Katahdin Resort

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
This article Proposed Millinocket Resort was linked to a thread on the AMC bb, but I have not seen it discussed here.

Questions to Mainers or others "in the know" (Spencer, Nadine, etc.):

Is this the end of the Katahdin Lake area as a buffer to Baxter State Park?

Does it mean that any land swap deal between Quimby/State/IP for this township is dead (I know they made a swap for the East Branch area further north)?

How will LURP respond?

Any opinions?

And lastly, will East Turner become a "walk up"? :D

Pb,

That resort is planned for an area south of the Park--just north of the state road as you're approaching the dike at Millinocket Lake from town. There's a big ridge there that you can see from the camp road that goes to Ambejejus Lake. West Branch area.

It would border Millinocket Lake, not Katahdin Lake. The latter is near Roxanne country, close to the East Branch of the Penobscot.

Papa Bear said:
Is this the end of the Katahdin Lake area as a buffer to Baxter State Park?

Does it mean that any land swap deal between Quimby/State/IP for this township is dead (I know they made a swap for the East Branch area further north)?

How will LURP respond?

Any opinions?

And lastly, will East Turner become a "walk up"? :D

Mad Townie's on the mark. Here's the general Hammond Ridge area (topozone). As you can see, it's well outside the park -- right near the Ambajejus/Millinocket causeway. From what I hear, it'd be relatively low-impact compared to, say, Plum Creek's Moosehead vision (which I note with pleasure has been scaled back as of yesterday).

It shouldn't affect Quimby's swap or the Katahdin Lake region, IMO, nor will it help with East Turner (unless they build a helipad).

As far as LURC goes, it sounds like a number of the Magic City residents may turn out against the project -- more on financial grounds than on conservationist principles. No application has been submitted to LURC yet, as far as I have heard.

Thanks. I misread Millinocket Lake as Katahdin Lake. Much better.

I guess the only impact I may see is if my favorite place to stay in the area - The Big Moose Inn - is adversely impacted.

Pb