Trails in Waterville Valley area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Are there any hiking trails right near Waterville Valley ski area, preferably with the trailhead near the skiers parking lot? If not, what's the closest 3500' plus peaks? Thanks. (Reason: I have friends who want to go skiing, and I want to go hiking.)

Mt. Tecumseh trail up Mt. Tecumseh. The trailhead is right there in the lot. It goes up in the woods to the right of the ski area, with a couple of short viewpoint paths that cut over to a ski trail and to the bottom of the upper lift, then up top the summit is off to the right, but the Sosman trail on the left can take you over to the very top of the ski trails.

So you can not only hike while they ski, but even stop and visit with them at a couple of points.

Mt Tecumseh Trailhead is in the Watervilla Valley Ski Area - right next to parking lot #1..

Livermore trail isn't far at all and you can drive to the trailhead. You can access the 4,000 foot Tripyramids by either the South or North Slide trails or Scaur ridge. You continue straight on the road down towards Tripoli road, the trailhead is plowed. South Slide and Scaur ridge were fun hikes in winter.

Here is a basic map of Waterville

You can also get to the trail up East Osceola via Greeley Ponds, about 3 miles from the Livermore Trail parking lot. It's only a mile longer than the access from the Kanc. There are numerous other trails to little viewpoints throughout the area as well.

Sandwich Done

Don't forget Sandwich Dome...the Drakes Brook trail and Sandwich Mtn trail leave from Rt 49 just before riding into Waterville Valley. Its a great hike...and Drakes Brook isn't very steep if you want a more mellow ascent. Thats my recommendation...and underrated gem. :)

grouseking