Mount Moosilauke via Glen Cliff Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
My first trip involving VFFT. My thanks to Bob and Geri for posting their trip to Moosilauke via Glen Cliff Trail and welcoming others to participate. I’m relatively new to winter mountaineering and really benefited from this opportunity to participate in an early winter 4000 footer hike. This was good place to check out my equipment and see where I could make improvements. Eleven VFFT’rs showed up including Michael J? and Christina (who baked cookies for all), Abster and companion Steve (Unfrozen Caveman), two golden retrievers Jelsi and Tuscany, Hunter, Pigpen, Hiker Fast, and myself. Pardon me if I missed someone. This was a very congenial group and we all had a very nice time. I'd appreciate it if some you with cameras would post some pictures. :D

Day was sunny to start. The fresh powder snow sparkled in the early morning sun. Snow was 5-6 inches deep at trailhead, but got deeper as we ascended making some of us wish we’d brought our snowshoes. By the time we reached to the summit ridge, it was snowing lightly. Snow depth varied between 1.5-2.0' at trail junction with Carriage Rd. Relied on other hikers with snowshoes to break trail. Postholing was occasionally a problem. The last 1/3 mile to summit above treeline wind was nasty and it was snowing harder. Nearly whiteout conditions. Those with goggles and belaclavas used them. Those without suffered. We pressed on to the summit. After ten minutes or so we descended quickly and returned via Glen Cliff Trail. The trail was nicely sheltered from high wind and snow conditions experienced on the summit.

Trail was in very good condition with only a few blowdowns that were easy to get over or around. Trail crosses only few minor streams. No water crossings worth mentioning. There were numerous other parties of hikers. This trail is well used. Trailhead parking lot was full and hikers were parking on the roadside.

Welcome to the wonderful world of trips with VFTTers! :) Glad to hear that you had a good time. It certainly sounds like you had a good crew with you.

I did Moosilauke via Glencliff on the 13th and found it to be a great (though icy) trail. Actually, I was glad for the opportunity to put both my crampons and STABILicers to work!:D

Here are a few pics from my trip.

Thanks Jazzbo for writing a trip report! It was a wonderful day and I am glad to have met you. Don't be a stranger on the trails! :)

Hanna