An odd trail observation; Navy blue Scat !

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Snowshoeing Monday on a nice piece of state property near me I came across a first; a patch of blue stained snow revealed fresh blue scat. Larger, longer and less regular than deer pellets, about an inch or so in length. In the area there were rabbit, turkey, squirrel, fox, deer and coyote tracks in the fresh snow. There were also tracks I figured were a feral cat or bobcat, but I failed to examine the "blued" area well for tracks.
Any theories ?

Blue bear scat

Hiking a trail in the Green Hills Reservation in No. Conway in October, I encountered a fresh plop of navy blue bear scat on a ledge, which puzzled me. Bears love blueberries but this was a good month after the last blueberries, I'd estimate. Do they stash them somehow?

Ha ! Clever campers, smurfs and cookie monsters !
But did they scat, or were they scatted ? :eek:

I'm thinking a racoon got into some blue frosting, but I like your ideas better.

Blueberries give a dark blue color. It is hard to tell it is blue, unless you smear it (don'T ask me how I know). I would think that a blue color would come from some artificial food dye. Maybe a lost bag of Garorade mix powder.

Smurfs are extinct in the NE.

Babe the Blue Ox? Since Paul stole that truck Babe's been wondering about aimlessly.

Might expect that color scat from a summer diet of berries but this time of year :confused: Internal bleeding can darken a stool considerably. Were there a lot of empty ibuprofen or whiskey bottles around?