winter boot question--llbean wildcats

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a Columbia Bugabootoo (or similar) to me.

I've been wearing Bugabootoos hiking for the last couple of months. Thet're great for the 0-40 degree weather especially when the trails are a little soggy like they were in November, but when the temps dip below 0 or if I found myself sitting for an hour or so if below freezing temps I know they wouldn't be enough.......and I generally don't have a problem with cold feet.

My winter hiking boots, which I'll be getting out this week, have 600 grams of thinsulate. That should do the job under all but the most extreme conditions.

I have a pair of Columbia (Excellerator?) boots that are almost identical. I bought them for snowshoeing and general winter wear a few years ago. They're pretty comfortable, insulate well (and my feet get cold easily), and have held up really well.

There are two main problems with mine- One is that although they have a Gore-tex like lining, the rubber bottom keeps too much moisture in and they can get soggy after a full day. The real downside to that is you can't remove the liner to dry them, so it takes longer. Two is that due to the fact that they are "smooshier" than hiking boots, I tend to get blisters easily on my heels. That is more likely a function of my feet than the boots though.

sleeping bear said:
There are two main problems with mine- One is that although they have a Gore-tex like lining, the rubber bottom keeps too much moisture in and they can get soggy after a full day. The real downside to that is you can't remove the liner to dry them, so it takes longer.
Try wearing some vapor barrier socks or plastic bags between your liners and your boot.

My teenage son, size 12 feet, had the pull on version of those last winter. He wore them once and blistered along his ankle because the boot rubbed up and down. Bean took them back without any problem. Other than that he liked the boots very much. The tie ons hopefully won't have that issue.

I haven't had any problems with blisters with mine, they're one of my most comfortable pair of boots...They are a bit "smooshier" :) than any of my other hiking boots, I wouldn't want to wear my 10 points with them very long.

sleeping bear said:
I have a pair of Columbia (Excellerator?) boots .....

.....they are "smooshier" than hiking boots, I tend to get blisters easily on my heels. That is more likely a function of my feet than the boots though.
That ‘smooshier’ feeling may be less about your feet and more about the insulation compressing after a while. The 400-gr. Excellerators fit me just fine for half of my first winter of hiking before loosening to the point of heel lift and blisters. I got some relief by using thicker insoles. In contrast, a pair of 200-gr. Bugabootoos still fit well.

HAMTERO said:
NH Mtn Hiker, who make those boots you have with the 600 grams of thinsulate?
Rocky
They have many models in the 600-1200 gram area. Rocky has a very good reputation for quality boots at affordable prices. They're popular with law enforcement and civil service employees...No, I don't work for them, I just love they're boots and socks. My boots came from Bob's Store in Bedford, NH and my Rocky extra thick wool socks are available in the sporting goods department at Walmart, for about 1/4 the price of Smartwool.

Thanks, i'll check them out. The ones you have are on sale at Cabala's if you nedd an extra. What do you use for a crampon on those?

The LLBeans have a rubber bottom which may allow your foot to move around more. This could be why several people get blisters. Also if you need to take off your snowshoes and hike with crampons or over rock they may not offer enough protection or support. The Rockys look much sturdier. Keep in mind I generally prefer a heavier boot with good support and protection.