Greylock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonlegit

Reaction score
Anyone been in the area recently? Lots of snow? I read some condition reports, and was just wondering what kind of base there was up there. After friday, i wonder if it would be skiable? I doubt it, but the way things are going this year, it looks like ill be able to ski it soon.

I might be in the area doing a little ground level observation on saturday...

Last edited:
Check out the Trail Conditions Page - Hopper Trail

From the trail coditions...

Date Hiked: 12/11/05

Conditions: Somewhat skiable. Still needs another good storm or at least 6 inches to avoid the rocks from the trail head in about 2 miles. Not much more snow higher up.

Comments: Great day to be out. A little too optimistic about winter arriving after hearing the Berks got a lot more snow than seems to have been the case from the last storm.

I'll second this report. Snow reports indicated 12"+ in western Mass but I was in the Taconics over the weekend and even over 2,000' there was less than a foot of snow, light and fluffy, no base, but conditions may improve this weekend :)

One way to estimate if the Thunderbolt Trail is skiable is to check the trail reports of some local ski areas. For example, the current Mount Snow report shows Jaws of Death, Dark Side of the Moon, PDF and Olympic (all natural snow expert trails) are not yet open for skiing.

aha well thanks very much guys...i feel a little ignernt now :eek: .

well looks like i might bring the skis, but ill probably hold off until a couple of more storms. Honestly, i want to pretend im in the colorado backcountry or something and build a huge kicker off the steep side of thunderbolt and then see if i can double backflip off of it. but maybe with some more snow.

looks like its raining in north adams right now. thats dissapointing. hopefully it is still snow up top...

ive been up there in an ice storm and it was really pretty though. maybe i will get more of the same.

Thunderbolt conditions

jfb said:
One way to estimate if the Thunderbolt Trail is skiable is to check the trail reports of some local ski areas. For example, the current Mount Snow report shows Jaws of Death, Dark Side of the Moon, PDF and Olympic (all natural snow expert trails) are not yet open for skiing.

We have formed a Google group to keep track of conditions on the Tbolt among other places. If you'd like to join visit:

Hoosac Range Skiing

bcskier