trekking poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
'sup,
Just started hiking with two trekking poles. Just bought the EMS Alpinists. It's nice that they are telescoping and they're great to hike with. It's kinda funny that I just used the pair for the first time yesterday and one of the poles bent. For the last ten years of hiking I've used a single ski pole and the thing has never bent once.
What's up with that? Anyone have similar problems? What other poles are good (strong)?
EMS is great though. They said they would replace the bent section free of chanrge. Nice.

I've had my Leki poles for about 8 years now.....the only problem I've had is when it gets quite cold, the sections slip--not a lot of fun when I am relying on them with much of my weight to get me through a tough spot....

A while back I went into Ragged Mountain to get a new pair of poles with a snap in lock made by Black Diamond. The owner of the store convinced me to purchase two new sections for my Leki poles rather than purchase the BDs. In most circles I think the vote would go to Leki poles for their quality and endurance. A decent pair will cost about $130-$150, that's a mere $17 per year for mine....

Good Luck.....Jade

Last year I bought the Black Diamonds that lock in place. Like Jade, I got tired of my prior poles slipping at the worst of times. I m very happy with the locking mechanism. Since I have only had the BDs for a year, it is too soon to say how durable they are.

I bent a Leki pole near the bottom when it got caught in rocks...When I got home, I was happily surprised that the pole had enough taper so it could be straightened in a vise and still collapse without any problems.

Personally speaking, I have not had good luck with EMS-branded Komperdell poles (twist locks coming loose causing the carbon pole to hyperextend and break), but EMS replaced them no questions asked.

slipping twistlock poles

If your twistlock poles slip, clean the inside of the tubes and lubricate the threads of the screw/expansion nut with a tiny dab of silicone grease.

This has been discussed several times recently on this BBS--search if you want more details.

Doug

I have a few sets of hiking poles, and while the older Komperdell poles did have problems slipping, the new Duo-Lock on my carbon poles seems bulletproof.

The locking mechanism is stronger on the Leki's then the old Komperdell's, I have repaired both, but both can be tightened up with a cleaning and some hair spray.

I did bend one of the bottoms of a P3 Komperdell (aluminum), but was able to bend it back, and it was purely my fault as it got jammed in some roots while I was moving faster than I should have been. The carbon poles have better handgrips and are 5.8 ounces each, which is nice for long distances. I have bent one over severely and banged them badly against some rocks when I fell on a riverbank, but they suffered no damage. Still, they are pricey at $129 a pair.

I used to hike with a pr of EMS Komperdell poles. They were a diasater. The would constantly de-telescope and the bottom ends would pull out of the rest of the pole. I bought a pr of Leki Makalu's and have not had a problem. I still have the EMS poles. I use them to prop up tarps over picnic tables when car camping....

Experience with Leki

Last month I broke a lower section of my Leki Super Makalu poles, which I have owned for several years. That night I sent an email to their customer service address asking about a replacement, assuming I would have to pay for it.

At 8 a.m. I had an email asking for my shipping address and exactly what was broken. In two days a box was at my doorstep from UPS with the new pole section--at no charge!

Now that's *customer service*.
:)

Joe

I had a pair of the alpinest.Lost one out of my truck on the northway acouple of years ago and promptly replaced them with another set of alpinest.I have used them more than my Leki's(3/pc tele vers 2/pc tele) and I like the cork grip better.E mail me If you want the half of the set that stayed in my truck.I think that my leki,s are a little lighter but the best feature is that my camera will screw onto one of the poles.

I have Leki Makula's...they slip occasionally but I'll admit that I don't take care of them at all...the outside of the tubes are considerably corroded. Someday I'll take them apart and sand of the corrosion and grease them...until then I can't really complain about one pole slipping approx. one time on each trip. It's probably my own fault.

BD Expeditions for me. They are ski poles, so I don't use them in the summer. I love the flicklock mechanism. They break down to like 19-20" into three sections, so they fit along a pack and won't poke someone's eye out.

You can buy spare lengths to use in an emergency. The lengths could be use as a tent pole section in a pinch, too.