Are Yukon Jack snowshoes any good?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Reaction score
All I can say about these snowshoes is that they are currently quite cheap at SAM's Club and look fairly good. But I have never heard of them and have a sneaky suspision that they would work great for about two hikes and then quickly degrade.

Anyone have any experience with these snowshoes? I need some 30" shoes! 25" are too small.

Thanks,

Brian

do you mean yukon charlies? If so - I have a pair and basically use them when I have to - they are OK - they do the job for the most part. are they better than MSR's, etc.??. probably not even close - but lets put it this way - I am not a hardcore snowshoe'r. I try to use them as little as possible!!

but they work for me. before I bought them - I ask a similar question here and all pretty much said they were decent. I would agree with that. But don't expect MSR, tubbs, etc...

If its yukon jack - then its different than what I have.

Don't know about the snowshoes, but the whiskey sure is good. Even comes in a plastic pint bottle so no glass is carried. :D

I think I have a piar of these. I know I got them at Sam's club about three to four years ago. I am not a hard core snow shoeer but do get out quite often on them. I have hiked five of the 46 peaks with them and never had any problems with them falling off...actually they have out performed more expensive brands in most cases. The only complaint I have is that it is difficult to pull the straps tight on your boot. If you have a boot that does not accept them well you could have some problems.

Oh, I think they were Yukon Charlies. They have a picture of that 'prospector' on them. I snowshoe a lot and have Koflach plastic boots. I have a pair of Sherpa Snowshoes which are really nice but they are too small for my combined weight when facing deep snow.

The $74 price tag is very tempting (even comes with poles though I can't imagine they are very good).

I have a pair, finally got to use them this season after having them collect dust, and I would say they seem to work very well. I am a large guy, and with either a full winter geared-up pack or a light day pack, they have preformed with no problems.

Hoping to get out later tonight for a nice hike after work with them...
Kevin

Thanks to all.

From this and other threads it sounds like they are worth the chance. Now all I need to hope for is some decent snow!

Brian

I too have a pair of Yukon Charlies from Sams. I have only walked about 30 miles in them so far including one Adirondack High Peak. They have yet to fail but wonder how long they will last for the modest $70 price tag. I used the poles as my summer trekking poles and the adjustment joints started slipping and would not tighten up. I set them to a fixed length and duct taped them in place. I think they were a decent buy for a first pair when my wife and I were not sure how much we would actually use them. She has a pair also. I'll be using mine Jan 21 up in the Dacks again.