Speed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilgrim

Reaction score
A couple of recent threads here have focused on guys doing things fast; specifically the Everest and Cave Dog threads. They reminded me of this old video of the late, infamous Dan Osman gaining elevation briskly. I thought some of you might find it entertaining.

Faster is not necessarily better, but it can be fun to watch.

Wow, that's amazing. Made that multipitch climb, that would've taken hours, seem like nothing. Send that thing home ;)

Hey, is that Pantera in your avatar?

that's sum crazy you know what! is he still alive??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
and i thought slappin' 3/4 inch plywood on a 17 pitch roof was crazy!!! :rolleyes:

cbcbd said:
Hey, is that Pantera in your avatar?
Yeah. D. D.. RIP. Now I need a new avatar, but that's OK.

To everybody else: the next time you're sucking wind up Huntinton Ravine, or get the heebie-jeebies on Wildcat Ridge (you know where), think about this, and move on.

As other respondents to this thread have done, it's worthwhile to google Osman and learn how he lived, and died. I believe Outside did an article about him entitled "Really Quite Stupid", or something like that. Decide for yourself if you agree.

i'd say the article should've read... really quite amazin' and livin' life!
:D

I watched a documentary on him about a year ago. Talk about pushing the envelope... :eek: He was incredible though, doing things that mere mortals would never attempt. Definitely gifted. Eventually found out that he was actually was mortal... Shouldn't have tried to save some $$ by using those old worn bungee cords...

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
but, lots of folks free solo at Osman's level; it was trying to set the bungie jumping free fall record on worn-oiut climbing ropes that killed him....
Frodo said:
Shouldn't have tried to save some $$ by using those old worn bungee cords...
According to the article linked:
"...A group of them retrieved the upper sections of the jump line and sent it to Black Diamond Equipment for analysis. The results, which they have since submitted to the Park Service, postulate a theory that seems to indicate not system failure but human error: In short, Osman had failed to realize that changing his jump angle would ultimately place an unbearable load on one of the knots that connected the ropes of his jump line."