Mount Washington State Forest Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
No, this isn't about that Mt. Washington-sorry. My question pertains to the state forest in the extreme SW corner of the Mass border in the South Taconics. Today I called the number on this site:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm

I got a recorded message saying the park is closed for the season. Does this mean you can't even go there and hike? :confused: Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Try this number;

Mount Washington State Forest
East Street
Mount Washington, MA 01258
413-528-0330
Free - Year Round - Open Daily

Home to much of the indigenous flora of the southern Berkshires. Mount Washington State Forest is noted for its spectacular scenery and breathtaking views including Bash Bish Falls.

"Closed" around here generally refers to RV Camping, picnic or beach areas with bathrooms and concessions.

Thanks, Chip. I had a feeling you might have some info. The number you posted is the same one on the website, though. You're pretty confident that it should still be open to hikers, regardless what the recording says? I kind of figured "closed" would mean what you describe. Maybe I'll also try to main number on the DCR home page: 617-626-1250

Matt

well, the AT is definately open ;)
The number is probably one of the seasonal offices. I'll try a couple numbers tomorrow, what were you looking to do ? my only concern is that areas outside the AT (which is properly posted re. hunting) may be more "open" to hunting than hiking right now, if you follow me.

Chip said:
What were you looking to do ?

Alander, Frisell, Bash Bish Falls, all that stuff has been on my radar for a while-if I get over there, I'd probably work out some sort of loop. I'm not even sure I'll get there anytime this season. I was thinking about it as a possibility if I go up to Albany (my hometown) at all this weekend. One time last spring I hit the South Taconics AT on the way back from Albany. Basically, I've been looking at diversions from my usual Catskill stomping grounds until hunting season ends and the snow flies.

Matt

I was just talking to a friend about Alander and Bash-Bish. Thinking about doing it again within the next month. I really remember Alander with a lot of fondness. I remember the views up there at night as being spectacular.

Glad to hear that it isn't closed. :D

Keith

I've got the AMC Northwest Camp on the west side of Bear the nights of March 3 & 4, if we want to make it a VFTT weekend. The cabin holds 6 and the tent platform is for 4. All the local tri-state peaks are right there. I've already paid (it's cheap) so there'd be no expenses there.
Let me know, I'm doing this as a warm-up to the JBL trip at the end of March; snowshoes, crampons, skiis etc. If anyone is interested PM me, it'd be fun to get a group going from here.

I've hiked there is the winter and it's just the headquarters that's closed. At some point the road through the park gets gated near the AMC cabin closing off access from the south. I have a very detailed map of the area in electronic format, PM me if you'd like it. Alander has great views for a modest effort and the ridge between Alander and Brace is a beatiful hike.

I had a similar question a year ago and called the Ranger who I believe is stationed at October Mt.
All the trails are open for use. There is an area with several buildings that is the Park HQ. If you take a right while heading south and double back on the service road in that area you come to a parking lot with picnic tables and a pair of outhouses. The Ranger's house is at the end of this parking lot. There is also a big maintenance building there and the Park's HQ building which may be permanently closed because it is deteriorating.
The Ranger said I was welcome to car camp in the parking lot or set up a tent in the nearby field.
There is an apparent change to the park map which may be available at the kiosk. The old camping area on Ashley Brook Trail has been moved to a point high on the ridge on the Alander Mt. Trail.
It would be more than an hour's walk to the camping area and there is one brook crossing that could be difficult.
I hiked there last year in hunting season and heard several shots north of the trail and east of the trail that runs from Bash Bish Falls to Alander Mt.

It's funny

I'm trying to wangle out of a few things so I can make this hike on Friday. Is anyone else going to be up there?

Bash Bish falls would be fine, it's about 1/4 mile from a road!

I guess if you're staying in Albany, that would be a day trip, but bike camping in Beartown is fun, it's a nice campsite, but might be closed for the season, if it's like NY.

Jay

mcorsar said:
Basically, I've been looking at diversions from my usual Catskill stomping grounds until hunting season ends and the snow flies.

Matt

mcorsar: I grew up near Beartown State Forest and closed generally met the beach and campground restrooms (but not the campsites themselves and not the hiking trails). Same with Mt Washington. Note that hunting is allowed in most of the Mass State Parks and Forests. Shotgun season for deer starts right after Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 28th) with bear season is (I think) immediately before Thanksgiving. But watch out for the early birds; over the years we've run into them :eek:

Here's a link to MassWildlife with hunting schedule and links to Public Lands where hunting is permitted.

hunting info

Last edited:
Hunting Warning

When I was at the Mount Washington State Park there were signs on the trailhead kiosk had warnings about hunting then, and I heard a few shots now and again... I think it was turkey season then, it was a few weeks back.

They are out there... make sure you have your blaze orange on!
Kevin

Getting up the peaks from the Route 41 (CT/MA side) or off of the side roads off of, I believe it's CR22 on the NY should be fine.

I'd guess the road that goes up the middle of the plateau may be gated & any building is closed up.

I do most of my hiking in that area from CT/MA & don't recall shooting. This time of year, Orange is not a bad thing to wear. 99.9% of teh hunters are good & they know what they are shooting at, it only takes 1 bad one hunting where they don't belong or in a mixed use area being careless to ruin your day.

Mike P. said:
This time of year, Orange is not a bad thing to wear. 99.9% of teh hunters are good & they know what they are shooting at, it only takes 1 bad one hunting where they don't belong or in a mixed use area being careless to ruin your day.

That's the same advice my Dad (a deer hunter) used to/still gives us. :) IMHO there does seem to be more hunters in southwestern mass than other areas of the state or in the Whites.