quite honestly I could have used some light snow shoes for the last 1/2 mile.

Saw one hunter during the whole day. All in all, a good outing despite the change of plans.

Thanks to all of your help.

medic108