Edmand's Path in Winter Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
When accessing Edmand's Path via Mount Clinton Road in the winter is it possible to park near the Base Road, or do you have to access from the south (Mount Clinton Road Parking Lot in Crawford Notch?)

Always trying to shave a mile!

In prior years the Clinton Road was usually open and plowed (though its use was "officially" discouraged), so I always parked in the Edmands Path lot. Now that it is a snowmobile route, the game changes...Your question is an interesting one, and would indeed shave over 3 miles RT. I don't have an answer for you though, and am not sure if calling the Cog would give you the answer that you're looking for, but it's a good place to start.

I'm sure many here would be interested in what you find.

We used to be able to fit a couple of cars in the Ammonusuc parking lot then you could walk to Edmunds trailhead but they have strung some orange tape or something right down to the road and it's got piles of snow blocking it too. On Saturday when we hiked Jewell we had to park at the Cog and avoided paying their fee by parking way down low. I didn't see any parking at all on Base road, if it snowed while you were hiking you could get nailed by the plow truck.

SherpaKroto said:
In prior years the Clinton Road was usually open and plowed (though its use was "officially" discouraged), so I always parked in the Edmands Path lot. Now that it is a snowmobile route, the game changes...Your question is an interesting one, and would indeed shave over 3 miles RT. I don't have an answer for you though, and am not sure if calling the Cog would give you the answer that you're looking for, but it's a good place to start.

I'm sure many here would be interested in what you find.

The folks at the cog told me there is no parking along the road, but only in the various legal lots...

Mike if they tell you it's $10 to park, that's only in the upper lot near base station. You can park down low for free. On Saturday there was plenty of space plowed out, I don't remember seeing more than 5 cars in the upper lot.

It's been a while since I actually measued the distances of the Clinton Road from 302 to Edmands & then Edmands to Base. I want to say it's around 3 to 3.5 miles.

However, I've walked both sections in the last 19 months. Granted, the walk from Edmands to Base was after hitting four peaks but it's at least a mile IMO & felt longer. I'm tempted to say if the Edmands lot is not in the middle of the Mt. Clinton road, it's not that far off.

Early winter or with low snow may not be bad but Edmands Path does have issues. One hiker died in winter a few years ago. People underestimate the weather because this seems easy, it is in Spring Summer & fall.

Once you come out of the trees you are real open. The other thing I know experienced hikers have problems with on Edmands is when there is a lot of snow finding the trail after it breaks out of teh cover. It's roughly 3/4 mile each way out in the open, not bad but if you are out there longer than expected trying to find the trail that 1.5 RT is significant in bad weather.

It's a nice walk on the Crawford Path too.

No map in front of me, but I think the walk would be much shorter from Base Road, which of coarse is now open for autos. My guess is that you could bring a shovel and make a spot to park there, and walk to trailhead on packed Mt Clinton Rd.

However, in the past I have started up Edmunds Path in winter, but turned back and opted for Crawford Path due the constant engine noise of the machines on Base Rd. It just didn't feel right.

It's been flurrying in the mountains, off and on, for the past few days. I think you'll find Crawford Path very beautiful. :)

Happy Trails!

Looking at the map it looks about twice as long from the Mount Clinton Parking area than from Base Road (to Edmand's Path.) I would guess over 2 miles from Mount Clinton and over one mile from Base.

Looking forward to getting out - its been a month!