The Quest Continues (a tale of 5 ...)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
... No, not firetowers this time! :D

Laurie and I travelled to Western NY this weekend to do some hiking and check out some breweries.

We hit Watkins Glen first. You can't actually hike down into the Glen because it's too dangerous! :eek: Yeah! Like hiking up Haystack or Algonquin in the winter isn't dangerous! :eek: Anyway, we obeyed the rules and stayed along the Rim Trail. There are still some good views to be had, from the bridge, and along the cliff sides.

Next, we drove over to the Sugar Hill fire tower. This was a very short walk to a fire tower that sits atop a mostly cleared hill a few miles west of Watkins Glen. The views were so-so. It is a very nice, tall firetower, and the whole place is now a state park, seemingly devoted to equestrian pursuits in the warmer months.

After that was Ganondagan State Park, near Rochester. The park has several nature trails, with signs pointing out various flora, and how the Seneca people used them. There is also an authentic long house and hunting lodge along the trails. We managed to see a few deer and turkey as we hiked. The trails wander around the grounds, and was the reverse from what we usually do, first going down and then coming back up to the visitor's center.

The next place on our tour was a rail trail hike in the Victor area. It was a very well maintained trail, on the outskirts of the town. There is still quite a bit of wildfile along the trail.

Finally, we visited my son in Syracuse, and he showed us around the campuses of Syracuse University and SUNY ESF. Not exactly a VNB hike, but certainly some elevation gain walking around SU and ESF, and back to his apartment.

And oh yeah! We visted, Roosterfish, Market St., Rohrbachs, The Distillery, and the Syrcause Suds Factory. All had at least 1 good brew. But this is a hiking site! :D

The whole weekend probably included about 12 miles of walking and maybe 1,000' of elevation gain. It was nice to spread it out over 2 days.

Mavs! Sorry we missed you! I still have to get out to Buffalo, and the far western end of NY some time....

Glen

Tom,
I remember going to Watkins Glen when I was a kid. Lots of high rock walls and walkways for us tourists. Sounds cool.
Oh, I've been meaning to ask...where is that lean-to in your avatar? It looks like it was a little crowded that night....

Tom,
This is an especially interesting TR, given that I grew up 17 miles south of Watkins Glen, in Elmira, NY. I must have hiked the Glen about 20 times over the years, as well as every marked trail up waterfalls/gorges in the Watkins/Montour/Ithaca area.

The State Park a neat place for families to visit in the summer, with the Olympic size pool and picnic areas, as well as laser light shows in the Glen itself..

Regards,
Marty

daxegraphix said:
Tom,
I remember going to Watkins Glen when I was a kid. Lots of high rock walls and walkways for us tourists. Sounds cool.
Oh, I've been meaning to ask...where is that lean-to in your avatar? It looks like it was a little crowded that night....

Daxegraphix, I can see the place has potential for a return trip.

Leanto! LOL! I love it! There used to be one of those leantos in almost every town square in America, but like the ones in the back country, they're getting harder to find! :D

Marty, Cool! I didn't see the pool, but again, I think this would be a nice place to go back to.

Havent been out to the Glen (to hike or to have a few pops) but I'll have to get out there to check it out! Thanks for the pics and TR :cool:

Watkins Glen

I grew up about 20 miles north of WG (a long time ago), and "cut my hiking teeth" there. I am told that after being taken there as a toddler by my parents, and I would not stop dancing on the rock walls that my next "present" was one of those child harnesses. It's truly awesome. I've not seen the laser show, and really am not sure I want to. It seems to me to be such a techno intrusion on such an ancient and spectacular place. They could film a fantasy movie there and it would be believable. Move over New Zealand. ;)

Love your lean-to Tom. There's room for all.

Tom Rankin said:
Marty, Cool! I didn't see the pool, but again, I think this would be a nice place to go back to.

The pool and extensive picnic areas have a separate entrance. You can also walk about halfway up the Glen and take a side trail to it. The pool used to be first class; am guessing it still is. You get nice views of Seneca Lake from the pool, too. Highly recommended.

I live just south of WG, try to hike the glen at least once every summer. It truly is a spectacular place. For peak baggers, Jacob's Ladder at the end is a fun climb. Last time I was there, I climbed it two steps at a time passing people coming down along the way. My wife, who walked up behind me got to hear all of the "Is that guy nuts?" comments.

It is shame all of these gorges around here are closed in the winter. Oh the fun we could have....

Next time you are in the area give me a call. I would especially be up to join you at the MSB for a group summary. ;) So, what was the winner in that sampler?

Tony

i absolutely love image 3616 (gorge). :) thank you for sharing!!