Good Newbie Winter Trip in ADK

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rev-t

Reaction score
HI,

I have a trip schedule with three newbie winter campers. I am looking for a good place to bring them in the ADK, it does not need to be in the High Peaks. Here is the deal. They are brand new to winter stuff. I am looking for a non technichal route, snowshoes only. They do not have crampons etc, just good warm winter gear. I want to give them a FUN intro to winter camping, with some easy climbing, but nothing above tree line etc. We have three days and two nights. Any ideas?

Peace

Rev-t

If you have two cars, spot one at Adirondak Loj and then drive around to Upper Works. You can hike in to Flowed Lands/Lake Colden for night one, through Avalanche Pass to Marcy Dam for night two, and out to the loj. One of the classic through hikes, low miles, impressive scenery.
If you've only got one car, park at the Loj, hike in to Marcy Dam and stay there both nights. Use one day to go up to Avalanche Lake, and the other to hike to the base of Wallface.

Middle Settlement Lake in the Old Forge area. Lots of loop possibilities and several lean-tos. Nothing to climb in there except a few small hills. Near there is Woodhull Mt and lake offers a fair size mountain with fire tower. There is a lean-to on the lake and assorted routes are possible. Nothing I can think of in there would require anything more than snowshoes. Both are in the ADK Mt Club's Guide to the West Central Adirondacks. Noticed your avatar says Rochester so this is reasonably close to you.