softshell pants: mammut or wild things? or something else?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighHorse

Reaction score
so i've convinced myself to drop the coin on some new softshell pants...

the frontrunners:

1. mammut champ pant these are made of schoeller dryskin extreme and run about $195.

2. wild things mountain guide pants these are made of polartec powershield and are more expensive at $230.

both look pretty good, both have cargo style pockets, they both weigh about the same. in my searches on this site it appears that people rave about schoeller, but i haven't heard much about powershield. the mammuts have a reinforced knee while the guides do not, but the guides appear to have a bit more of a robust sidezip and scuff guard. on price alone, i'm leaning towards the mammuts, but i like wild things as a company...

anybody have any experience with either of these pants?

anyone with thoughts on polartec powershield? any comparison to schoeller?

any recommendations of similar offerings- highly breathable, highly water repellent and versatile?

thanks very much...

-HH

You might try Beyond Fleece

Beyond Fleece sells custom made softshell pants and coats for about the same money. www.beyondfleece.com. The ones I have are the Steel model for fall and spring. They fit great. I have some Arcteryx Powershield pants that are my main winter pair. Powershield is very windproof but more breathable than Gore Tex. Not waterproof but drys fast while you wear it. Never had any Wild Things gear but made in NH, must be good! I always laugh when someone asks about some product any everyone chimes in with what they have that is not what was asked about. Now I am doing it.

Last edited:
Any pants made out of Schoeller dryskin are great. I have the Cloudveil serendipity pants, absolutely the best winter pants I've ever used. Good in moderate to really cold temps, highly breathable and durable.

I love my North Face Freedom Pant. It has thigh vents and is very toasty. Both EMS and REI sell them - on sale till tomorrow for @ $100. I wore them the last three days and was never cold. The are waterproof, breathable, and have built in gaitors that work well.

schoeller

MikeOneill said:
You can't go wrong with schoeller.
I totally agree. I just purchased a pair of soft shell ems schoeller pants and found they offered warmth and great flexablilty when climbing.
kmac

I have a pair of EMS pants and a pair of Marmot ATV pants. Both are excellent. I doubt I'll use gortex again they are that comfortable, dry and warm.

dms said:
Any pants made out of Schoeller dryskin are great. I have the Cloudveil serendipity pants, absolutely the best winter pants I've ever used. Good in moderate to really cold temps, highly breathable and durable.

I second and third these great pants (Though I believe they are "Symmetry" pants) Definitely take a look at Cloudveil. Great stuff. Their Black Ice bibs seem to be the next gen of this line and will be my next big purchase. Probably when they go on sale in the spring.

I have yet to need to throw a pair of windshells over them. I would if doing a long cold traverse in the presis but otherwise its been base and Symmetry pants only. Can't imagine being happier with any other set-up.

Reactions: dms
Doc McPeak is correct, it is the Symmetry pant. Add them to the Serendipity jacket you'll have a great combo.

I got my Marmot ATV pants back in 2002 when I did a Presi traverse in March and as very comfortable with just the Patagonia R0.5 tights under them. I am also an advocate for the Patagonia Regulator clothing system. It's the best thing I have ever used for warmth, comfort and wicking ability. It's not cheap, but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

mediclimber said:
I am also an advocate for the Patagonia Regulator clothing system. It's the best thing I have ever used for warmth, comfort and wicking ability. It's not cheap, but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

i hear you and i agree fully... i have some of the patagonia R1 and R.5 stuff and it's probably the best stuff i own. their capilene stuff is no joke either (in performance and price); i have at least 7 pairs of the capilene boxers and a couple of other mid-weight capilene pieces. i also recently got their ready-mix softshell, which i have loved so far. the breathabilty of it is phenomenal, but if i have any complaint it's that the jacket feels a little flimsy-like it might rip easily (this may not be the case at all) and also that it offers little warmth or even feeling of protection without the hood up. in any case, with these pants i'd probably use the R.5s or capilene bottoms.

the cloudveils are now an official contender. thanks for the input thus far.

Ibex Solitude pants are amazing. I have the older Backcountry version and they are as tough as nails and in the dead of winter all you need is a light pair of long underwear.

The Wild Things Guide pants are nice as well. I have the WT Guide Jkt and it is very warm and breathable. I just wore it for the first time at Bretton Woods skiing this weekend and I remained comfy all day (with layers of course).

I just got myself a pair of Winter Wanderer pants by Mountain hardwear. THEY ARE AWESOME!! A schoeler like material, very stretcy, fleece lined pockets, and the coolest thing is the bottoms have a small hidden drawcord inside so you can cinch them closed shut, but you'd never know the drawcords are there. $89 I paid.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=1473&cat=36&viewAll=False

Mountain Hardwear is quickly becoming my new Fav gear company, I got the matching jacket last week. A $99 schoeler jacket..!!
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=1536&cat=7&viewAll=False

Next week i'm getting a light synthetic down jacket from them as well. i can't get enough

I love my Mammut Schoeller 3Xdry pants. They are perhaps my favorite piece of outdoor apparel and one of the best hiking purchases I have ever made. Might find a better price than $200 on Sierra Trading for a similar pair but it's hit or miss on size.

I fifth (or was it sixth) the Schoeller Dryskin Extreme Pants. You can't go wrong with Cloudveil, Mammut, or Marmot. There are quite a few different Schoeller fabrics. For winter use in the Northeast, I think you're best bet is Schoeller Drysking Extreme, preferably with the 3XDRY treatment. I would let the fit be your deciding factor between the different brands. I found the Cloudveil pant to fit extremely well.

The Schoeller Dryskin Extreme is a double woven fabric (nylon on the outside, poly on the inside). It will offer significantly more breathability than any bonded softshell (nylon outer fabric bonded to poly inner fabric) because the bonding adhesive reduces permeability. Powershield, Alchemy, Schoeller WB400 fall into the bonded category. These bonded softshell fabrics will be more weather resistant (wind and water), but are not even close from a breathability aspect. The bonded softshells will likely cause you to overheat on the warmer winter days. With the woven softshells, you can always throw your waterproof/breathable garment on to offer more wind resistance if it is especially cold.

In my opinion, the bonded softshells are more appropriate for ice climbing, or other winter activities that might not generate as much body heat as hiking/snowshoeing. They would also be appropriate for the colder hiker.

John

Edit: The Alchemy Jacket actually uses a Gore Winstopper laminate, but will still have very similar characteristics to other bonded softshells.

Last edited:
MH Epics are the best winter hiking pants I have ever owned.
Over the past few years,we have gone to all MH gear where possible.
Stopped in to EMS last night(sale) on our way home from Flat Mtn Pond,and EMS doesn't carry MH gaiters.Rats!