Weather, snowfall totals & Ammo question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Excuse me if this is a duplicate, operator error at the keyboard.

1,) what fell in Thornton, Gorham, Franconia, etc.? Rain, freezing rain, snow?
2. ) Ammo old start from the Cog: Does it start from the lower lot or behind the building. I know it follows the river for a while but does it do so the whole way?

Mike P. said:
Excuse me if this is a duplicate, operator error at the keyboard.

2. ) Ammo old start from the Cog: Does it start from the lower lot or behind the building. I know it follows the river for a while but does it do so the whole way?

We did the Ammo trail Friday - you can start either at the lower hiker parking lot (that is not plowed) or higher up from behind the cottages that the workers stay in during the Summer.

The trail follows the river for the most part - we found it pretty easy to follow the trail.

In Bethel, about 15 miles east of Gorham, we got all rain, and plenty of it. Now it has frozen overnight. If I were heading out I'd wear plastic boots and bring crampons and axe.
-veg

Thanks, keep them coming, Thursday looks like rain or freezing rain for the drive up, accrding to what www.weather.com has for Twin Mountain, should be rain at least until I the Waterville area at least.

Toys for walking in the stuff I have still working on company. Behind the cottages, sounds good as I'll park up there with shovel in case I beat the plow in the AM.

it seems the pressies have got a buttload of snow of the last couple of days and then a whole hodgepodge of stuff coming up -

just going to post this as a FYI for the wash summit cone.

you won't have much ava danger on the ammo - but if you going up the washington cone - some of those snowfields might go (though probably not far) in the right conditions. (they can get up to 30 degrees on the cone) 99% of the time they are fine - but with the mix of precip that is predicted - that might raise some flags for me. I have heard of them avalaching before going before in rare but right conditions.

just looking at the ava report from today (you can always get good conditions from that on what exactly is going on up there as far as weather - not just ava conditions), I would go with that rather than weather.com - but thats just an opinion.

http://www.mountwashington.org/avalanche/

lots of snow moving around and I think there is another system coming in on wed and then maybe even some rain.

just a FYI - snow slabs loaded with rain might move on you - if you stay on crawford path - you would probably be ok. But I have lost that up the cone in deep snow before. I think typically, most snow gets blown the other way towards tucks and hunts, but just in case.

this post might be too cautious - but you never know.

Last edited:
Keep them coming, thanks giggy, I'm checking mwo also but looking at TWC & the mwo Valley Forecastto get an idea of road & what conditions might be at the trailhead Wind will probably transport much of the above treeline stuff over, they were getting 100+ gust before & wind is expected to be heavy today.

Here in North Conway we got a mix of sleet and rain that was covered with a dusting of snow. Washington is clear this morning and it looks like there is some new snow up there. It was raining at about 2000-3000 feet yesterday as I headed up the Washington Auto Road. Quite the mixed bag.

Mike: you most likely won't see me after all. Knee. Have fun! If things change, I'll be at Lyons, but I put that at 10% chance. Was hoping, if nothing else, to come up and ski up to Zealand Hut, but it's not looking good... Next time then...

This was a weird storm, but the backside was good for lower elevations in the whites with franconia notch getting about 8, with twin gettign 5. The high peaks did very well though and mount washington got 18 or so. I bet some of the presidentials got 2-3 feet. Along with other peaks like the bonds. oh ps..jay got 2-3 INCHES! good! -Matt

Thanks,

Sorry to hear about the knee Sherpa, hope to see you but resting it more important.