MT. Clinton Parking lot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We were quite surprise to find Mt. Clinton Road and lot unplowed Saturday AM. All the other lots on 302 were cleared. I know that the past few years the road was plowed to the gate and the lot was always cleared. Does anyone know if they have stopped doing this or are planning to keep plowing. Was it simply a matter of not getting to it yet? It seems that this is a major trailhead lot with a great deal of activity especially up Crawford Path to Pierce& Ike& beyond. It would be a shame to lose this lot for winter use. Anyone know anything? :confused: Thanks

It is definately an open lot, so I guess they just hadn't gotten around to plowing it yet.

-dave-

parking Lot plowing

The Sandwich Mountain/Drakes Brook trailhead was not plowed either. perhaps the NFS is waiting for the start of winter to plow the lots or perhaps they have no ability to plow them. I willnote the fee boxes are still prominently displayed.

I would use the highland center :D :D - can you imagine the controversy if they actually towed a hikers car? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't know they didn't want non-guests to park there - are they just trying to make more enemies in the hiking world :confused: :confused:

giggy said:
I didn't know they didn't want non-guests to park there - are they just trying to make more enemies in the hiking world :confused: :confused:

I don't think they are particularly strict about enforcing that, at least during the day. I parked in the Highland Center lot a couple of times for dayhikes last winter and didn't have any trouble. (Car was there when I returned and there wasn't a ticket or notation that I shouldn't park there.) Not sure if I would risk it overnight, though, when there are less people buzzing around the center itself.

- Ivy

Kevin Rooney said:
For the most part, that lot wasn't plowed last year since the Mt Clinton Road becomes part of the snowmobiler path, and you have to drive over this path in order to get in to the lot. Consequently, if the NHDOT plowed the Mt Clinton Road to the lot, and the lot itself, it would be obliterating the snowmobilers track for a hundred yards or so.
Wow, I made a bad assumption. In past years I parked there in winter many times. The notch will interesting for parking.

-dave-

Highland Center Parking

In fairness to the Highland Center (which I'm not totally in favor of). I inquired about parking there last year and was asked to park near the entrance to parking lot rather than close to their lodging, but there appears to be no policy of not having hikers park there. a colleague also got a free pull out of a ditch from them, so they are not all bad.

Last year in February the lot had been plowed. There was ~6" on new snow overnight that hadn't been plowed yet when I was there, but I didn't have a problem. It looked like the snowmobile trail was next to the plowed road near the gate, IIRC.

Kevin Rooney said:
For the most part, that lot wasn't plowed last year since the Mt Clinton Road becomes part of the snowmobiler path, and you have to drive over this path in order to get in to the lot. Consequently, if the NHDOT plowed the Mt Clinton Road to the lot, and the lot itself, it would be obliterating the snowmobilers track for a hundred yards or so. You may recall the 2 or more long threads here last year regarding the legal battle between the AMC and the NH DOT over the new snowmobile path and whether the AMC should have been consulted before this path was put in place.
I recall that the State and the AMC agreed that the snowmobile trail would be routed off AMC property and returned to the Cog Base Road. Also, a trail conditions report from the Twin Mountain Snowmobile Club notes that Mt. Clinton Road is now a dead end beginning at Jefferson Notch Road. It would appear that the road could again be plowed at least to the parking lot - perhaps no one told the plow crews that things have changed from last year?

Davehiker said:
Last year in February the lot had been plowed. There was ~6" on new snow overnight that hadn't been plowed yet when I was there, but I didn't have a problem. It looked like the snowmobile trail was next to the plowed road near the gate, IIRC.

Correct. The road is plowed to the parking lot entrance, as well as the lot itself. The snowmobile trail is along side the road.

Now...I thought that this year the machines would be back on Base Road, and Mt Clinton Road, would be plowed for vehicles as it always was in the past.

forestnome said:
Now...I thought that this year the machines would be back on Base Road, and Mt Clinton Road, would be plowed for vehicles as it always was in the past.
I've already gotten it wrong once on this thread, but isn't the snowmobile trail going next to the Marshfield Base road, not on it?

-dave-

David Metsky said:
I've already gotten it wrong once on this thread, but isn't the snowmobile trail going next to the Marshfield Base road, not on it?

-dave-

Yes, I thought that this year they were going to have a trail next to the auto travel lane on Base Road, despite misgivings by some that it would be dangerous. I'll call forest service tomorrow for the scoop.

The lot at the hairpin turn was not plowed all day on Saturday, but the lot down the road at the Greeley pond was clear. Just wondering why? They both are pay lots, right?

LenDawg said:
The lot at the hairpin turn was not plowed all day on Saturday, but the lot down the road at the Greeley pond was clear. Just wondering why? They both are pay lots, right?
The Hancock Overlook was on the list of places where the fee was to be removed. When I was there last fall they still had the billboard and fee tube, but there was not one of the yellow US Fee Area signs and we successfully parked for free although others chose to pay.