CT A.T. Winter Warm-up 12/10-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Kevin (Avatar "Gunksclimber") Dave H (a self-described VFTT "lurker" waiting to join) Maya (Dave's hiking partner) and I decided to get out into the fresh CT A.T. snow on Saturday and Sunday. We met in Salisbury and parked at Bunker Hill. As with most hikes, the first mile or 2 were the hardest, especially in 12" of fresh powder. Lion's Head was scenic and is always a pleasant surprise. We enjoyed a quick, early lunch and dropped some gear at Riga Lean-to.

The intention was to summit Bear and return to Riga Lean-To. Well, by the time I had gotten to the Undermountain Trail intersection my thighs were screaming from the fresh snow and I felt like an early supper would be more fun then pressing on. With the trail broken, the return to Riga Campsite was quick. I observed lots of deer and some coyote tracks in the snow. The woods here are dense with occasional glimpses of the valley and near summits.

After setting up we all enjoyed our own culinary selections. I enjoyed my Raman and BBQ Pork MRE combo. Maya enjoyed some of the MRE Biscuit with me. Maya's a great winter hiking dog, she would wade through the freezing streams like the snow was too hot for her feet.

Sleep was occasionally interupted by the wind, 20' temps and an inconsistent Owl or Turkey that turned out to be an old, creaking tree near the lean-to.

Up and out by 9. All in all, a great, quick winter warm-up with a few new hiking buddies. Thanks guys.

Here's the link to the photo slide-show, I think there are 19 images;

http://www.shutterbook.com/html/?username=chipdiane&albumID=41755&photoID=1036986

Enjoy !

Last edited:
Great pictures! The area was beautiful this weekend. I was up there temporarily Sat night and felt the 12" of 100% powder... man, that stuff really kills the legs and my MSR Denalis were just sinking right through it!

Good times

cbcbd said:
Great pictures! The area was beautiful this weekend. I was up there temporarily Sat night and felt the 12" of 100% powder... man, that stuff really kills the legs and my MSR Denalis were just sinking right through it!

Good times

I've got Crescent Moon Gold 9's (8” x 27”, tear-drop, weight rated to 190lbs). Between me and my pack I was probably at 205lbs, so there was no post-holing, but I could have used a lighter pack or larger snow-shoes (or stronger thighs :eek: ).
There really isn't anything that will keep you "on top" of snow like that though, I don't think.

Great Overnight Hike

What started out as a bit of a road block, or in this case, a plowed in trailhead, turned into a great overnight hike...

I arrived at the trailhead about 830 to find it plowed in, and for someone like myself with a small car, a bit of a impediment to parking... I checked up and down rt41 to see if the other trailheads were any better, and they were not... Hmm, I packed everything I needed, and then some, but forgot about if the trailheads would be cleared out...Rats! This was of course early Sat morning.

Luckily Dave came along, and let me know that the Bunker Hill parking area was plowed. Along came Chip, and we headed up to the upper parking. This kind of turned into a blessing, no one had broken trail from rt41 of course, but someone had already from Bunker Hill to as far as Lion's Head. It sure made for an easier time of hiking, Not that I broke any real trail this weekend, unless you count the distance to the privy.

We got to Lion's Head relatively quickly, although that is all in your mind when snowshoeing, as Chip pointed out at one point he thought he had hiked for at least a half an hour, and it turned out to be only 10 minutes... It can get monotonous, but we all agreed that it was a top notch day to be out hiking in the snow.

All along the way in, Dave's dog Maya pretty much lead the way, occasionally stopping to sniff and track some hidden animal and was enjoying herself as much as we were. The occasional stream crossing was nothing to her, sometimes she seemed to enjoy wading in it.

We got to Riga Shelter, dropped some gear, grabbed a snack, and continued on north. For the first snow shoe hike of the season, I was really feeling it, usually bringing up the rear as Chip motored right on. Dave and Maya were usually in the middle and Maya was just having fun racing between everyone.

After a while Dave and I turned around to head back to Riga, somewhere between Brassy Brook and the Brassy Brook shelter. We both had the same thought, we still had to hike back to the shelter, so better to turn around then burn out.

After setting up in the shelter, and an early afternoon nap, Chip arrived back at the shelter. He set up the tent he carried all day, Dave and I enjoyed a spacious, yet drafty shelter. The wind, although light during the day, was blowing from the west and would get under the eaves space of the roof line and blow in. Not bad if you were laying down, but propped up against the back wall made for a little chilly sitting. Dave brought along a tarp that we covered the front of the shelter with to help on the wind at night. A good thing too, as at times there was a good breeze blowing around.

Dusk was soon up on us as we dined al fresco to a great view, watching the shadow creep across the valley in front of us as the sun sank behind us. It was quite nice to watch the lights popping up all around in the snow covered hills. After a much enjoyed diner, we all pretty much crashed out, and ended up sleeping by about 630pm... Woooo Hoooo a bunch of party animals huh? LOL

Arising to a nice rising sun over the fogged filled valleys below us hide the fact that we were only a few miles away from civilization... The sunrises from the Riga Shelter are great, and this one was no exception... It is always a refreshing thing to awaken to a nice sunrise.

Breakfast was quickly taken care of, and we all took our time packing for the hike out. After a few short, only in hindsight and not with a heavy bag on your back, uphills, we got to Lion's Head and used the Winter Route around to the west of the top. Smart move as heading up the AT to LH was tricky with the snow shoes on, it would have been more so coming down it.

After that, it was pretty much all downhill from there, in a good sense not a bad sense. The trail passes the AT junction and continues on the blue blaze Lion's Head trail back to the parking area. We all parted ways, but are all planning to meet up again, especially when Chip has the AMC cabin in a few months.

Another great time on the trail in the NW corner of CT, meeting new hiking partners and all enjoying a great weekend out.

A few things...

Maya is one of the best trail dogs I have ever met... She is such a sweet dog, and Dave has her trained very well. I judge a good trail dog by how much she respects other's personal space. Ever shared a shelter with a dog that thinks your gear, bag or food is theirs? Not with Maya.... The occasional kiss is about all, such a well behaved pup.

Chip and Dave were fun hiking partners too, good guys. We all hiked at our own pace but it never felt like one was too strong and one was too weak, it was a nice combination.

Once again the Riga Shelter did not disappoint, jeez I love that place... It has one of those funky knee torquing/shin smashing front benches. I was told it was to prevent some animal getting in, but are just a bit tricky when they are snow covered. But, it makes for a great spot to be able to sit and cook and look out over the valley below. You know the design if you have been to shelters in this section of the AT.... There are some nice tent spots that you can use in the winter, and the little brook that flows behind the shelter was running so we did not have to worry about melting snow for water. In fact there were a number of spots where you can get water from a running source and not have to rely on snowmelt for water along the trail.

I had bought the Sea to Summit Reactor liner for my zero degree bag and brought it along... WOW toasty! Even though I could have gotten away with jus the sleeping bag; it only got to about 20 according to Chip's thermometer, I still used the liner. I was downright hot at one point, venting the bag to cool down so I would not sweat too much... I should have just gotten out of the liner in hindsight. Defiantly a good purchase.

Also if you park at the Bunker Hill trailhead, please make sure you stick to the trail and not cut down the road across the farm property there. It could be tempting, but avoid doing so.

The End! Finally I know....
Kevin