Cross-Country / Backcountry skiing in ADK / 24 dec

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolftone

Reaction score
I will be skiing downhill in VT on Friday, then heading west to visit my family in Syracuse. I'd like to do some backcountry (skin w/ telemark skis) or cross-country skiing between these two destinations on Saturday. With the majority of the adirondacks in that region, I should have a lot of choices.

Are there any good places to do some backcountry downhill or cross-country skiing in this area? Are there good resources to help me find such a place?

Anyone want to join me and my insane dog?

They're reporting that Avalanche pass is pretty skiable now, although Lake Colden is slushy. The steeper, rougher trails (Marcy, Wright Peak ski trail, etc.) probably don't have enough coverage yet. The Upper Works-Loj traverse is super but if you don't do it as a key-swap, it's a lot of effort to spot/retrieve cars; about a 65 mile car ride between trailheads for an 11 mile ski!

Great groomed cross country at Mt VanHoevenberg, too, if that's your thing. Or, if you like mellow, the Whiteface highway or the trip out to Camp Santanoni are in really nicely now.

teleskier said:
Great groomed cross country at Mt VanHoevenberg, too, if that's your thing. Or, if you like mellow, the Whiteface highway or the trip out to Camp Santanoni are in really nicely now.

We've done most of the Mt Van Ho/Verizon trails, all but the Ladies' 5K (?) and the upper section of Porter. Last year we tried Avalanche Pass in icy conditions and had a lot of trouble. Also the Lake Road at the Ausable Club, which was great.

So will Whiteface be okay? Or is that too much? Same question for Camp Santanoni.

Last edited:
Haven't been to Camp Santanoni yet this year but I hear they have 16" or so of snow and mid-winter powder conditions, so it ought to be great. The Whiteface road should have good conditions too but there's always the issue of wind blowing the snow away in certain places, most notably around the last hairpin turn (overlooking Wilmington). More light snow in the forecast this weekend, things should be really great up there.

thanks!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope it doesn't rain on Friday night.

ho ho ho

-k