Baxter - Open reservation day success?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone out there attend the January 17th open reservation day for Baxter State Park in Millinocket this past January? I may be in town that day and was wondering if the 20% of all the sites available to be reserved that day were grabbed early. I dont have the option of camping out in the parking lot :) but wonder how much of a crowd was there.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Last year, my first trip, was low in numbers. In all, there were about 25 overnight campers and 25 in the "second wave" that formed up early that morning. The first overnighter got there Jan. 14th. Ironically, most of the overnight campers were pursuing the cushiest reservations, such as Daicey Pond. I went out at 3 a.m. and was #7 in the second wave line. I did not need to go at all for the reservation I wanted, but I wanted to experience the phenomenon of "The Line" before it is canceled. It was a unique cultural event, complete with its own set of honor rules, customs, and lore.